RE: The future of the hobby/Projectors. Your thoughts please?projecto

#26 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:48 pm

I have two Sankyo 800's and rate them,both low use and nice steady picture but as you say limited to 800 capacity, I'm going to throw a spanner in the works for you now Tom,as your enjoying 16mm more then may I suggest a xenon machine, if you think your films look good now then put through a xenon lamp,another level,Mark

Tom Photiou likes this
Mark Mander

#27 by Tom Photiou , Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:59 pm

Do you mean xenon 8 or 16mm? (both would be something wouldn't it)
I must admit to knowing very little about the xenon's. Would i be correct in saying that the bulbs are a tad expensive? This is where i now start to sound dumb!!
I am aware of how good the images are but ive not dabbled due to the expense of those particular machines. Sounds bladdy good though!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#28 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:09 pm

16mm xenon Tom,I personally think your pretty covered on 8 with machines,yes the bulbs are or can be expensive but do last quite a long time but image wise lift the film to another level,even more on a black and white film,you can pick them up for a good price and don't have to break the bank. As I said as your enjoying 16mm so much more then might be a consideration towards a xenon,Mark

Mark Mander

#29 by Tom Photiou , Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:15 pm

Yes we definatly are really enjoying 16s. I do wish we stayed with it many years ago instead of taking the break from it for around 10/15 years.
Projector wise, they appear to be in abundance at the moment and from my own experience, the Eiki's, while not the very best, are good workhorses and a lot easier to play with than other models.
This is certainly the year we will almost certainly be letting one or two, or more, of our features go on super 8 in order to make way for a couple more 16s. (and one super 8 i have my eyes out for).
Hopefully my wants list is out there for everyone to see and i will no doubt add to it soon.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#30 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:31 pm

Get a xenon then,Mark

Tom Photiou likes this
Mark Mander

#31 by Philip Murat , Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:46 pm

Hello Tom,

This is a very interesting post you put here !!!

I have some ideas for different subjects and the way to do it from short term to long term.

At this time I am working especially for Beaulieu 708 first and Elmo Gs1200 in second.

I more interested in the way to rebuilt and/or modify parts required. I prefer to modify a machine to get it more reliable and efficient than keeping in its original design which is sometime faulty .
I prefer a modified machine which respects film to the same one which ruins film in its original design.

Concerning troubleshooting the machines, I am involved in troubleshooting for machines in the industry, and I am thinking about the way to (gradualy) train any people (who like that) to trouble shoot a lot of different system even they have no extended knowledges in mehanic or electronic systems.........

To follow .........

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Del Phillipson
Philip Murat  
Philip Murat
Date registered 09.08.2017
ThankYou 44

Last edited 01.28.2019 | Top

#32 by Tom Photiou , Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:25 pm

Hello Phil,
Thanks for your comments,
If i was purchasing an expensive machine now i would, (as you say), prefer one with some service history and also to be assured that any modifications had been carried out. Especially if it was a GS1200 due to the scratchy parts.
Mark made n excellent point, as he said previously, (and also one or two other chaps within email), my 1200HD has done me great service for 40 years this year. I was contemplating a high end model but if i get one how would i service it and / or repair it should it go wrong? We have three 1200HD's and to date, my main one has had lots of professional services from Bill over the years and also a modified lamp housing and all the belts replaced with genuine Elmo ones, a new modified shutter, lower pulley and second sprocket guide have all been replaced and i still have spares for them. So, being such a good performer with superb sound and good light output, as well as being very well built, it's made me think twice about spending over 500 for another machine.
I love the look of the beulieu's, (i know there great machines), but i have also learnt that if the capstan electronics goes wrong, they can be be very quirky to sort.
I also like, (and always wanted), as GS1200, but unless one can repair these electronically, then your in trouble, parts are very scarce for them, and if they have not had the mods done, i know they can cause damage to your films, (as any machine can), BUT, a super projector,
I also like the Sankyo 800 stereo, but these have an 800ft spool limit and i understand the plastic claw cams wear and these are now very difficult to get hold of.
The Bauer T610 which i did have for a short while, a great machine, unbelievably quite running, but again, a lot of plastic parts, hence the quite run, but i understand these can also cause a framing problem, (along with the Sankyo 800).
At the end of the day every projector has its faults. So at present, its better the devil you know for me, with three 1200HD's in our family, along with a Eumig 822 sonomatic and and 810DLUX, i guess i need to stop using just the one and rotate them more.
If something exceptional should turn up, (like a new HD1200, like the one i missed back along, or one thats had little use), then i may be tempted to add to the family.

As for the future, Phil makes a good point about teaching ourselves and others. This is where the forum comes in handy. It's just getting people to do it.
I had a go with the Eiki cam tank thing i did back along on here and it got a lot of views and good comments. On the other channel i was pleased to know that it was very useful to Can who also used my images to tackle his own.

Doing these sort of things is great, BUT, when you have had a master on the case, thats when you really see a difference. Fixing is one thing, but those fine adjustments and know how is where is all counts.
I am still looking for an old 1200HD thats beyond life so i can strip it and rebuild it as an addition to the hobby.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#33 by Maurice Leakey , Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:11 pm

At the current time, the future life of 16mm Bell & Howell and Eiki projectors is guaranteed as we have Kevin Brown in Nottingham who is a wizard at what he does. However, he does not now accept Elmo 16mm for repair. Nor does he now repair any Super 8 projectors.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Greg Perry
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

Last edited 01.29.2019 | Top

Checked fully or not ????
New Facebook sales page

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor