Siemens 2000 16 mm Projector and Amplifier - Quality Opinions

#1 by Joseph Billings , Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:55 am

Does anyone have any experience with the Siemens 2000 16 mm Projector and Amplifier? It looks like a fine machine in photographs. I am curious how it compares to other 16 mm projectors e.g. the Elmo CL and Kodak Pageant. I have no experience at all with these machines, and I am actually awaiting the arrival of my first --the Elmo Cl. Thank you!

Joseph Billings  
Joseph Billings
Date registered 10.12.2020

RE: Siemens 2000 16 mm Projector and Amplifier - Quality Opinions

#2 by Maurice Leakey , Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:47 am

Joseph

The Siemens 2000 was very much a professional model with quite a few variants, beautifully made and very heavy. If you can find one in fully working order it might be a great machine to own. But for normal use it may not be suitable, probably more for a static installation.

I have a Kodak Pageant and an Elmo 16-CL. Both very nice projectors, the Kodak takes more time to set up as it has a separate external loud speaker. The Elmo is a much more useful projector as it is a one-piece unit with a built-in loud speaker. Also, as it is a slot-loader, the threading is very quick, and it also has the advantage of being able to remove a part run film in an instant. It can also rewind through the projector.

Hope you enjoy your Elmo.

Maurice

The following members like this: Martin Dew and Greg Perry
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#3 by Joseph Billings , Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:51 am

Maurice,

Thank you for the reply. Why do you think that the Siemens would not be suitable? Do you mean primarily because it is heavy? I am most interested in brightness, rock steady image, and noise --apart from over all quality (reliability and gentle on film) of course. Regards, Joe

Joseph Billings  
Joseph Billings
Date registered 10.12.2020

#4 by Maurice Leakey , Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:10 am

Joe
I said that it is more suitable for a static installation, this is due to its size and weight.

Maurice

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#5 by Ian Partridge , Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:33 pm

I have got about five of the Siemens 2000's. Includes a transistorised version and two double bands. The are superbly made modular professional machines with refinement like altering the optical tracking, two and three bladed shutter adjust and the fibre sprung film shoe is very kind to prints. The double band machines enable separate magnetic recording and playback, in combination with the optical and mag stripe playback and magnetic stripe record facility. The motor speed is infinately variable. The Universal amplifier is valve and the lamp is 1000 watt tungsten. There are other amplifiers on the non double band machines. If you have the knack of it, you can detatch the complete intermittent cam and shutter lens barrel assembly in one second for cleaning and maintenance, and refit in an instant.

Drawbacks are the wire wound lamp resistance and the tungsten lamp so you get a very hot running machine. Also the motor running background noise cannot be eliminated sufficently for a clean sound transfer. Possibly because the suppression of the old dry electrolytic capacitors has diminished. But I suspect that you could always detect the interference of the motor brushes sparking even when the machines were new.

There were quartz lamp versions too, and just about every 2000 you come across will be different in some way.

Ian Partridge
Date registered 08.18.2015
home: Colchester, Essex. United Kingdom
ThankYou 16

Last edited 10.30.2020 | Top

16mm bandsaw print HULK 650'
Bandsaw print sold for over 400 quid.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor