Fun reel of logos and a message from the management

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:28 pm

A little reel i got earlier in the year. Its on a nice full 100ft spool and it contains some logo's and a message from the management, raised a good laugh when i first saw it as i didn't expect it but it also raised a very loud smile from each audience showed it too.
The reel contains, among other items, a few different THX sound system intro items including two real gems, one being the version where the THX breaks down along with the music, then a CGI character, called Tex, flies in and opens a small door on the "X" letter and takes out a tool box to repair it. On the DVD you hear the sound from all the different speakers as he flies out of screen banging stuff and hammering before the sound comes in loud and clear and the THX logo raises back up.
The other one, (among a few others) is from 1994, an episode from The Simpsons family in the theatre watching "Siskel & Ebert: The Movie", ending with Grandpa Simpson yelling out "Turn it up! TURN IT UP" as the THX note rings out.
Finally, a message from the cinemas management to the audience. No need for me to explain, the screenshots do that.

BTW, the deep note of THX is apparently called "Wings".

While all my 8 and 16mm films only go through an old analogue amp, the sound is top quality. The image is pin sharp and the colours excellent.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson, Martin Dew, Greg Perry, Eivind Mork and Gwyn Morgan
Clyde Miles sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 12.27.2020 | Top

RE: Fun reel of logos and a message from the management

#2 by Martin Dew , Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:17 pm

Great to have some THX trailers, Tom. I'm still looking for some!

I was in the marketing department at THX when we devised that first trailer, known as TEX. The animation was by our Bay Area neighbours Pixar. At around the same time, the Simpsons episode with THX aired and the producers asked if they could edit a 35mm trailer for us. Naturally we said 'yes' and it became one of our marketing materials.

The 'Deep Note' sound originally came from our 1983 'Broadway' trailer, named after Broadway Melody. All our trailers were named after Oscar winning Best Films.

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Tom Photiou and Gwyn Morgan

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#3 by Tom Photiou , Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:41 pm

Great information Martin, thank you, i cant believe how long ago it was when the first one came out, am i right in saying it was around 1983?

Martin Dew likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#4 by Martin Dew , Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:05 pm

Yes, it was for the release of Return of the Jedi. The first THX Certified screens opened in time too, as the trailer could only be shown in them.

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#5 by Tom Photiou , Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:19 pm

I remember when i first put a DVD through a 5:1 amp with this THX intro, it was something else. We were lucky to be a generation who appreciated the advances in digital sound after all the years of mono and stereo sound, not that there was anything wrong with good old stereo. In fact, all our films are projected with twin mono via a 70s amp. Still sounds great.
These THX trailers are truly outstanding on our 16mm Eiki's, the first one to get the treatment was the NT1 Hugh scott sent me, you just would not believe that the image and sound was coming out of a projector thats 3-40 years old.
I wonder how many of todays digital units will still be around in 40 years time.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Storage problem
Thoughts on lamp output

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor