Documentary Supporting The Future of Film - Keeping It Reel

#1 by Johnny Hartin , Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:21 pm

Hi, my name’s Jonathan Hartin and I am the director for the documentary ‘Keeping It Reel’. While attending the 2017 North West Film Fair in Blackpool to create a promotional video for David Guest (event organiser), me and my team quickly noticed we were the youngest in attendance. After chatting and getting to know some of the participants and attendees, we discovered what film means to them and the massive impact it has had on their lives. We soon found ourselves empathising with the common and sad conclusion that film collections and classic cinema are dying. This is what inspired and represents the base of ‘Keeping It Reel’.

In 2018 we went to the North West Film Fair in Farnsworth and used the opportunity to get connections. Then we got to work: contacting and organising interviews with cinema owners, businesses, collectors and fans alike. We hope that through this documentary we will be able to reach out to younger generations and show them a part of history that they probably don’t know existed or don’t know too much about. Moreover, we want to inspire and share our passion for film and most importantly protect the future of film, so it can continue to be enjoyed for generations to come.

If you can support us in any way through funding, here is a link to our crowdfunding page:
https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/reel-stories

Johnny Hartin  
Johnny Hartin
Date registered 04.02.2018
ThankYou 1

RE: Documentary Supporting The Future of Film - Keeping It Reel

#2 by Johnny Hartin , Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:21 pm

Please find below the link to our first teaser with Charles Morris who currently owns six cinemas. This interview was filmed at his first Cinema, The Rex in Elland.

https://vimeo.com/265891519

Johnny Hartin  
Johnny Hartin
ThankYou 1

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:41 pm

Release on 16mm?

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#4 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:17 pm

Great point, Vidar! Given the subject matter, will the documentary be shot on film itself? — or 24 FPS video? (I understand if you have to shoot on video due to production cost, availability, etc. At my work for our national broadcast television productions, we achieve a damn-near perfect filmic look, as the cost of film itself would multiply costs to the production many times over for little, if any, discernible difference in image quality.)

Best of luck with your documentary — I plan to contribute to your crowdfunding campaign to help hopefully make it a reality!

Johnny Hartin sais Thank You!
John Hourigan

#5 by Johnny Hartin , Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:30 pm

Unfortunately Vidar and John we are unable to shoot/release on film itself for the reason that you have given John. We will be shooting at 24 fps 1920 / 1080. We are a small production but I do own a Super 8 Mirage 20 which we will try to shoot some cutaways onto Kodak Vision 3 Color Negative Film 50D/7203 to create a hybrid feel.

Thank you John, every contribution is greatly appreciated.

Johnny Hartin  
Johnny Hartin
ThankYou 1

#6 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:40 pm

Totally understand, Johnny — it’s simply the current unromanticized reality given advances in technology, post-production capabilities, business/economic considerations, etc.

Best of luck with the documentary — looking forward to viewing the final cut! My donation is on its way!

John Hourigan
Last edited Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:51 pm | Top

#7 by Johnny Hartin , Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:37 pm

Thanks for the donation John! It is very unfortunate that my generation from 18-25 hasn't really had the opportunity to be educated on film. It's great to see all the support for this project as well as the future of film and hopefully through this documentary we will be able to raise this issue of lack of education with young people as well as provide some.

Johnny Hartin  
Johnny Hartin
ThankYou 1

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:44 pm

The main problem and sympathy I feel for yourself and your generation Johnny, is even with all of the interest in the world, it is a pastime that simply isn't being supported any more by your Agfa's and Kodak's of this world now to date, any longer.

More people, including myself, would love to shoot on real film again, or for the first time maybe, to capture the same feelings that we have from our memories but until film becomes even a little more readily available than it currently is, it is simply a no go for the time being unfortunately, even with the best will in the world.

We had the one off lifetime luxury of being able to shoot live action sound onto the pre laminated stripe of a movie film leaving much of the distraction of doing so simply down to the camera itself and its electro mechanical abilities.

I cannot see a time where projecting a home made sound cine film could or would ever be as easy again, no matter what advancements in technology.

It seems sadly, it is a golden era of Cine that has come and gone forever now, I say with a heavy heart.

How I'd love to capture my Grandsons antics on K40S!

My two stepsons are 28 and 22 years respectively, since giving up my other fave pastime in 2008, I've had cine film knocking around our house in abundance.
Despite our youngest doing a stop motion course to B.A. level, never once has either shown any interest at all in cine film or the marvellous equipment that places it in all of its glory on screen!

Seemingly then, it doesn't quite have that same retro analogue magic that so many youngsters now find themselves fascinated by with vinyl records.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Johnny Hartin likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:24 pm | Top

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:55 am

I await your response Johnny!

Andrew Woodcock

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:13 am

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:58 am | Top

#11 by Johnny Hartin , Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:39 am

Sorry I have been quite busy at the moment. I agree very much that it is a past time that isn't being supported although Kodak have began to make new Super 8 cameras https://www.kodak.com/gb/en/consumer/pro...era/default.htm which show that they are attempting to do something.

I am part of a cine society at my University which hopes to make a short film on 16mm film and we're currently in the process of pricing film stock. I myself bought a Super 8 camera and have been shooting snippets of my University journey onto Kodak Vision 3 Color Negative Film - 50D/7203. I do agree that it's a great feeling to pull that trigger and hear the whirl of the motor capturing memories for the first time onto film.

There are still people out there today that film home movies on film but i'm sure this is just a few due to the price of film stock. It is very unfortunate that your stepsons have never shown an interest as I would have loved to have grown up in the enviroment. My own interest was never shared within my family but rather found as I have explored the history of film and cinema. I also grew a keen interest from hearing of lost episodes of Doctor Who being found in old television broadcast stations across the world.

There are some young people on YouTube that I follow that have shot their year on Super 8 which I will link to below. Personally for me it does have the same retro magic as vinyl but a major issue is finding a camera in good working condition, purchasing the film stock and then the digitization to show on multiple platforms.

Adrian Bliss - Super 8 - 2015 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPtINdYoz3c
Bertie Gilbert - At Long Last - Super 8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhYv1KCk4vk&t=34s

Johnny Hartin  
Johnny Hartin
ThankYou 1

#12 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:44 am

Good post Johnny!!

A good Super 8mm camera, no problem,.. a quantity of Super 8mm Sound Stock film to shoot your movie on , then get developed, simply is not there any longer sadly Johnny.

I cannot see beyond these restrictions personally until things change, which if i'm honest, I really don't see happening now sadly.

It's gone now and we simply embrace what we had, not what we may by one chance or another one day have!

I looked to the stars once before after my father had passed away and I got lucky. Manchester City got a billionaire owner investing their interest in Manchester City football club and we have now somehow fulfilled my wildest of dreams three times over by City winning the league again this year!

I don't see lightening striking twice no matter how lucky we feel we may have been blessed.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:45 pm | Top

#13 by Johnny Hartin , Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:03 am

Thank you Andrew!
There are some companies still out there dotted around the UK that offer stock and processing. Here's one I found offering sound stock and processing for £89 which isn't ideal but if someone was interested then they can do this. http://www.theoldfilmcompany.com/Page4_20.htm

I do agree with you and I may well be late to the game but I am an optimist and must continue in my attempt to bring an interest back to younger generations. only once I have tried then I will embrace what was had.
I agree we have been blessed but blessings comes in threes, I wonder what the third could be.

Johnny Hartin  
Johnny Hartin
ThankYou 1

#14 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:08 am

We win the Premier league a fourth time!

No seriously though Johnny, i admire your determination and optimism especially among the ease of use and affordability of today's HD or even Ultra HD cameras.
I hope your optimism is realized but i won't hold my breath now.
They have all promised far too much for far too long now so far as I'm concerned!

Good luck with your plight though, all the same.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri May 04, 2018 2:56 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
New prints from faded masters or digitally restored copies?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor