CHC trip

#1 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:10 am

Yesterday I took a drive over to Classic Home Cinema, never been before but my wife had offered to take me for my birthday ,so I took her up on the offer.as we were over that way. I have to be honest here I didn't exactly jump at the offer to start with as customer care isn't a strong point but a room full of films and an offer of a few purchases was too tempting. It's a shame new prints aren't about but plenty of used films, I managed to pick up a few bits and left to get fish and chips on the pier so a nice way to celebrate my 50th, has anyone else been? Mark.

The following members like this: Martin Dew and Tom Photiou
Mark Mander

RE: CHC trip

#2 by Tom Photiou , Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:33 pm

Although the South West is a nice place to live, everything else is so far away, CHC couldn't be much further.
I keep promising myself to visit one day , like i did with Blackpool. Now ive left that too long. Down here we only had either Dane film services near Newquay or here in Plymouth, Movieland international. Poor old Roger Lily passed away years before his time.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#3 by David Skillern , Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:15 am

Ive been up to Cleethorpes twice but to the old premises - ive never been to one of phils weekends - so that should be on the cards soon for me to pay another visit. But I will definitely be going to Blackpool in November as it will be the 1st without Mr Guest.

David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#4 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:22 am

I'm going back to the shop on Tuesday so twice in one month, unfortunately to return what I've bought as obviously unchecked, with a Disney day coming up soon there i would be very sceptical about buying anything , seems to be the norm these days from certain dealers,send out the crap and hope you keep it, definitely wouldn't go back or buy anything else,Mark.

Mark Mander

#5 by Nigel Higgins , Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:36 pm

Why do they not check stuff its not hard .a shame could be real good but lack of attention to detail costs sales.

Nigel Higgins
Date registered 12.06.2015
home: haverhill
ThankYou 14

#6 by Greg Perry , Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:07 pm

Mark,
I would be curious to know what title and what flaws you found. May help another forum member avoid this particular print---either now or in the future...

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#7 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:22 pm

They do not check anything Greg so any title on the list,I bought the 600ft First of the Few,has terrible water damage,No Business Like Show Business feature,really bad green scratches and Shout at the Devil feature again full of scratches,not a cheap purchase but it's finished me now,the attitude to just return them really cheeses me off, if they were checked then the disappointment and hassle etc could be avoided, it's not difficult, Mark

Greg Perry sais Thank You!
Mark Mander

#8 by Nigel Higgins , Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:34 pm

Nigel Higgins
Date registered 12.06.2015
home: haverhill
ThankYou 14

Last edited 04.12.2019 | Top

#9 by David Skillern , Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:08 pm

I bought a copy of Texas Chainsaw Massacre from Phil up at Blackpool 2 years ago and would you believe I only got around to screening it last Sunday and I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality. But on another point - can someone tell me how the Iver release starts ?

David Skillern  
David Skillern
ThankYou 71

#10 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:59 pm

You were lucky there then David, glad it was a positive purchase,Mark

Mark Mander

#11 by David Skillern , Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:33 pm

Yes Mark,

I have had some varying purchases from Phil - some better than others - however he has told me to keep the prints mainly the 400ft ones that are not as described.

David Skillern  
David Skillern
ThankYou 71

#12 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:19 pm

I think most dealers will at the most just check the first few feet of film. I bought a beautiful 16mm print of The Wild Geese a few years ago. Richard Burton lovely voice does not work in French. Even Derann had problems bought a Terence Hill Bud Spencer 16mm and the last ten minutes was missing. I'll gave Derek the thumbs-up he refunded me and told me to keep the print.

If any dealer would like there prints checking I would be happy to offer this service.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#13 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:17 pm

At the prices charged I would expect a bit more confidence in my purchases David, I have been to the shop at least but apart from taking the films back won't be going or buying anything else from CHC, it's just not worth the risk, pity the poor customers who are brave enough to part with there cash on the open days, overpriced and under checked,Mark

Mark Mander

#14 by Tom Photiou , Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:57 pm

David.S, my iver starts with the BP Bryanston pictures logo. Followed by a title or two, then the black screen with the sounds of a body being hacked with intermittent flashes/photos of decomposing bodies. then the picture fades into a close up of a decomposing body wired to a grave, as the camera slowly zooms out you hear the radio report of grave robbery's and other macabre goings on as this then goes into the title sequence. It's a very well known opening which im glad iver kept in full.in fact there is only a couple of cuts with nothing much missing at all. There pointless cuts which i assume were required for the release.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

Last edited 04.14.2019 | Top

#15 by David Skillern , Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:47 pm

Thanks Tom,

Thats exactly the version I purchased from Phil Sheard at Blackpool 3 years ago and i only got around to watching it 2 weeks ago and was very pleasantly surprised at the overall quality.

Tom Photiou likes this
David Skillern  
David Skillern
ThankYou 71

Independent 8 news update
Question for ebay film sellers.....

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor