Recent Ebay selling prices...

#1 by Greg Perry , Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:15 pm

It has been a while since I have posted one of these lists (prices in USD)...

Super 8:
The Jungle Book, 22 bids, $448.24
The Lion King, 9 bids, $475.66
Raise The Titanic (Scope), 2x 1200, 36 bids, $358.99
The Quiet Man, 9 bids, $264.81
Casablanca, 5 bids, $505.75
Bambi, 18 bids, $354.97

16mm:
The Rescuers, 4 bids, $430.00
Star Wars IV (LPP), 44 bids, $1,691.00
Bambi, (LPP), 30 bids, $810.00
Father Christmas w/ Muffin the Mule, 4 bids, $215.16
Chip and Dale, "Out on a Limb". 10 bids, $182.50
Halloween II (Scope), 46 bids, $1,679.81
The Ten Commandments, (LPP), 18 bids, $2,027.00

This is just a tiny snapshot of some of the films I happened to take note of out of curiosity on what they might sell for.
Note though, that one would have saved roughly $450.00 by purchasing the Super 8 copy of 'Bambi' copmpared to the 16mm print!

Any other notables that I missed?

The following members like this: Martin Dew and Gwyn Morgan

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

Last edited 03.24.2021 | Top

RE: Recent Ebay selling prices...

#2 by Tom Photiou , Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:35 pm

Greg, when you see like this it is insane, good that our films seem to be worth something though.
I think if anyone had guessed at these prices ten years ago we'd probably have a laugh.
The question is though, how long will it last?
As people have said before, it's ok while projectors are available but once these become difficult to get hold of in good working order then the films will become almost useless. I know we are a way off from that but there has to be a point were good projectors become hard to find.

Greg Perry likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#3 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:35 pm

More money than sense springs to mind ,but as said,as long as the bottom doesn’t fall out of it a good film will command a good price.
I personally would not pay some of these prices just to have a film sitting around I would want to play it everyday to get my money’s worth LOL.
Still good luck to the buyers each to his own.

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Tom Photiou

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#4 by Maurice Leakey , Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:50 pm

Quote: Tom Photiou wrote in post #2
..... there has to be a point where good projectors become hard to find.....

And, this also applies to a knowledgeable engineer.

Maurice

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Robert Crewdson and Martin Dew
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#5 by Greg Perry , Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:51 pm

This may sound odd, but one thing I am hearing is that with the Covid lockdown for the past year, some segments of the population haven't been able to spend their disposable income on travelling/vacations, concerts, sporting events etc. so collectible prices have been going even more crazy than usual--at least in the US. A good friend and his father buy and sell 'road art' and old farm tractors at auctions here. If you think film prices are high, some of the prices for old farm & gas station signage go for thousands a piece quite regularly......and those things take up even more storage space than films do...

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

#6 by Greg Perry , Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:00 pm

Both Tom and Maurice raise a very good point about the difficulty in repairing projectors without the requisite knowledge and experience like our well-known technicians have. Board-level electronics knowledge and service can be found through those that repair older audio equipment such as amps, receivers, reel to reel tape decks etc. However, the critical expertise of knowing what a projector does and how and why it does something is of course missing. I am at a loss as for a solution to this dilemma as these services become less available.

Martin Dew likes this

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

#7 by Tom Photiou , Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:33 pm

100% agree with Maurice, especially knowledgeable engineers.
If it wasn't for Bill Parsons i would have sold up long ago. It may sound a bit extreme but while i can tinker and do the basics, (very basics) getting it right to run properly with all the correct adjustments is the work of an expert. As i found out out recently with my SL2, it is easy to slip up trying to do something with good intentions, again, in the case of my 16mm projector, Kevin Brown came to the rescue. I was only very lucky that someone in work travels and was able to deliver and collect in order to save a small fortune on shipping. As Maurice said, Bill is now retired so we do only have Kevin Brown for 16s and possibly John White for 8s.
Lose the experts and things go downhill fast. While i have taken my very first NT1 apart and put it back together, it did work, it did show films, but those very fine adjustments to make sure it runs smooth, quite and doesn't damage films is a level that only a proper engineer can do.
Regarding those prices, as a seller i would be happy to get those sums but could never justify paying those prices for a movie. As Gwyn said, they sit on a shelf for the most time, many not getting past two or three viewings.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#8 by Martin Dew , Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:21 pm

Yes, and John White is excellent. Thank goodness for the man who actually worked for Eumig!

Also, Greg, correct me if I'm wrong, but having lived in the US for more than 20 years, I noticed that second-hand goods in the US tend to go for higher prices generally than in the UK. I think it's simply because distances are greater, and therefore it's less convenient to travel to pick-up locations, conventions, repair services etc. That limits a lot of people out in the sticks, so people are more likely to pay a premium for collectors' items.

I think that's also why Craigslist.com - which I used a lot - has more traction stateside because it's literally a local noticeboard.

Tom Photiou likes this

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

Last edited 03.25.2021 | Top

#9 by Greg Perry , Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:18 am

Hi Martin,

Interesting point you raise there, and I agree prices for used items (projectors, films, other collectibles) are higher here in the U.S. You are spot on about Craigslist--since it is local there is no shipping or packing costs for the most part. Most everyone that lists items there is does so with the expectation of a local sale and direct pick-up. I also have gotten lucky at local estate sales for projectors and related items. There must be something like Craigslist that exists in the UK too?

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Martin Dew

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

#10 by Robert Crewdson , Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:46 am

I think we do have a Craigslist in the UK. On the subject of projectors getting old, it's a good idea to stock up on lamps. I recently bought about 20 exiter lamps for my TQ1.

Greg Perry sais Thank You!

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#11 by Maurice Leakey , Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:32 am

If the lamp of a TQI hasn't been converted it is wise to also stock up on its main lamp, the A1/235 which may now be obsolete.
My TQI projectors have all been converted to use the easily obtainable ELC (A1/259).

Maurice

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson, Martin Dew and Greg Perry
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#12 by Martin Dew , Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:51 am

Yes, we have Craigslist here too, Greg, but I'd say it's low on the radar. Seems to be quite popular with 2-channel audio buffs.

Greg Perry sais Thank You!

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#13 by Greg Perry , Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:20 pm

Robert, I also just bought bulbs for the various projectors to have a few extra spare EFP, EFN and EFR types. I will also be looking to add a spare belt set for those projectors used most often.

Robert Crewdson likes this

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

Laurel & Hardy, always affordable
Yaphet Kotto.RIP.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor