Latest Aquasitions

#1 by Gwyn Morgan , Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:56 pm

Picked up these two from a private seller yesterday,apparently only been used to show 200 / 400 ft family sailing films.The Elf is in very good condition and looks to have been hardly played,the B and H standard is in good shape for its age just old and dusty.The B and H came with some spare spools and two lamps ,original box,and oil container.Both machines have there instruction manuals and the splicer was thrown in as well.
As you can seen from the last two photos the take up arm of the Elf has an extra attachment,anyone know what it is or does.I assume its some sort of tension attachment you tighten or loosen the nut???Anyone confirm please.

There is no means to tension the take up belt on the arm itself so I assume that’s what it does.

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Eivind Mork and Martin Dew

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

RE: Latest Aquasitions

#2 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:38 pm

That Eiki really does look like new, i was lucky like that with my SLT2, then got hold of it

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

#3 by Maurice Leakey , Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:13 pm

Gwyn

The required torque on the Elf take-up is obtained by adjusting the screw on top of the arm.

The G.B./Bell & Howell 606 was made not far from where I live. At Mitcheldean in the Forest of Dean.

During the war the buildings housed the GB 16mm Film Library. After the war the factory produced the new cameras and projectors under licence from Bell & Howell. The first projector was the sound model 601, this GB (Gaumont British) called the Bell & Howell/Gaumont. However, French Gaumont objected to their name being used as it was nothing to do with them. So the name was quickly changed to G.B./Bell & Howell.

When the 25 year licence with Bell & Howell terminated the factory rebuilt to make the Rank Xerox copying machines.

G.B. was now part of the J.Arthur Rank empire so they turned to German Bauer for their 16mm sound projectors. The Bauer P.6 becoming known as a Rank Aldis.

Maurice

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Gwyn Morgan and Greg Perry
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

Last edited 07.14.2020 | Top

#4 by Gwyn Morgan , Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:17 pm

Tom,
The Elf is as new really,since I posted I have run a short and the picture is rock steady and the sound is booming I don’t think it’s had any prolonged runs,when I took the back of it was like new,the belts perfect no cracks and clean as a whistle throughout.

Maurice,
Thank you for confirming what I had thought,first time I’ve had a machine with this type of fitment.
The 606 is also as new just dirty as came in its original cardboard box and I would think has been standing around for years.It came to life first time I powered it up though.Thank you for the history it’s always nice to know how machines came about,especially the way names changed.

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#5 by Maurice Leakey , Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:02 pm

Gwyn

There were three variants of the 606.

606:- (Also known as a Screen Master). 400 watt lamp. 110/250 volts AC/DC. With built in resistance. Only one switch controlling motor and lamp together.

606M:- 500 watt lamp. 110 volts. AC/DC. No resistance. Two separate switches for motor and lamp.

606H:- 500 watt lamp. 200-250 volts. AC/DC. No resistance. Two separate switches for motor and lamp.

I have the latter which lives in a nice wooden case.

Maurice

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

IMPORTANT INFORMATION BLACKPOOL 2020
Flintstones box art for 400ft col sound

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor