Has this happened to you?

#1 by Robert Crewdson , Mon May 11, 2020 4:32 pm

Have you ever seen a film in a catalogue or dealer's list; you fancied it, but didn't grab it, and later when you get to see it on TV or online, you realise you did right not to buy it. This happened twice to me. The first time was in the 70s when Powell Films listed 'The Reign of Terror', a story of the French revolution, starring Robert Cummings and Richard Basehart. I always fancied this but there was always something more important to buy, then Powell ceased trading, and I regreted I hadn't bought it. The film came up on TV last year, and I was glad I hadn't bought it.
The second time was when I got into 16mm, there were a number of Errol Flynn's on offer. One was 'Crossed Swords', made by Flynn's own company in 1953. I chose to buy 4 Flynn titles that were in better condition. For years I regretted not buying this, then someone put up the film online. It was so bad I couldn't watch more than 15 minutes of it, Another narrow escape.

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

RE: Has this happened to you?

#2 by Tom Photiou , Mon May 11, 2020 9:16 pm

It's not happened to me yet although i have bought a couple of films on 16mm which i had not previously seen before, Bullitt, all this and ww2 and Dances with Wolfs. Two were obviously well known titles and i knew they were great movies, i just never put myself out to see therm on TV. I couldn't turn them down and also the seller gave a 100% accurate description so i was buying with full confidence.
The war film i bought after reading about it and knew it was a very rare movie. In my case i was very pleased with all three, (thats an understatement).

Robert Crewdson likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#3 by Robert Crewdson , Mon May 11, 2020 9:28 pm

I haven't seen any of those films, though I know that Bullitt and Dances with wolves both had good reviews. I bet they look good on the big screen.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#4 by Greg Perry , Tue May 12, 2020 6:26 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Hello Robert,

This is somewhat similar to what you shared, but what I struggle with is when a film pops up on a list or a 'Buy It Now' on ebay...Now the clock is ticking, do I buy it ASAP or do I contact the seller for more info on the condition of the print. In the meantime it could sell, and while some sellers respond quickly to questions, many others are unable to. Compounding this is the fact that some sellers overestimate the condition of the film...I have seen films marked "Very Good" condition, yet the images clearly show many lines etc. So do I take a chance, purchase it immediately and hope it is a winner, or hold off and possibly miss a rare one. And of course price is a big factor, but what I am talking about here is the $100 or so price tag, expensive enough where you don't want to be a fool with your money...

Most of the time, I hold off making an impulse purchase. But I have been successful on a few occasions too....

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#5 by Robert Crewdson , Tue May 12, 2020 7:22 pm

Hi Greg,
I usually buy films I have seen or films containing stars I am familiar with. There have been times when I have spent as long as three months deliberating; reading reviews on IMDB. Sometimes the review hasn't been favourable, but I've still bought it, and not been disappointed. With 'Buy it Now' you don't have time to wait, in case another buyer grabs it, so you just hope that the seller's description is accurate.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#6 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed May 13, 2020 9:00 pm

Thinking about this I don’t think it’s happened to me but occasionally I guess the film I have bought might not quite be as I would like it to be , the way I remembered it ,but I’ve not thought I wish I had not bought it.
Unfortunately a couple of times the actual makeup of the film has been a bit of a pain,there’s been a splice or two where you least want them or the colour slightly off not quite as described.I have been very pleased with my buy it now ones ,The Alamo being my most recent which thankfully turned out fine in all respects.I used to think about a film with BIN price some while back and having thought yes go for it’s already gone,only thing is I like others have a want list so I’m being a bit more careful now.

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

#7 by Robert Crewdson , Wed May 13, 2020 9:58 pm

Saw 'The Alamo' at the cinema, when I was about 6 years old.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

Apologies for my recent post....
replacing factory speakers

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor