No Way Out. Kevin Costner & Gene Hackman. LPP Poly print.

#1 by Tom Photiou , Thu May 10, 2018 10:35 pm

This is a film i have only seen the trailer for.
Dave Guest had a copy and sold it to me for a very good price, i am pleased to have got this one as Gene Hackman is one of my favourite actors. Every project this man did he chose carefully and because of this, i have never seen a bad Hackman movie. It is also a coincidence that three of our 16mm features now star Kevin Costner. I keep my fingers crossed that a copy of The Untouchables may one day find its way to me. I's even sell my T2 on super 8 for a good 16mm copy of the untouchables.
This print is another winner for me, it is on LPP polyester stock, the colours are so rich and the contrast perfect, a few of the images here are over bright which is simply due to the cheapie digital camera being used during projection.
The print is in very good condition with only the minimal of lines, at worst, there is just one or two popping up centre for a few seconds on reel three. The image is absolutely pin sharp & as always these pictures do not do not do the print any justice.
This one is a winner from Dave Guest to whom i am grateful for letting me have this one at a very good price. Cheers David.
No way out is a remake of a film called the big clock from 1948.

Here is the plot with the help of wiki,
U.S. Navy Lieutenant Commander Tom Farrell is interrogated by two men about how he first met Secretary of Defence David Brice. Farrell describes being invited to an inaugural ball by his college buddy Scott Pritchard, who intends to introduce him to Brice. Pritchard hopes that Brice will transfer Farrell to the Pentagon. On meeting Farrell, Brice is unimpressed and virtually ignores him. Moments later, Farrell begins flirting with another guest, Susan Atwell. The two make love in her limousine and begin a secret relationship, even though she admits to also being involved with a married man. Farrell returns to sea and rescues a crewman from being washed overboard during a storm. Brice reads a newspaper story about the rescue and orders Farrell transferred to his intelligence staff.
After Susan and Farrell return from a romantic weekend, her married lover – Brice – arrives at her door. After urging a hurt and jealous Farrell to leave through the back door, Susan assures him that she will leave Brice. Brice sees a man leaving Susan's house but cannot see that it was Farrell. After Susan lets him in, an enraged Brice demands to know the name of her other lover, but Susan refuses and orders him to leave. Brice resists, and ultimately pushes Susan to her death over an upstairs railing. After calling Pritchard, Brice is ready to turn himself in since he had been seen by Susan's other lover. But Pritchard suggests that if the other man was made out to be a suspected KGB sleeper agent code-named "Yuri", then the other man's elimination could be made a matter of national security. Pritchard cleans Susan's house of all evidence that Brice was there, and discovers a negative of a photograph Susan had taken of Farrell earlier. The negative shows a very poor, unidentifiable image of a man.
Unaware that Farrell was in a relationship with Susan; Brice orders him to find and arrest "Yuri" and places him in the position of investigating himself. Farrell is told that the cities police have not been informed, and that CID officers, commanded by Major Donovan, have been assigned to conduct the investigation. Meanwhile, to protect his concocted story, Pritchard sends two former CIA assassins to eliminate everyone who knew of Brice's affair with Susan, beginning with her girlfriends. Attempts to enhance the photo negative begin to bear fruit due to computer expert Sam Hesselman. Meanwhile, Farrell sets out to conclusively link Brice to Susan by searching computer files for evidence that Brice gave her a government-registered gift from the Moroccan foreign minister.
Needing more time, Farrell convinces Hesselman to delay the work on the photograph. CID officers bring two witnesses to Donovan who saw "Yuri" with Susan during their weekend. They cross paths with Farrell in the Pentagon and recognize him. Farrell escapes, but the CID begins a search of the Pentagon, knowing that "Yuri" is somewhere in the building. Farrell eludes the search and tells Hesselman that Brice had slept with and killed Susan. Hesselman helps him find the Moroccan gift registered in the State Department database and initiates a print-out so that Farrell will have physical evidence implicating Brice. Thinking that Farrell is delusional, Hesselman tells Pritchard about Farrell's relationship with Susan and his belief that Brice murdered her. Pritchard thanks Hesselman and then executes him.
Still trying to avoid the CID search, Farrell returns to Hesselman's office and seizes the registry printout. He confronts Brice with this evidence and threatens to go to the police if the search for him is not called off. After Donovan reports that Hesselman has been murdered by "Yuri", Pritchard tells Brice that Farrell was Susan's other lover and adds that if the man in the photo is "Yuri" then Farrell is "Yuri". Knowing that Farrell has the printout, Brice improvises a different story: Pritchard, who is homosexual, killed Susan because he was jealous of Brice's relationship with her. A devastated Pritchard commits suicide and is apparently revealed to be "Yuri", concluding the search. Farrell quietly sends the printout to the Director of the CIA, an enemy of Brice. As Farrell leaves the Pentagon, the image enhancement of the photograph positively identifies him as Susan's other lover.
Farrell is picked up by several men while sitting despondently at Susan's grave. The flashback ends, and it is revealed that Farrell is "Yuri", the KGB's mole in the Department of Defence. Aware of Brice's affair, the Kremlin had ordered Farrell to seduce his mistress and gather intelligence from her. Implying that he should have blackmailed Brice instead of exposing him, Farrell's interrogators angrily berate him, saying the situation was "poorly handled". Farrell's handler arrives, tells "Yuri" that America is no longer safe for him, and that it is time for him to return to the Soviet Union. Revealing that he genuinely loved Susan, Farrell refuses and tells his handlers that he is finished being a KGB mole. After he leaves the safe house, his handler snaps, "He'll return. Where else does he have to go?

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Del Phillipson and Vidar Olavesen

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 05.10.2018 | Top

RE: No Way Out. Kevin Costner & Gene Hackman. LPP Poly print.

#2 by Greg Perry , Fri May 11, 2018 12:24 am

Tom,

Great review! The pictures really do show the rich colors of this LPP print. This is a keeper Tom!!

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri May 11, 2018 12:39 am

Another cracking review Tom.

Believe me, I will find Untouchables on 16 for your Super 8mm print of Terminator 2!

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri May 11, 2018 12:47 am

Looks cracking, film is quite good too. Gene Hackman, great actor

Tom Photiou likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#5 by Tom Photiou , Fri May 11, 2018 8:35 am

Thank you all. Yes this certainly is a super print.
Hey Andy, id sell T2 for untouchables but not swop im back on the hobby funds raising expedition again.
This film certainly keeps you on edge for the second half and i did read it had a surprise ending so i stopped reading about it until we watched it and wow i didnt expect what happened. Its now 12 months since we started on 16mm and have to say the feature films we have bought have not dissapointed. Price wise the value compared to the 80s titles on 8 are just like what 8mm prices were when derann were about, apart from that, the obvious difference is they arnt availible on the smaller guage. We are more or less at the capcity of what i am comfortable with for the room but as some of you folks say, something will no doubt catch my eye.
This title is simply superb, this is the film the made kevin Costner a big name in 87 and his next movie was indeed the untouchables.

The following members like this: Del Phillipson and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#6 by Del Phillipson , Fri May 11, 2018 10:05 am

One of my favourite 80's thrillers Tom, have watched it quite a few times, did you guess the ending? great twists and turns, great review as per normal.

Tom Photiou likes this

Del Phillipson
Date registered 07.18.2017
ThankYou 137

#7 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri May 11, 2018 10:06 am

Another great print Tom. Have you seen Gene Hackman in the remake of 'The Narrow Margin'?

Robert Crewdson

#8 by Tom Photiou , Fri May 11, 2018 11:13 am

Ive not seen that one Robert will look out for it on disc now.
Del, that was a good surprise ending for us, i had no idea it would end that way.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 05.11.2018 | Top

#9 by Dave Guest , Wed May 16, 2018 3:41 pm

hi tom glad you liked the film I did watch it myself all way through and it had some good twists in it and kept you guessing ,I felt abit guilty when I sold you robin hood that's why I gave you a discount on robin hood and a discount on no way out thanks for buying from me .I have 1000s more .regards david

Dave Guest
Date registered 09.28.2015
home: lancashire
ThankYou 69

#10 by Tom Photiou , Wed May 16, 2018 6:49 pm

Thanks David, i am more than happy with these two purchases, this latest one is a great movie.a good tense thriller.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

My Dear Killer, Scope 1972 Italian Thriller
Northern Pursuit (1943)

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor