Capacitors Health relating to ESR values

#1 by Philip Murat , Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:44 am

Hello,

As Paul Browning already mentionned in a post on other Forum, measuring Capacitors ESR is a very good thing to get an idea of capacitors performances and health:
ESR means Equivalent Series Resistance. To make simple , bigger is capacitor , lower is ESR.
Exemple : A 4700µf Cap can show a good ESR around 0,02 Ohms, however, a 100µF Cap (Electrolitic too) can show a good ESR around 1 Ohms.

But a 4700µF Cap showing a 1 Ohms ESR (or higher) is poor and will fail certainly soon......

There are number of small tools on WEB to measure ESR for few money and easy to use (first price around 10 Euros)

Some capacitors are sold under label "Low ESR" , often times the are rated up to 105°C : There are designed for "High Frequency current" (Modern Power Supplies , etc....)
Do not use ordinary caps (poor ESR and 85°C Temp limit) for Modern Power Supplies as they overheat and fail early.

Here is a guide chart to give a general idea :

ESR is :
- Frequency-dependent
- Temperature-dependent
- Changes as components age

It is usually only an important consideration in selecting Electrolytic capacitors.

ESR values also depend on Capacitors families (Electrochimical, Tentalum, Polyester, etc.....)

The following members like this: Del Phillipson, Eivind Mork and Gwyn Morgan
Del Phillipson, Tom Photiou, Eivind Mork and Greg Perry say Thank You!
Philip Murat  
Philip Murat
Date registered 09.08.2017
ThankYou 44

RE: Capacitors Health relating to ESR values

#2 by Eivind Mork , Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:57 pm

This is great reading! One of the goals for me is to learn more about electronics so I can do more repair work on my projectors. So I love to read things like this!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#3 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:46 am

As someone who does not touch electronics i also find this very informal. Thank you.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

#4 by Paul Browning , Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:57 pm

these are more important when can understand the reasons and what they do. I tend to check new components too not just the old one's, before they get replaced. I 've learned a bit more since, especially with these machines as old as they are, the beaulieu is one difficult machine to repair, and you can give up or as I do walk away for a time. I have reached my limit of understanding the theory, but I like the hands on part. Philip has been a great help and as helped me move along a bit more , we bounce ideas off each other but he's a good source of info and friendly too, he's a good guy really. As much as I'd like to ask Bill, the man's retired and i don't think its fair to keep firing question at him over the phone, I know people do and if they get there answers then that fine too. its nice to handle a few jobs yourself, but don't get too big for your boots, or it will bite you on the arse.............

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

Which Is Which?
IMPORTANT INFORMATION BLACKPOOL 2020

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor