A visit to Musée des Arts et Métiers in Paris

#1 by Eivind Mork , Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:22 am

I just came home from Paris this Friday. One of the museums we visited was Musée des Arts et Métiers (http://onesmallwindow.com/the-life/the-c...rts-et-metiers/). This is an arts and crafts museum, and contains many technical inventions up through time.

There were a separate part just about film as France was early on with moving pictures. Here are some of the things we saw:

A film camera from 1925

Camera, Debrie 1928

Camera from 1922

A Pathé Baby Model D camera with accessories from 1925

A projector with patents in many countries, even in Norway :-)

Another cool projector

The Cinematographe from 1895, invented by Auguste (1862-1954) and Louis (1864-1948) Lumiere. It was a combined camera, projector and printer. The film ran from the top spool holder through the projector to a box in the stand below. The Lumiére brothers were among the very first to work with moving images and invent equipment for it (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auguste_and_Louis_Lumi%C3%A8re). But they didn't actually believe it would be something big and made way more effort into color picture technologie. Their company existed for many years and was later bought and merged with Ilford.

Another reversibel camera (Cinematograph as they called it) by the Lumiére brothers in 1895.

An interesting camera that looks like a gun. I guess it made it easier to follow fast moving objects.

More film related items, like a 180 degree camera setup and devices predating the film cameras to show moving pictures.

It was a silent film show running in loop to learn more about the early film in France. I found it quite interesting. We could see Lumiér's first film shot wqhere their workers left the factory for the day.

As in most places in France, there is not too much to read in English. In this museum they do have text in English, but just a sentence or two so you know what it is about. There is way more information in French which I mostly do not understand, just some words here and there. Too bad as there are quite many cool things to see.

A cool museum to visit if you like early film history!

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Tim Duncan and Iman Yahya
Tim Duncan sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

RE: A visit to Musée des Arts et Métiers in Paris

#2 by Tim Duncan , Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:32 pm

Thanks for sharing this Eivind! An exhibition such as this is something I may never get to see in person. I really like the 35mm projector in one of your photos! Does this get you to thinking about your old projector in storage? A restoration perhaps? :-)

Eivind Mork sais Thank You!

Tim Duncan
Date registered 05.21.2018
ThankYou 39

#3 by Greg Perry , Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:44 pm

Eivind,

Great pictures! It is fascinating to see these examples of early film equipment...

Eivind Mork sais Thank You!

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#4 by Eivind Mork , Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:10 pm

It does indeed make me think about my vintage projector! I really must get around to take a look at it!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#5 by Philip Murat , Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:04 pm

Hi Eivind,

Great House to visit , here is link for CNAM Museum :

https://www.arts-et-metiers.net/votre-visite

This Museum is a part of CNAM (High Engineering School founded in 1794).

Collections are impressive.
It is a complementary place with "Palais De la Découverte" Museum.

Eivind Mork likes this
Philip Murat  
Philip Murat
Date registered 09.08.2017
ThankYou 44

Last edited 07.22.2018 | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
8ft tripod screen as new

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor