I finally repaired my Elmo 16CL

#1 by Eivind Mork , Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:21 pm

For the last year, my Elmo 16CL haven't been running. It is my main 16mm projector and is located at the cabin, and even though I have an old manual Bell & Howell at home, it is nothing like the ease of using the channel loading Elmo 16CL. So the last year, I haven't seen much 16mm. I have tried figuring out what was wrong, but my lack of electronic skills was just too evident.

In short it has had no sound. At least most of the time. If I ran it for a while, the sound would come back some times. All the fuses were ok. When the sound was gone, the exciter lamp was dead. Last weekend I took another closer look, and the amplifier worked even though the lamp was off. If I used an other lamp and lit into the sensor, I would get some audio. When the lamp was out, I got 0.5V on the lamp socket. It should have been 4V.

When I got back home, Greg had found two interesting links for me:
1. http://16mmfilmtalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=...ridge+rectifier - This is a forum post over at the 16mm film forum that described my problem exactly, with the same measurements to the lamp socket. It suggested I had a bad bridge rectifier.

2. A youtube video where someone made a step by step guide to replace the bridge rectifier on an 16CL:

The symptom of a bad rectifier on the 16CL was to have 0.5V on the lamp socket, just what I had, so I took the chance and ordered a new part from the US. It arrived in two days, so I got it in time for this weekend at the cabin.

I started by measuring the bridge rectifier to identify the problem, just as in the video. But to my disappointment it was not showing bad values. I checked many times to be sure I had measured tight. What a bummer. I started the projector and surely the lamp was off. I almost gave up, but made a new measurement. Now that the projector had been running, the measurements changed, and I got values that were off on one side. Could it be that it was the bridge rectifier after all? I took the chance of replacing it and soldered off the old one.

I love my soldering station. Before I got this, I had a cheap soldering iron. It was hard to use, and I thought it was just me being awful at it. But then I spent some money on a soldering station, and man what a difference! I suddenly felt like a pro! It heats up super quick, but as it has a temperature sensor at the tip, it makes sure not to keep on heating when the correct temperature is reached. Taking the soldering off is not what I am best at. I have a vacuum pump to suck the soldering off, but I am not good at it. I had better luck with copper laces. But off it went.

The new one is quite much larger than the old one. As the old is not longer possible to get, I got the same as in the video which has the same specifications, but is quite much larger:

The Elmo has two equal bridge rectifiers, and on the video you can see them at a 90 degree angle. And on the circuit board, you have nice prints with 4V, plus and minus etc. My projector must be a different revision as the two bridge rectifiers are parallel and the circuit board didn't have those nice printed texts. I had to make sure to note which way the plus and minus was placed from the old one before soldering it off.

The different layout on mine just made it impossible to get the new one in, It was simply not room for it between other parts. After trying for quite some time, I gave up and decided to solder on some cables instead.

The cables I had at the cabin were thin ones from a previous Arduino project with pins at the end. At home I have a lot more, but that didn't help me here. I had three only, and the bridge rectifier have four pins. So I had to cut one of them in two:

The rest was quite straight forward, soldering the cables on:

I added some tape to avoid making a short circuit as it is loose in there:

Finally I placed it where it was room for it, with a little tape to keep it in place:

I tested the machine after this, and voila! The machine worked with the exciter lamp on!

I was afraid the cable would get hot. I measured the voltage drop between one and and the other. It was 16.35V and 16.25V. Not much. And after running it for half an hour the cables were not hot. But that IS the bridge rectifier. I consider using some thermal paste I have for PC CPUs and a heat sink to get it a bit cooler, but I guess it is OK as it is.

That half hour of testing was also for making sure it was in fact repaired! The exciter lamp sometimes lit for a few minutes when I ran it before the fix. So it COULD be that the first test was just pure luck and the new bridge rectifier had nothing to do with it working at the moment. But it ran smoothly for that entire half hour, so now I am pretty sure it is working. I am super excited and very ready for watching some more 16mm films again!

A BIG thanks to Greg for providing me with the two links that made all the difference for me getting it fixed!

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson, Greg Perry, Del Phillipson and Iman Yahya
Del Phillipson sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

RE: I finally repaired my Elmo 16CL

#2 by Greg Perry , Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:45 am

Eivind,

These are helpful pictures and a nice write-up...It will help others with the same problem, which sounds like it is somewhat typical for the Elmo 16-CL/Kodak CT-1000...

Nice to have resources like our forum here, the 16mm forum and Al Warner's (who did the youtube video) Facebook group : https://www.facebook.com/groups/2389639777959698
I would suggest others sign up to join Al's group which is named "Motion Picture Projector Repair"......

Happy to hear another projector is back in business!

The following members like this: Del Phillipson, Robert Crewdson and Eivind Mork
Del Phillipson and Eivind Mork say Thank You!

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#3 by Del Phillipson , Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:34 am

Eivind, what a brilliant post, it was a great video too, so glad these people share these things for all of us who like to have a go ourselves (if we can of course)

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Eivind Mork
Eivind Mork sais Thank You!

Del Phillipson
Date registered 07.18.2017
ThankYou 137

#4 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:44 am

Really pleased to see you have your projector working again.
Really good detailed images too. I never attempt anything electronic sio well done on this Eivind.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson, Eivind Mork and Del Phillipson

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#5 by Del Phillipson , Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:12 pm

I'm with you Tom, however when it's as detailed as that video I would have a go at that, great idea to change the Capacitors too while you're at it.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Greg Perry

Del Phillipson
ThankYou 137

#6 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:17 pm

As it happens Del, i know i have often said, anyone who can share there successful home repairs with us please do, only a few have. Phil Murats are superb as is this one and a few others who have shared.
The thing is, it's not just so people can have a go at there own, the main thing is that we can all learn more about our machines from it and understand them better. I cant do, nor will i attempt to do electrical stuff.
Bill Parsons will confirm how great my soldering is

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Greg Perry and Del Phillipson

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 06.14.2020 | Top

#7 by Del Phillipson , Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:50 pm

Hahaha, about as good as mine then Tom, again ask Bill

Eivind Mork likes this

Del Phillipson
ThankYou 137

#8 by Eivind Mork , Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:16 pm

As I said, a good soldering station makes a world of a difference. My soldering improved a lot when I upgraded to a soldering station.

The following members like this: Del Phillipson and Tom Photiou

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#9 by Philip Murat , Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:52 pm

Hello Eivind ,

Good Job !!

Rectifier you install looks to be a size upper than former one, so no chance to overheat.
Putting new recitifier reference on the net will show you its datasheet .

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson, Tom Photiou, Del Phillipson and Eivind Mork
Philip Murat  
Philip Murat
Date registered 09.08.2017
ThankYou 44

#10 by Philip Murat , Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:54 pm

Hi Eivind,

I just come back with something on using Desoldering pump or copper braide
I have observed the pump is more efficient when you need to clear a good amount of tin.
So that it is good to get both depending on the situation.
A good trick : In case you have to deal with an old and dried soldered point and curiously do not melt at usual iron power 350 or 400 Deg C , just add a fresh drop of tin and normaly it is much better.
Then I use Isopropyl Alcool to remove resin wich can corrode at the end.....(Iso Alcool do not make white deposit)
I observe also you get an excellent Weller Station with a good temp range, this is good !
More over you can change easily tips to cop with any situation, welcome to the club....

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Eivind Mork and Tom Photiou
Philip Murat  
Philip Murat
ThankYou 44

#11 by Eivind Mork , Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:32 am

Thanks for all the input, Philip! I really appreciate it!

I have tried adding tin when I struggle with the tin being sticky and not distribute well with old tin. But I didn't think of it for using the pump.

The part about the resin corroding was new to me. Thanks for the tip! Is Isopropyl better than denaturated ethanol? I presume this can make some deposit as you suggest Isopropyl?

The Weller station works like a dream. It costs 100 USD here, but is cheaper than many other soldering stations I have seen (as they probably are better too). It has been my best investment when it comes to electronics :-)

I have only tested the standard tip that comes with it, but I think that has worked very well for my use

Are there any special tip you recommend for this use? A bent tip, perhaps?

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

Last edited 06.17.2020 | Top

#12 by Philip Murat , Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:00 pm

Hi Eivind,
T0054321099 tip ref should suit to your iron (to be confirmed). it is a needle shape in case you need to work on tiny joints.
In that case using tin wire 0,5 mm fits with this tip.
I use an ordinary tin wire to regularly clean the iron tip.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Tom Photiou and Greg Perry
Philip Murat  
Philip Murat
ThankYou 44

#13 by Eivind Mork , Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:30 pm

I bought some single core copper cables today. AWG24. So now I am prepared for more :-) 10m for black and red. 5m of the rest.

Greg Perry likes this

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#14 by Al Warner , Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:05 am

I'm so glad that others have fixed their projectors using this method. I'm working on another couple of videos including the Amplifier on the 16CL sound board. Well, that's IF I fix it... We'll see...

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Eivind Mork and Robert Crewdson
Greg Perry and Eivind Mork say Thank You!
Al Warner  
Al Warner
Date registered 06.23.2020
ThankYou 3

#15 by Eivind Mork , Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:21 am

Hi, Al! And how great to see you on this forum! Again; A huge thank you for making this video! Without your video I would most likely not have got this completed. My projector now have great audio again. I look forward to any new videos you post!

My next project will be to see why this projector also rewinds slowly. My new one rewinds much much quicker :-)

If any others are interested in repairing projectors, I will also recommend Al's Facebook group that Greg just made me aware of.

Robert Crewdson likes this
Al Warner sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

Last edited 06.24.2020 | Top

What is a syndicated print.
Aside From eBay, Are there conventions or known dealers

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor