New and Sealed / plagued with green emulsion scratches that come and go throughout

#1 by Tom Photiou , Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:41 pm

Recently, i have been looking out for something to buy,
I often come across New and Sealed and last night saw this on a copy of the snowman, plagued with green emulsion scratches that come and go throughout, While the listing is fine and very honest i have to ask , Why would anyone want a film thats plagued with green emulsion scratches that come and go throughout? How could anyone enjoy sitting through that?

As for new and sealed, would you prefer the film to be viewed with screenshots or would you take a chance on new and sealed? For me, i would very much prefer tried and tested with screenshots.
I know collectors like things to remain sealed but whats the point in buying a film to leave it on a shelf. Isn't the whole point of buying a film to watch it?

Looking for, Joe Kidd / The Outlaw Josey Wales on 16mm. Good prints only.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 09.10.2018 | Top

RE: New and Sealed / plagued with green emulsion scratches that come and go throughout

#2 by Don Cunningham , Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:53 pm

New and sealed with emulsion scratches? Seems odd to me.

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

RE: New and Sealed / plagued with green emulsion scratches that come and go throughout

#3 by Gwyn Morgan , Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:23 pm

perhaps the green emulsion seeped into the new sealed packet!
something like" The Green Slime"

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Tom Photiou

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#4 by Greg Perry , Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:47 pm

Tom,
I have gambled one time on a new and sealed Disney short of Sleeping Beauty (I think it was from Nigel Higgins). I believe there were multiple copies and one was opened which had great color--but there was no guarantee the sealed copy which was to be sent to me would be the same.
The price was decent so I bought it and it had great color. I agree that films were made to be seen and not to sit in a wrapper on a shelf. I only buy a film so I can watch and enjoy it. But others can surely do as they wish.
Normally though, I would assume the "new and sealed" stuff we tend to see for sale by others on ebay has already faded to red.

I particularly don't care for the green scratches--I can tolerate some fine black lines for the most part, but the green emulsion scratches are very distracting to me.

Tom Photiou likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

Last edited 09.10.2018 | Top

#5 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:00 pm

Agree — to me, heavy green emulsion scratches are simply indicative of a defective print.

I usually read “new and sealed” as a faded print, more often than not. And I agree with you, Greg, when I buy a film, it’s to watch and enjoy it. That’s why I’m highly selective with my film purchases.

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Tom Photiou
John Hourigan
Last edited Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:05 pm | Top

#6 by Erik Schoolcraft , Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:08 am

If the print was sealed then how did the seller know about the scratches? Is my first question. In my theater work green scractches are as mentioned emulsion scratches from mishandling or misthreading. It depends on how bad you want the print if you want it or not and the price point. I once bought an optical super 8 print of a film that was listed as New and Never Used. Turned out to be an airline print that had been cored and strapped with white masking tape across the print which seeped through and covered the image area every few inches. But the seller was new and didn't know what they were doing.
As far as 'Sealed' Prints i'm not sure of any 'sealed' prints here being sold but I'd be at least leary of the color. I did get lucky once when I was on Ebay and got a 200' copy of the Fox and the Hound still in the original shrinkwrap. Color was perfect and the sound was nice and loud. In my 25 years of collecting that is rare.
New and sealed seems to me to be a scam and if they know the condition of the film then I'd say NO immediatly.

Don Cunningham likes this
Erik Schoolcraft  
Erik Schoolcraft
Date registered 08.16.2018
ThankYou 18

#7 by Tom Photiou , Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:50 am

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I didnt do that very well.
No, there are listings with new and sealed and a copy of the snowman listed very honestly with LPP but plauged with scracthes. Two different things as seen on ebay. Sorry chaps i wasnt too clear in my opening on this thread.

Looking for, Joe Kidd / The Outlaw Josey Wales on 16mm. Good prints only.

Mats Abelli likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 09.12.2018 | Top

#8 by Ian Partridge , Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:33 am

It is eBay formatting its' pages with stuff pertaining to new DVD and BD disks packed in jewel cases. Actual film listings are now a sub-category of disks. Once it was possible to view all 16mm film listings in one category but misguided eBay search changes means we have to look under several sub-categories to find film prints.

Ian

Tom Photiou likes this

Ian Partridge
Date registered 08.18.2015
home: Colchester, Essex. United Kingdom
ThankYou 16

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
DEALERS LIST FOR NORTHWEST FILM BLACKPOOL

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor