Oliver Twist (1948)

#1 by Greg Perry , Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:55 pm

Last night I watched the 1948 David Lean directed film "Oliver Twist". This copy is in good condition, with a few black lines here and there. Of course, Director David Lean went on to direct "Lawrence of Arabia", "The Bridge Over the River Kwai" and "Dr. Zhivago" among many others. David Lean was in fact married to Kay Walsh who played Nancy in this film. Next we have Anthony Newley who portrayed the 'Artful Dodger'. Mr. Newly went on to a very active career in songwriting, singing, acting and scriptwriting. He was interested in home movies and supposedly filmed his first date with his future wife Joan Collins. Newley co-wrote the lyrics to the great Shirley Bassey song 'Goldfinger'. He also wrote many of the fun little songs in the 1971 film "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" Then of course, Alec Guinness as Fagin, who had a very long and successful career before his role as "Obi Wan (Ben) Kenobi" in Star Wars. And finally, we have John Howard Davies who portrayed little Oliver Twist. Davies became a producer, and is the idiot who so rudely and cruelly dismissed Benny Hill from ITV.....I really enjoyed this film and hadn't ever seen it before (but have seen the 1968 Oliver! numerous times). This is the perfect story to be in glorious B&W...

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Robert Crewdson, Tom Photiou and Gwyn Morgan

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

RE: Oliver Twist (1948)

#2 by Robert Crewdson , Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:32 pm

I have a copy of this ass well from D.C.R. Films, and the trailer. You would also enjoy 'Great Expectations', also from David Lean; in my opinion, two of the best films to come out of a British studio. Director Brian Desmond Hurst studied under David Lean, and you can see the influence in is films Scrooge and 'Tom Brown's Schooldays'.

Greg Perry likes this

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

RE: Oliver Twist (1948)

#3 by Tom Photiou , Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:17 pm

Great Expectations is one i would like to get hold of, preferably on 16 for sharpness of image.

Robert Crewdson likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Santa's Workshop (1932) and The Night Before Christmas (1933)
A yank at Oxford

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor