RCA Hollywood

#1 by Terry Sills ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:23 pm

I am currently having trouble with the take-up on my Hollywood. It's fine up to about 1000' but after that it really struggles. The spring belt jumps about and the take -up reel virtually stops. There is a clutch system on the lower reel arm which should increase the tension as the weight of the take up reel fills with film, but obviously it's not working correctly. I've taken the clutch system apart and cannot see any obvious problem. Any ideas anyone?

Terry Sills

RE: RCA Hollywood

#2 by Robert Crewdson , Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:34 pm

Is the spring belt ok Terry; do they take a different size belt to the old B&H projectors?

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#3 by Terry Sills ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:25 pm

Robert
Yes the spring belt looks to be in good condition but I'm wondering if it's the correct size (thickness). I'm also considering trying using a nitrile belt which would give more traction, but in the past I have found that trying to join the two ends is not always successful, especially when much tension is required. It nearly always causes the join to fail.

Terry Sills

#4 by Terry Sills ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:39 pm

I may have solved the problem. Made up a nitrile belt and take up is fine now. It is also much quieter when running film without the spring belt clanking about. Very pleased - just hoping the join holds out.
Thanks to Robert for kind offers of help.

Robert Crewdson likes this
Robert Crewdson sais Thank You!
Terry Sills

#5 by Robert Crewdson , Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:56 pm

Hope it continues working Terry.

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

Film Memorabilia
Storage problem