The Underworld of Film Collecting.

#1 by Robert Crewdson , Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:08 pm

Here is an interesting read from about 1999. https://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s84collect.html

The following members like this: Mats Abelli and Ian Partridge
Mats Abelli sais Thank You!

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

RE: The Underworld of Film Collecting.

#2 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:20 pm

Thanks, Robert — interesting article. Copyright is not something to take lightly and, unlike other forums that condone and promote ersatz “releases” that are of extremely dubious origins from a copyright perspective, I appreciate this forum’s leadership in not allowing that here.

My job involves working with and abiding by copyright laws. The film collecting hobby is no exception, regardless of any “excuses.” Pretty much anything today that’s touted as a “new release” on Super 8 appears to be anything but legal. Amazing those people involved openly flout copyright law.

John Hourigan
Last edited Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:35 pm | Top

#3 by Robert Crewdson , Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:09 pm

Hi John,
I'm amazed that no one has ever mentioned the legality of the offer by someone to make 16mm copies from Blu-Ray discs. Obviously, if it's on Blu-Ray it's not in the Public Domain. Some collectors will only think about themselves on issues like this, rather than thinking about a possible out of work actor who relies on royalties for a decent standard of living. They would take a different view if it affected them.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#4 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:35 pm

Absolutely, Robert — all excellent points, and I couldn’t agree with you more!

Also, it’s my understanding the MPAA has been made aware of the striking-and-selling-prints-from-DVDs situation you referenced. It’s amazing to me that not only someone would engage in such an illegal activity, but that collectors would be so desperate for “new prints” as to go to illegal means to do so — and another forum would actually condone and promote this activity. Sad.

Robert Crewdson likes this
John Hourigan

#5 by Mats Abelli , Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:54 pm

I wouldn´t by a film print, made from a digital source, even if it was a legal one. What is the point? Let film be film.

Martin Dew likes this
Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#6 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:13 pm

Agree, Mats. Even if copyright permission had been obtained, why downconvert from a digital source to film?? The resulting film image would be soft, etc.

Just don’t understand it — if someone wants a movie bad enough, and it’s not available on film, just purchase the (legal) digital version. Agree — what’s the point otherwise?? Any downconversion will result in reduced picture quality.

It’s kind of like downconverting a CD to an 8-track tape. Why?? 😲 Otherwise it’s just collecting the format regardless of title/content —

The following members like this: Mats Abelli, Robert Crewdson and Martin Dew
John Hourigan
Last edited Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:17 pm | Top

#7 by Tom Photiou , Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:41 pm

Everything aside, this part of the article that states,

"Add to that the inferior picture and sound of 16mm, and it's no wonder that it isn't the hot ticket it used to be."

is nonsense as far as im concerned. The image of all the 16s i have seen are excellent. Not too sure what prints they were looking at or referring to. Tonight on TV is Robin Prince of thieves, i watched the first ten minutes to compare it on HD TV to my 16mm LPP print and mine wins hands down.

Looking for, Joe Kidd / The Outlaw Josey Wales on 16mm. Good prints only.

The following members like this: Mats Abelli, Robert Crewdson and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 09.30.2018 | Top

#8 by Robert Crewdson , Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:26 pm

I think they are just fans of DVDs Tom; I don't agree with that statement either. If it's not available on film, then buy the DVD. I don't see the point of having a 16mm print made from it.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

Last edited 09.30.2018 | Top

#9 by Tom Photiou , Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:06 pm

yes i think so and the cost of it would be very high.

Looking for, Joe Kidd / The Outlaw Josey Wales on 16mm. Good prints only.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#10 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:18 pm

Agree, Robert — outside of its illegality, having a print made from a DVD strikes me as beyond ridiculous, and indicates a “format-simply-for-the-sake-of-the-format” mentality. If one is engaging in that mentality in which the format itself is more important than the image quality or content itself, then one might as well also “collect” blank leader! 🙄

Just buy the dang DVD/download instead!

John Hourigan
Last edited Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:20 pm | Top

#11 by Robert Crewdson , Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:30 pm

Agree totally John.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

RE: The Underworld of Film Collecting. Babies or Bathwater ? Dustbin or History ?

#12 by Ian Partridge , Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:54 am

Glenn Erickson's 1999 article about past collecting of 16mm and 35mm film prints in the USA makes a very informative read. Glen Erickson is writing about preservation and recovery of lost cinema history from cineast film collectors. He relates that different issues of films were made includig roadshow versions that contain scenes now missing from modern cuts.

Ian

Ian Partridge
Date registered 08.18.2015
home: Colchester, Essex. United Kingdom
ThankYou 16

RE: The Underworld of Film Collecting. Babies or Bathwater ? Dustbin or History ?

#13 by Robert Crewdson , Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:14 am

I came across a post in a film/DVD forum, that I think maybe a few years old. The writer said he had some missing BBC programmes and the BBC want them back. Over the years the BBC deliberately destroyed film/video, and now I think they have realised that they made a mistake, and want the missing programmes returned. The writer said they had threatened legal action, but so far had heard nothing.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#14 by Maurice Leakey , Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:57 am

I'm not sure about the BBC destroying films but they certainly wiped programmes made on tape. At one time tape was very expensive and there often was no need for a repeat so it was cheaper to erase and use the tape again.
Many overseas countries (colonies?) didn't have tape facilities so they were sent 16mm copies. This is why, nowadays, often 16mm prints of wiped BBC programmes turn up at the back of cupboards and other almost long forgotten storage places in faraway lands.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Greg Perry
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#15 by Robert Crewdson , Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:04 pm

Back in the 60s, Dusty Springfield made a series for the BBC: copies were sent overseas with the instructions that they were to be destroyed after transmission. Those copies sent to New Zealand had survived, and were put on a DVD by the BBC. I know the BBC wiped a lot of tapes and re-used them. Only 6 episodes of the Peter Cushing 'Sherlock Holmes' series has survived.
http://www.warpedfactor.com/2015/05/the-...pisodes-of.html

Greg Perry likes this

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

Last edited 10.01.2018 | Top

#16 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:19 pm

Here in the U.S., wiping was a common practice during the 1960s amongst the TV networks due to the cost, etc., of two-inch videotape.

John Hourigan

Spherical
New members

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor