How many times have the police knocked on your door?

#1 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue May 01, 2018 12:37 am

As a film collector with a correctly closed thread by our supremo,..
I'd just like to ask the question, how many times have the police have knocked on your front door to check your prints for legitimacy?

Any gauge, any time, any era?

I am most interested in your response!

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue May 01, 2018 12:38 am | Top

RE: How many times have the police knocked on your door?

#2 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue May 01, 2018 12:44 am

It wouldn't happen with 9.5, regular 8 , Super 8, and short 16mm films, as they were all for sale to collectors for home use.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and David Alligan
Robert Crewdson

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue May 01, 2018 12:48 am

I doubt anyone, and I mean ANYONE, will report as such!!

Bigger fish springs to mind, especially since brexit,.. deluded so and so's!

I'm fast losing faith I have to say in what we are offering here as a product.
Some will hold a street party I know, but seriously,... take a look at yourselves!!

What you are left with here is anyone's guess!!!!

This is my personal lowest point on any forum at any point in time since returning to this hobby.
It is isolating beyond belief.
Just about nobody now here collects Super 8mm film with a passion,or so you'd make it out to be believed.

That just don't fit well with people such as myself!!

Not one bit!!!!!

We appear to be riddled with one time Super 8mm collectors and not so many, if any, who can live with the "here and now"!

Garbage so far as I'm concerned if we are indeed are now here far beyond my own wildest personal toleration of what makes a collector

John Smith likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue May 01, 2018 1:33 am | Top

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue May 01, 2018 1:32 am

Time to get your shiit together me thinks!!!

Andrew Woodcock

#5 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue May 01, 2018 1:50 am

Sorry, I have no idea what you mean here ...

The following members like this: Martin Dew and Ian Partridge

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 350

#6 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Tue May 01, 2018 2:15 am

Andrew, honestly, and with all due respect, take a deep breath and please step away from the keyboard tonight for the benefit of the forum. Once again, you’re building up to a crescendo of overreaction, which has the effect of discouraging mature discussion of worthy topics on the forum.

David Alligan likes this
John Hourigan
Last edited Tue May 01, 2018 3:01 am | Top

#7 by David Alligan , Tue May 01, 2018 9:42 am

Andrew

Perhaps you should have asked Bob Monkhouse this question as the police knocked on his door to ask him about his film collection

David Alligan  
David Alligan
Date registered 07.11.2016
home: Felixstowe, Suffolk, UK
ThankYou 45

#8 by David Alligan , Tue May 01, 2018 9:46 am

When Anglia TV visited my "Shed" cinema I phoned Derek Simmonds to tell him that the TV were visiting me and he told me what films I could and could not show due to copyright laws, and he said to me and I quote "you got to be very carefull"

David Alligan  
David Alligan
ThankYou 45

#9 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue May 01, 2018 9:49 am

Andrew is having a childish tantrum because I locked the thread supporting an illegal activity. I acted responsibly; many would think I should be tougher as administrator; hence the criticism that comes from the other forum. As for supporting the hobby, you are one of those that left when the hobby needed you. I wasn't persuaded to sell up and go digital, only to return when the damage has been done. I love how the returners to these forums tell us if you don't buy Phil's magazine or attend conventions, you are not supporting the hobby. Don't preach to the faithful.

The following members like this: David Alligan and Don Cunningham
Robert Crewdson

#10 by Dave Guest , Tue May 01, 2018 10:28 am

I am glad Robert is our moderator as he does his best to keep this forum clean and tidy as there is a lot of crap posted on here from time to time ,what I cant understand is when something is posted within seconds Andrew is there with a reply how can this be done when he is at work all the time. because he always says he cant attend film fairs etc because he cant get time of work but he has time to spend on here posting and replying well done robert

Don Cunningham likes this

Dave Guest
Date registered 09.28.2015
home: lancashire
ThankYou 69

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue May 01, 2018 10:51 am

precisely Dave, which is why I say nobody who is an avid film collector can come on here and preach about copyright rules and therefore what is and what isn't permissible.

Probably, due to his work, John is the only person who can carry the halo.

#9 No childish tantrum Robert, I just simply cannot get my head around why fellow film collectors look always to put the damper on positive activities rather than salute them. It puzzles me it really does.

#10 Dave G, it isn't so actually David. There are many 14 hour periods on this forum which sees no response from myself because then, I'm in work.
When I'm off, then I look in.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue May 01, 2018 11:51 am | Top

#12 by David Alligan , Tue May 01, 2018 10:53 am

Perhaps the person is self employed and works from home Andrew have you thought of that

David Alligan  
David Alligan
ThankYou 45

#13 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue May 01, 2018 10:56 am

Who Dave?

Andrew Woodcock

#14 by David Alligan , Tue May 01, 2018 10:59 am

it isn't a matter of knocking the positive its a case of staying within the law in what ever you do in this world and that includes film collecting

David Alligan  
David Alligan
ThankYou 45

#15 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue May 01, 2018 11:00 am

Precisely, and that was therefore something that perhaps you yourself strayed away from if Mr Simmonds was having to advise you on what you could and couldn't show on Anglia Television.

I don't deny I have a few illegally produced prints but then I don't preach to or knock others that also have.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue May 01, 2018 12:46 pm | Top

#16 by David Ollerearnshaw , Tue May 01, 2018 11:22 am

I have no illegal prints,all mine were bought from reputable dealers. My full length films from Paramount (Marketing Films) were bought direct from their New York address and they gave me a membership card for the film club.

Mention of DCR reminded me about there release of Scrooge. About the same time as they released Scrooge Columbia Pictures released a 400ft version too. Because DCR owned the 8mm rights in the UK Columbia were unable to sell there release in the UK.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#17 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue May 01, 2018 11:24 am

You and John then David.
That makes two then if you wish to join the holier than thou preachers side of the table here David.

Btw all of my own prints were also originally purchased from reputable dealers and bonafide distributors but dependent on title and geography, that doesn't necessarily make them legal to own here in the UK.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue May 01, 2018 1:48 pm | Top

#18 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue May 01, 2018 12:59 pm

I have just this second read a mail from one of THE most respected collectors of two or possibly three gauges of film there has ever been.

He too was disappointed to see the lack of support and lack of enthusiasm here by collectors in general, for what is now a Godsend of a new service for any avid Super 8mm collector.

He informed me that he has already two features lined up ready to send to Alberto.

At least now I feel I share my parallel universe with at least two other collectors who gain my full respect and admiration. Phew!

I shall be replying to this fantastic collector later today to thank him personally for allowing me to still believe, all is not quite lost just yet regarding this whole Super 8mm film collecting hobby.
A candle still flickers thankfully.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue May 01, 2018 1:30 pm | Top

#19 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue May 01, 2018 1:59 pm

It's nothing to do with supporting the hobby; it's very good news that there is now a striping service; the argument is all about staying within the law. You know that but you won't accept it. Vidar was fathomed by your earlier remarks; it seemed to me that you were suggesting that all the members here are the lowest of the low because we don't share your views. I don't see how someone can verbally abuse all the members and still retain the responsible position of administrator.

Robert Crewdson

#20 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue May 01, 2018 2:18 pm

I haven't verbally abused anybody Robert.

Staying within the letter of the law is one thing as a film collector Robert, but half of those preaching as such have strayed themselves at times as we all know.
Sometimes perhaps even unwittingly.
Examples of which only earlier were highlighted to me once again.

Let's face it, one half of the distributors of film were not whiter than white themselves regarding this lot at times.
It doesn't make any of these people wipe their hands of these distributors products in an attempt to take the moral high ground does it?

I'd have expected far more vocal support and actual intended support and commitment expressed for the work and efforts of Alberto on any film forum,than was expressed here, that was my only point.
No abuse, no accusations, no lowest of the low, no suggestions,...None of it in fact.

Severe disappointment would sum up my feelings well if anything, if you'd like to paraphrase me on this one Robert.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue May 01, 2018 5:13 pm | Top

#21 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue May 01, 2018 4:08 pm

I think it is great news Andrew, and I think all members applaud what he's doing, even if they don't say so publicly. It's good because it means that films with poor or peeling stripe can be given a new lease of life, and give many more years of service. It's what collectors have been hoping for for years. As for myself, I don't re-record, and to the best of my knowledge, I don't have any films where the stripe is separating. My interest these days is only in 16mm, but I'm pleased for Super 8 collectors, as otherwise some films could be lost. It's only the legality of re-recording that some of us have an issue with.

Robert Crewdson

#22 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Tue May 01, 2018 4:22 pm

Well said, Robert.

Everyone doesn’t see the hobby through the same set of eyes as you do, Andrew. That doesn’t make us any less fans of film collecting — everyone brings their own priorities and unique experiences to the hobby. The hobby shouldn’t (and doesn’t) require a purity oath.

Remember, it’s just a hobby. 🙂

John Hourigan

#23 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue May 01, 2018 4:24 pm

I'd expect his business will be extremely busy despite the fact few from here appear to be supporting this venture Robert.

I've read some fantastic reports on film tech from those who have already used this service and it has certainly given new impetus to myself to now perhaps revisit one or two of my own prints again.

I think I'd start with Fantasia 2000.
As I've said previously, it came to myself with an awful soundtrack on both tracks from the grey pasted stripe so this one could certainly benefit from the Brown super stripe!
Luckily I hadn't got around to recording it again yet so it has now saved me a job!😊😊

John,..anyone who has ever collected later Super 8mm prints, which includes the larger portion of the collecting community on 8 as well, knows all too well that this service affects them too.
There aren't so many differences between super 8 collectors requirements now when it all boils down to it.
This affects many many collectors on eight, just hardly anyone here it would appear.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue May 01, 2018 5:07 pm | Top

#24 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue May 01, 2018 7:27 pm

I hope it does well Andrew as Alberto has invested money and time; just as Edwin van Eck does. Up until now, if the stripe was separating the film was useless; now it means it can be saved. I know this happened with some Walton films, but I haven't come across it myself.

Robert Crewdson

#25 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu May 03, 2018 3:31 pm

Incidentally Robert, regarding point 21 in all of this, I'd like to make it perfectly clear that in all of my years of collecting, only one commercial film has ever shown signs of actual peeling stripe and that was reel one of Robocop.(even then only on the balance stripe initially until it was restriped)

I know there are a few others out there that have been highlighted particularly titles like Chicken Run and one or two others that were made beyond when Derann films made and released their products.

It isn't just a service for peeling striped films, as if it was, I doubt Alberto would do very much business at all!

It is service to IMPROVE many of the later pasted stripe films where the formula simply didn't maximize the bias for recording duties.
I have many where the stripe and soundtracks are all there and present but they could be improved ten fold no doubt judging by Alberto's comments and the manner and precision in which it is applied to the films.
If the formula maximizes the bias during recording, the recordings made will be of a standard that at the very least will equal all of the excellent stereo pre striped laminated stock films that are in circulation.
If that is what can be achieved, then just about nearly all grey pasted striped stock films are worthy of consideration to this upgrade if collectors are prepared to spend the money for the huge benefit of having a soundtrack to match the spectacular image quality on nigh on all of these later prints.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu May 03, 2018 10:51 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
A bit quiet at the mo

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor