To expand or shrink, who will take over your hobby?

#1 by Tom Photiou , Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:59 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I know we are all avid collectors in this great hobby of ours. But I just wondered, we all talk about our latest additions to our collections, even having a dedicated thread to let everyone know when we add something. But, while we, in this household, are not old men, we have recently taken a step back and sold off a few films, some were titles i always said i would never sell (Jaws, Assault on precinct 13 to name just two). These were sold because my last viewings were disappointed, an almost red jaws, and assault on the turn, red hue everywhere on the dark scenes. Seriously, how can you enjoy an all one colour movie, and then see it on a shinny disc in full glorious colours on the same size screen when projected?

I decided to make a list of all the titles I sold over the years and it makes a collection all of its own. Now in my mid 50s and Brother in his early 60s, we often discuss this and decided, if we never sell anything, all that will happen one day is that everything would either get sold off for bugger all or binned. I don’t want either of that to happen as we have taken 40 years to get here.
If there was no family left behind me then I would say sod it and let whoever finds it do what they want.
With so many films now starting to fade, we have made a conscientious decision to start to sell them over a slow period of time, (faded & / or scratched), I am fully aware that lots of people are happy to view faded prints, I myself am not, slight fade is one thing but mostly red or pink is another, so if we can raise some cash to replace a dozen films for one or two good colour or b/w prints then this seems to me to be a good option. At the end of the day the prices won’t stay at there loony high levels on flea bay forever. Once people dabbling in the hobby “to be retro and trendy”, begin to realise that projectors are either breaking down and no longer repairable or later in time, unavailable at all, then the prices of films will drop if there’s nothing decent around to show them on.
I am also aware that dealer prices are still very much as they should be but, (I know some of you wont like this), while we can get good prices for some films on ebay, this seems a good way to have this hobby of ours self funding. This has been what I have being doing for a few years now with only one or two poor experiences in over 650 items sold. I have, over the years, had poor experiences with some dealers as well, including Derann, so it isn’t restricted to ebay. Admittedly, dealers are happy to help when things do go wrong.

So I was wondering, how will you manage your collections over the coming years? Will you simply continue to buy everything, for the sake of it, select a few top titles as and when they appear, or will you down size as we will in order to make it more manageable and end up with more quality and less quantity? Or, (dare I say this), do other forms of projecting look very welcoming to you? For those of you with thousands of films I have to ask, surly you rarely get to watch the same title twice? That makes every movie viewing very expensive.
We now have 586 titles; this includes everything from trailers to full length 16mm films and everything in between. It sounds a lot but it has taken us 40 years to get here. We have only sold over the last 5 years around 75 titles, again from trailers to 16mm features and everything between. Being realistic, to view all of these and keep an eye on them is unrealistic unless you view every evening. I do actually use my projectors 5 days a week, every week. My aim over the coming years will be to half it and end up with only top titles, rare titles and non faded titles.
Your views please?

Looking for, Joe Kidd / The Outlaw Josey Wales on 16mm. Good prints only.

The following members like this: Del Phillipson, Martin Dew and Ian Partridge

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: To expand or shrink, who will take over your hobby?

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:18 pm

I am considering downsizing, i know there are quite a few 16mm I doubt I watch again (might give them a last view, to check splices, condition)

I have no trouble enjoying even faded prints, my biggest no no, is splices that remove important info, dialogue, much worse than fade for me. I struggle enjoying shiny evil things, as my eyes pick up on the jerkyness in motion, particular panning

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Del Phillipson

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#3 by Del Phillipson , Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:17 pm

My good lady hasn't a clue when it comes to my films, so will probably shrink my collection down to just low fade titles on both 8mm and 16mm, if anything happens before that time, sod it I won't care where I am.

Tom Photiou likes this

Del Phillipson
Date registered 07.18.2017
ThankYou 137

#4 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:25 pm

I agree with the points in your excellent post, Tom. Now that I’m 56, and not getting any younger, I look at the hobby with a more mature set of eyes than I did decades ago. Plus, given the many excellent screening options now available, I really don’t see the point of enduring faded/fading prints. It’s the reason that when I do buy a film print, I only purchase/collect black and white prints in this day and age.

While I’ve never had a problem with eBay (and isn’t it interesting that it’s always the same people who have problems with eBay? — makes one wonder if eBay is really the problem? 😉), I’m at the point now that I’m simply giving away the prints that I no longer watch or are suffering from fade. I figure what little money I would gain by selling these prints isn’t simply worth the trouble. Plus, other people may actually enjoy the prints. But, let’s face it, fade is just too prevalent today with so many prints. Even with most of the posted stills from prints on the forums, you see varying degrees of fade.

Within the next 10 years or so, I see myself probably giving away most, if not all, of my film prints — even the black and white ones. Why should I hold onto them in my old age if others can derive pleasure from them? Otherwise these prints would probably be tossed in the trash when I kick the bucket.

However, with all this said, I’ve never enjoyed our screening hobby more than I do today, particularly with the resulting jaw-dropping image and sound quality. Plus, I don’t have to “watch” the projector! While I will always have a soft spot for film, I have to admit that I thoroughly enjoy all the screening options in my home theatre.

Enjoy it all, I say! 😀 Life is too short.

Again, great post, Tom!

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Del Phillipson, Ian Partridge and Douglas Warren
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
John Hourigan
Last edited Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:29 pm | Top

#5 by Tom Photiou , Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:57 pm

Yes i have to say, despite having the ability to project those shinny discs, (and do enjoy the films not available on 8 or 16mm), i do, always have, and always will love my real film. The projector is certainly the biggest part of it for me .
It is funny how at only mid 50s i am even thinking in this way. It's probably because my Brother lives on his own and enjoys movies at my house every Thursday evening that he has begun to mention it. When i get a movie out to view and no longer enjoy it because of the amount of fade, or worse still, pay good money for a film only to see red hue in the blacks i begin to question myself and th cash spent.
Having said all that, the shear amount we have now no longer makes too much sense. I looked at my own collection here tonight, there isn't too much more i want to sell off, but then again, after viewing the 400ft 3D U8 copy of It came from outer space, i logged it afterwards and noted that its been four years since i last viewed it. It is the films we dont watch more than once in a blue moon that seem pointless having sat on a shelf.
Since going into 16mm we have just about got it right now on this gauge. I've been a good boy and kept it to well below 30, (25 to be exact) and the films we have all but two, are perfect in print, colour and sound. Quality not quantity. This low amount in numbers allows me to rotate them and look after them with ease. There are just a few more i want with one possibly coming my way once the current owner checks it through.
It will definatly be a shrinking of the collection for us, BUT, i wont stop buying decent new ones, as i said, perhaps for every 5 to 10 we sell we may hopefully add a quality product back into the collection

Douglas Warren likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#6 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:10 pm

Agree, Tom! For me, it’s definitely “quality, not quantity” in terms of my film prints.

Not sure what the point is of keeping or buying those film prints that are of cruddy quality. At that point, it’s format for simply the sake of the format (which I never understood that motivation).

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Douglas Warren
John Hourigan
Last edited Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:19 pm | Top

#7 by Mats Abelli , Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:05 am

I still buy films, but avoid faded and worn prints. Sometimes I sell prints I don´t intend to watch. I have bought a few collections thru the years, found some gold nuggets and put the rest in my storage, to sell. I will never leave the reel film hobby, as long as I can handle a projector and have no intention to downsize. My home cinema is all analogic. I have about 70 film projectors but no digital one. I don´t project DVD´s or Bluray´s as I don´t feel the magic. I can screen 8mm, Super 8mm, 16mm and 35mm and have a big collection.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen, Greg Perry, Jose Artiles, Martin Dew and Tom Photiou
Vidar Olavesen and Jose Artiles say Thank You!

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#8 by Martin Dew , Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:38 am

Quality not quantity. I've got 50 or so titles, cutdowns, shorts, features and trailers. There were specific things I was looking for when I got back into the hobby two years ago and I've found most of them now. I'll keep looking for better quality versions of the titles I've got though, plus I will expand my Derann ads and trailers collection. I have a strict rule with my digital home cinema too. I'm only allowed 150 Blu-ray titles max - my all time favourite films only. This policy really helps the wallet.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Greg Perry and Douglas Warren

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

Last edited 08.14.2018 | Top

#9 by David Skillern , Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:29 am

Martin,

Maybe I should take a leaf out of your book - so to speak

Martin Dew likes this
David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#10 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:40 am

I try and have a clear out every now and again, I recently sold 21 16mm features that I had doubles of and some nice Derann super 8 features(8) I also had doubles of, I'm hoping to do a stall in October at Harpenden to move a few more on, I have a few faded prints I should sell or move on as I'm never going to watch them. My son knows the value of my films and will be happy for him to have them and do whatever he wants with it all,my only stipulation will be if he sells it all then split it with my daughter too. The hobby isn't for everyone but I'd be glad if someone had my collection and enjoyed it as much as I have,Mark

The following members like this: Stuart Reid, Martin Dew, Mats Abelli, Greg Perry and Douglas Warren
Mark Mander

#11 by David Skillern , Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:44 am

I'm 52 and I give myself another 10-15years in the hobby and then I will start moving on my collection. I might keep one projector and a small number of films - but as I look at my shelves now - there are prints that I've bought and watched once and then they've gon on the shelves. Maybe I should think about down sizing sooner ?

David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#12 by Mats Abelli , Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:46 pm

I´m 64 and looking forward to retire when I´m 67. I hope to be healthy and able to expand my collection even more. My favorites are classic Disney cartoons and animated features, Laurel & Hardy and film noir.

Greg Perry likes this

Mats Abelli
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#13 by Tom Photiou , Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:46 pm

Mark, those films re-recorded into stereo will be great for those lucky enough to buy them one day.
I will also look forward to films when i retire rather a way off for me yet. But when i get there i only want a small collection of good decent quality films. Martin has probably got a good number there. 50.
Manageable and easy for repeat showings. I often cringe when i see some collections in there thousands. I cannot imagine that, there must be stuff people dont know they have and often films that are only ever shown once. I can comprehend that. I'm not putting those collections down, merely saying its not what we what want.

Martin Dew likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#14 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:53 pm

Agree with you, Tom — what good is a film on a shelf if it doesn’t get watched? That’s why I’m pruning my collection. Quality, not quantity.

And film collections that run into the thousands is akin to hoarding. 😮

John Hourigan
Last edited Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:53 pm | Top

#15 by Don Cunningham , Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:05 pm

A good topic for discussion. I am in late 30's with one son out of the house and two younger sons making their way up in school. My film collection is not as sizeable as many here, but what I do have is meaningful to my wife and I in some way or another. The collection is mostly 16mm, with about 4 super 8 reels and 2 35m features. I am very lucky that my wife has gotten into the hobby with me, but obviously for her own pleasures such as Elvis and some Hammer horror and Vincent Price. My youngest sons really enjoy viewing a film when I get out the projector and screen, and I hope that they would want to take possession of what I have acquired. Who knows what the future holds though; one never knows if circumstances will drastically change and the need to sell everything becomes reality. Hopefully not, just have to enjoy them while we can.

Greg Perry likes this

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

#16 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:48 pm

Yes Tom some good quality stereo films in my collection that will be enjoyed by somebody, just sold a few doubles and the guy was very pleased with the ones he bought and couldn't believe the sound quality (his words) of Die Hard 2 and Robocop,that pleased me hearing that as I knew they sounded great too.

Don
I'm 50 next year so a bit older than you and I know your after a print of Charro, if I kick the bucket anytime soon it's yours, I'll put that in place so it happens,Mark

Douglas Warren does not like this!
Don Cunningham sais Thank You!
Mark Mander

#17 by Greg Perry , Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:46 pm

This is a good discussion to have as I think it gets everyone to assess/review their own individual film collecting practices.
Tom, thanks for bringing this up.

Most important, to me, is for each collector to figure out what works best for them in a way that is healthy to their situation/circumstances.

For example, if we look at just a few collectors on this forum and the other channels:

Collector A: prefers B&W as faded color is unacceptable
Collector B: 50 or so titles
Collector C: Over 3,000 films
Collector D: Over 12,500 films
Collector E: Faded ok, but does not like splices, and has many films
Collector F: Max of 30 16mm films, 400+ Super 8
Collector G: Less than 400 films, focused on low fade, good B&W

As long as each collector is managing their own collecting in a responsible way that works for their circumstances then I say "Have Fun!".

Fifty or so titles works well for Collector B--it may not work for him to have 3,000 films like it does for Collector C. Collector A doesn't like fade--so he doesn't have any while Collector E is fine with fade. Collectors A, B, C, D, E, etc. are all happy.

My point: "To Each his Own"

All of the different ways of collecting are fine as long as we are in charge of the collecting and not the other way around.

It is also reasonable to say that collecting can sometimes cross the line into an unhealthy obsession. In these instances, it is probably good for a collector to get a bit of help from a professional to help with underlying issues--whatever it may be. There is no shame to sometimes ask for help. We have expert car mechanics to help with auto repair, so it is ok to have a behavioral health expert assist us with those types of things too. It is a good thing to have a balance in life beyond film.

We may not understand how/why anyone could end up with 12,500 films. 12,500 films is probably extreme collecting--and for many of us overwhelming to even think about. But it doesn't necessarily imply hoarding as a pathological condition. Most often, hoarding is characterized by obtaining a large number of possessions of little use or of little value. This hoarding results in impacts to daily living activities because the house is so full of stuff that one can no longer use parts of the house--like a kitchen or bathroom--because of all the clutter. The inability to discard is also a big part of the equation. In the case of the 12,500 collector (not me!), he buys other collections and then sells many of the titles off--keeping the jewels for his own collection of course. Unfortunately it takes time to sell off hundreds of films and if you add another collection before selling off the remainders from the previously purchased collection, over time it is easy to end up with thousands of films. Only this collector can determine if he is managing this collection or if it has become out of control or a less than healthy obsession. From the outside it is sometimes too easy to pass judgement on others, but we should resist doing so.

As Tom and others have done--setting a limit on the number of films that one owns is probably a good thing for most of us with a collector's mentality. And the limit, whether 30, or 50 or 500, or more, is best determined individually--but I think we can all agree that it is perhaps best that our collecting is only part of a reasonably well-balanced life.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Mats Abelli and Douglas Warren

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#18 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:04 pm

It’s really important to keep film collecting in the proper perspective, and to enjoy all things that make up life. (One only has to read the book, “A Thousand Cuts”, to see examples of film-collecting obsession, among other examples I’m sure we’ve all seen in the hobby itself.)

Our limited time on this earth is far too precious for anything less.

The following members like this: Mats Abelli, Don Cunningham, Douglas Warren and Greg Perry
John Hourigan
Last edited Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:17 pm | Top

#19 by Douglas Warren , Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:45 am

I sold off the bulk of my Super-8 digest collection a few months ago. After watching a batch of prints that color had turned, it just brought me down. I also donated a large batch of projectors as well. Having downsized my collection considerably has actually allowed me to enjoy the remaining inventory even more.
P.S.
Mark Mander: I accidentally down voted one of your posts on here. I meant to up vote it. Smart phone and big fingers: clumsy combination 😳

Douglas Warren
Date registered 01.24.2018
home: West Chester, Ohio
ThankYou 40

Last edited 08.16.2018 | Top

#20 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:58 am

You naughty boy Douglas!! Guess I won't be leaving you any films now ha ha, no problem, Mark.

Mark Mander

#21 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:41 pm

Watched this topic since it appeared and have been having a clear out / check of films and equipment as thinking who would really take this on.im hoping maybe one of my seven grandchildren will ,but only time will tell.I have decided like most now to only keep the films I really want and are in good condition.Same goes for equipment.Yesterday two films that were pink /red ons slight vs went to the scrap as have a couple of broken machines.The time has come to decide keep or throw!
To this end it’s now down to really wanting the film at a sensible price,otherwise i feel my purchases could become less,and to be honest it’s nice to have a bit more space.

Gwyn Morgan
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#22 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:27 pm

#19 Couldn’t agree with you more, Doug. It was the fading that was the last straw for me that prompted me to make a move to begin to heavily prune my collection. I find a certain detachment when viewing a faded print, and now resort to other formats to replace a desired title that has faded or is showing the tell tale signs of fade. Setting aside any nostalgia, it’s simply the reality in today’s state of the film-collecting hobby.

I, too, am heavily pruning my Super 8 digests (except for the Universal horrors) given many I’ve had for 40 years or more, and they’ve definitely had their day. I find I now view digests differently as a 56-year-old than I did when I was in my teens and early 20s when I purchased them new — life experiences, other, more important, priorities, and my interests have expanded far beyond film. I’ve also found that my film purchases have definitely declined over the last five years, as many Super 8 prints for sale are approaching 40 years old or more, but my expanded screening options have only increased.

At the end of the day, quality, not quantity, serves me well. 🙂

John Hourigan
Last edited Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:44 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
hilton hotel blackpool news info

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor