Is eBay really that hard?

#1 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Fri May 25, 2018 6:42 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Maybe it’s me, but I’ve really never had a problem navigating eBay. What I mean is that there seems to be a handful of collectors who, for whatever reason, seem to have continual problems with eBay purchases, sellers, and/or selling their own wares. While I admit that I’m not a heavy user of eBay, and outside of one instance in which the “sound” Super 8 film I purchased turned out to be a silent standard 8 film (which I should have been more discerning in reading the listing), all of my eBay transactions have been easy and effortless. Or am I just lucky? 🙂🧐

Thanks in advance!

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Robert Crewdson and Gwyn Morgan
John Hourigan
Last edited Fri May 25, 2018 6:43 pm | Top

RE: Is eBay really that hard?

#2 by Gwyn Morgan , Fri May 25, 2018 6:55 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I do not have any problem with navigating around Ebay the only thing I do is read everything there is about what you are buying and also as much info on the seller/buyer as is available on the site.If I am buying I tend to stick to a buyer I have bought from before.I have had no problem selling save one person who did not pay so left that with Ebay.
Did sell a couple of pink prints but the buyers knew what they were getting as mailed them to make sure they knew what they were buying.
I do think there are some strange people out there who demand very high prices for what to me is rubbish ,and as for what is "RARE" I think we had this discussion some while back.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Robert Crewdson

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#3 by Bill Phelps , Fri May 25, 2018 6:56 pm

It is really not that difficult. I use eBay to buy more than sell and have had some minor hiccups along the way but overall it's been smooth. I've used it about 13 years. You just have to read the listings carefully. I'm sure there may be a little luck involved too!

Bill Phelps
Date registered 05.22.2018
home: Massillon Ohio USA
ThankYou 54

#4 by Tim Duncan , Fri May 25, 2018 7:33 pm

My bad experiences have been with buying projectors on eBay. Many sellers do not know how to test them fully (or do not bother) and they are being put up for auction or sale on eBay. Furthermore, many sellers don't know how to pack them properly (or again, they do not bother) to protect them against rough handling by the carrier. And I have found that someone's perception of 'nice' does not necessarily match mine! There's certainly a lot of junk available out there, as far as the machines go. There are certain machines, I have learned, to avoid at all costs, no matter what they look like on the outside. Some can be a freaking nightmare to fix!

Films have been less of a risk for me. But if I were buying high-dollar full features, the story might be a lot different for me.

Tim Duncan
Date registered 05.21.2018
ThankYou 39

#5 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Fri May 25, 2018 7:47 pm

I tend to leave my projector-buying decisions to only those (non-eBay) dealers I trust for the very reasons you cite, Tim! 🙂

Tim Duncan likes this
John Hourigan
Last edited Fri May 25, 2018 7:47 pm | Top

#6 by Robert Crewdson , Fri May 25, 2018 8:16 pm

I've only had two issues with buying films on Ebay. One was incomplete, and had to be returned, the other, which looks brilliant, has a strong VS smell. It wasn't expensive, and I decided to keep it. It is possible to slow down VS by using camphor taped inside the can. I know that some people would have us believe that a lot of Ebay sellers are fraudsters , and we should rely on dealers only, but I've had a lot of good features from Ebay that never come up on dealer's lists. The condition has always been good, and BIN prices often below what I would have expected from a dealer. Many of my best purchases have come from sellers in the U.S. My experience is that the majority of Ebay sellers are perfectly honest, and just cutting out the middleman. Hope I haven't gone off topic.

Tim Duncan likes this

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

Last edited 05.25.2018 | Top

#7 by Eivind Mork , Fri May 25, 2018 8:27 pm

I have used eBay since 2004. I have generally just good experience with it. When it comes to film, I have bought two projectors, but a lot of films. I haven't met any fraudsters. One film smelled VS a lot, but was packed in plastic. After leaving it in a card board box for a few days it didn't smell anything, so I actually do think the seller didn't know.

The following members like this: Tim Duncan and Robert Crewdson

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#8 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Fri May 25, 2018 8:55 pm

Agree with everything that’s been posted so far, leading me to believe it’s not so much eBay that’s the “problem,” but how some collectors approach it — that is, those collectors who seem to have continual problems with eBay purchases, etc.

As in anything else in life, go into eBay with a critical eye, common sense, and both eyes wide open — the same approach we would apply to any other nonfilm purchases in our daily lives. 🙂

Tim Duncan likes this
John Hourigan
Last edited Fri May 25, 2018 8:56 pm | Top

#9 by Eivind Mork , Fri May 25, 2018 8:58 pm

I must add that I mostly buy films on the cheaper side. If I bought a 1000 dollar print that was stated flawless, I can see that there are more things at stake and people put different things in that word. Collecting Disney shorts make that so much easier :-)

Tim Duncan likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#10 by Robert Crewdson , Fri May 25, 2018 10:13 pm

The problems I have had with Ebay have been non film items. One time I ordered something medical, and the day after the seller closed his account. I contacted Ebay and was given an immediate refund: other problems have been with sellers in Honk Kong and China. My problem is that I tend to look at feedback after purchase has been made.

Tim Duncan likes this

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#11 by Douglas Warren , Fri May 25, 2018 10:16 pm

My own eBay experiences have been good on the whole. I tend to be a bargain hunter, so my expectations are kept on the low side : ). Like anything, common sense and asking a lot of questions really comes into play.

The following members like this: Tim Duncan, Vidar Olavesen, Robert Crewdson and Eivind Mork

Douglas Warren
Date registered 01.24.2018
home: West Chester, Ohio
ThankYou 40

#12 by Tom Photiou , Fri May 25, 2018 11:10 pm

ve two workmates who lost hundreds of pounds paying rouge sellers. When i talked to them about it neither had much feedback, and the listings were poor. You do need to use a bit of common sense with ebay. Wherever there is money involved, there will be rouges and thieves.

Robert Crewdson likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
What was the first film you ever bought?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor