Checked fully or not ????

#1 by Nigel Higgins , Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:33 pm

Just trying to find out do you preffer to buy films that are fully checked before you buy or are you happy with first few minutes just checked per reel.or not checked at all.??

Nigel Higgins
Date registered 12.06.2015
home: haverhill
ThankYou 14

RE: Checked fully or not ????

#2 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:40 pm

Depends what the film is and where you sell it Nigel, EBay sellers normally check or know the title if they want top money and no come back,film fairs you normally buy blind and hope you get an honest answer from the seller,most dealers don't check and hope for the best,if your lucky they run the first few feet,you soon learn any seller that doesn't check. I check everything I sell as I want everyone to be pleased and dont get the hassle then,Mark

Tom Photiou likes this
Mark Mander
Last edited Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:42 pm | Top

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:43 pm

If seller is fair, I have no problem unchecked, apart from colour state. I can’t believe sellers can check all films they sell, can they? Means they only see film all day

You get to learn who is fair and not. Yourself, I rate as top notch, Bert at Super8Warehouse (got a 3 part Tarzan, with sound issues on Reel 2, he sent a new one), Steve Osborne (bought 9 To 5, again reel 2 in awful condition, he refunded it all, let me keep the film)

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 350

#4 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:50 pm

Most dealers will try it on Vidar, most just send the crap out if they can get away with it, been caught out by most of them and then all the hassle and cost of sending back,some have even said they have been checked and clearly haven't which is worse,I am currently parting with a few titles and have checked everyone to make sure they are as described, it's the only way, Mark

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Don Cunningham
Mark Mander
Last edited Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:56 pm | Top

#5 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:56 pm

Got a few poor ones from CHC, no offer of refund like Steve Osborne. I know Paul Foster will check film if you ask, but only the pricey ones. Asked about a 30-40 pound film for screenshots, but he didn’t do that on cheapos. I can understand that, better than saying it’s great and customer finds it below expectations

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 350

#6 by Nigel Higgins , Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:01 pm

Ive learnt the only way is to check and like mark says no hassle then .its time consumming but worth it.

Nigel Higgins
ThankYou 14

#7 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:09 pm

I'm not going to name and shame but as I said most don't check, also amazes me that I've sold to a few collectors without any problems but it doesn't seem to work the other way round when I buy,when you say anything they ignore your emails and texts,still you don't forget and I just simply won't sell to them again,Mark

Mark Mander
Last edited Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:12 pm | Top

#8 by Nigel Higgins , Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:17 pm

Ive brought from you mark top films as described every time i am more than happy to buy from you anytime.

Nigel Higgins
ThankYou 14

#9 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:48 pm

Exactly the point there too. If you get a good name with the films you sell you will almost certainly never have a problem moving things on and hopefully gain the trust of other potential customers
so whats for sale Mark

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#10 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:11 pm

Tom,
You certainly can't fault the way you sell on eBay, no hidden horrors there,Mark

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Mark Mander

#11 by Tom Photiou , Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:36 pm

Cheers Mark, when i do my future listings they will be made even clearer and fool proof.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#12 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:05 pm

Give the new Facebook page a try, save all eBay fees
;-)

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 350

#13 by Maurice Leakey , Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:07 pm

Perhaps Nigel, Mark and Tom would tell us their eBay names so we can look out for their future sales.

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#14 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:09 pm

Or post their eBay links when they sell something?

Tom Photiou likes this

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 350

#15 by Martin Dew , Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:43 pm

My feeling is that you might as well take screenshots while you're viewing a film for quality issues anyway, something I always do. It doesn't take long to post the pics, and I'm sure it gets you a 20 - 30% better sale price. Surely 90% of collectors - if they're not 'trophy' memorabilia hunters - just want transparency? I trade as musicalfox23 on eBay but don't have anything posted currently. I just want buyers to be happy and I always state in description that I accept returns.

Vidar Olavesen likes this

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 95

#16 by Nigel Higgins , Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:26 pm

If any one wants to see my ebay stuff im
NInjaman0070
Regards
Nigel

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Tom Photiou

Nigel Higgins
ThankYou 14

#17 by Tom Photiou , Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:18 pm

Mine is simply fftc62
Couldn't think of a trendy name so i was sat at the PC looking on the floor and there was a copy of Film for the collector. That plus my year born How droll!

Have to say i am not a huge Facebook fan, i use to use it a limited amount but i got so tired of reading so much pointless crap that people put on there. Clearly a lot of people have no life away from there PC or smart phones. So while i look in there now and again, it's not for me. It's great for people who are housebound or are limited in what they can do out doors.
The two main forums are as close to social media as i want to get.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

Last edited 01.28.2019 | Top

#18 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:36 pm

No need to read all that, I just go to the pages I like :-)

Tom Photiou likes this
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 350

#19 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:44 pm

I'm not on Facebook, not bothered about any of the social media sites, I buy the odd bit on eBay but don't sell there at the moment,I've found an outlet for selling films which is working for me,no postage or fees,just selling at reasonable prices so everyone's happy. Was hoping to do a stall at one of the cine fairs coming up and as I did before put a list of films I'm selling on the forum's a couple of weeks before,Mark

Tom Photiou likes this
Mark Mander

#20 by Maurice Leakey , Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:46 pm

Grateful thanks to those who were kind enough to give their eBay names. They will be a great help to many members.

Tom Photiou likes this
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#21 by Tom Photiou , Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:51 pm

Mark, should you ever wish to sell scrooged or trains planes and automobiles, please do consider me.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#22 by Don Cunningham , Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:51 pm

The one experience I had with a more "shocking" Ebay purchase was for a 16mm print of "King Creole." Listing said good condition on 2 1600ft reels; no snaps. I know the film is longer than that, but bid anyway...took a chance. LUCKED OUT in that the seller was incorrect on reel size and it was on 1 2000ft reel and 1 1600ft reel (for another 2000+ feet of film!). So, I had the complete movie, but it arrived unspooled in a box. A box much larger than the reels which allowed for the non-taped film to be strewn about. An hour later I had all film spooled on proper sized reels. Took a chance and it worked out...just needed to provide some care.

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

#23 by Greg Perry , Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:59 pm

#22 - Don, I bet you were shocked when you opened the box and saw that...glad it worked out ok...

My thoughts on "checked fully or not": I can imagine most dealers don't view the whole print, as others said, due to the time it takes. It would be ideal if they did, but at least if they didn't it would be great if the seller could indicate "Film spot checked only" vs. maybe a collector assuming it was fully viewed. I guess its still good if they stand behind it in the end if there is a surprise, but then there is a potential return, or price adjustment hassle to sort out.

As an individual seller, I will either project the entire film to be sold or go through it entirely on the rewinds with a light pad set between the winders. I put on soft white cotton gloves so I can feel any splices. If a splice, then I stop, and take a look to see if splice needs redoing or if it looks like missing content. And then take some pics here and there using an iphone and magnifying loupe. At least this way I can still verify titles, credits and "The End" etc. is all there.

I avoid overstating a print's condition, particularly with fading color. Some ebay sellers state "Pretty Good color" which is far too subjective. I will let the buyer look at pics to determine how much fade. In my mind, better to be conservative on a film's overall description to avoid any issue with a buyer.

The following members like this: Martin Dew, Don Cunningham and Del Phillipson

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#24 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:38 pm

Tom,
Sorry those are now sold, they were some of the first to go,Mark

Mark Mander

#25 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:32 pm

ohh bollocks!!!!

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

David Guest announcement.
The future of the hobby/Projectors. Your thoughts please?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor