Doggone tired/Bad Luck Blackie. Tex Avery Double Bill

#1 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:19 pm

Two very funny Tex Avery cartoons from Derann, each released as a 200ft colour sound. I bought these way back when they selling on used lists for around £8 - £15.
Doggone Tired is a 1949 cartoon short directed by Tex Avery. It tells the story of a dog being harassed by a rabbit while trying to sleep the night before a hunting,
The voice casting,
Tex Avery, William Hanna and Billy Bletcher as Speedy Dog
Tex Avery as Rabbit
Daws Butler as Hunter
Bea Benaderet as Operator
While very good image and sound, the colour on this one is fine but not as good as usual. With a couple of weird see through bars on the image, (shown here), i think this may possibly have been a lab fault so therefore, a white box special. Still great fun.

Bad Luck Blackie is one of my favourites. The quality is A1 on all accounts.
Bad Luck Blackie is a 1949 American animated comedy short film produced by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.
The Tex Avery-directed short was voted the 15th-best cartoon of all-time in a 1994 poll of 1,000 animation industry professionals, as referenced in the book The 50 Greatest Cartoons.
The title is a play on Boston Blackie, a popular radio show at the time. The cartoon marks the first appearance of Tex Avery's version of Spike the Bulldog (later renamed as Butch the Irish Dog as of 2001), who would later appear in Droopy cartoons in the late-1940s into the 1950s
The Voice Cast
Tex Avery and William Hanna as Butch
Jack Mather as Blackie
Clarence Nash as the kitten.

Two great 200s on one very funny 400.

Robert Crewdson likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: Doggone tired/Bad Luck Blackie. Tex Avery Double Bill

#2 by Greg Perry , Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:31 pm

Tom,

I think Bad Luck Blackie is considered one of the top 50 (maybe even better) cartoons ever made. Some great gags in that one!
Color looks really nice on your print there...

Robert Crewdson likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

RE: Doggone tired/Bad Luck Blackie. Tex Avery Double Bill

#3 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:41 pm

It is one of the best, that ending when things fall from the sky with each hiccup whistle makes me laugh every time, as you can see each item gets bigger and bigger.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Doctor Zhivago 2 x 600ft Scope
Dont Give up the Ship. Jerry Lewis Feature b/w sound Viacom

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor