RE: Better Deal on FilmGuard from Reel Image

#51 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:46 pm

Probably to an even greater extent on 16mm films than on 8mm ones regarding the sprocket holes.

It lessons the wear to all of the vital aspects including those on the machines themselves as I've already said. Mag heads, pressers, guides, gate etc etc etc etc.

Let's face it, the vast vast majority of well versed film handlers are in absolutely no doubt whatsoever, that of course film benefits from lubrication, no matter what the gauge or what professional film cleaner/ lubricant is chosen.

It's as simple and as straightforward as that.

No tap water required.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

The following members like this: Martin Dew and Tom Photiou
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:58 pm | Top

#52 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:59 pm

It doesn't have to be Filmguard if price is an issue, but lubrication is important. Andrew; Hugh Scott told me that you shouldn't use Silicone as it hardens over time? Some people have even used furniture polish with beeswax. Does anyone else , like me, run a cloth with the lubricant over the edge of the film on the spool. I do this twice, once when the film is on the take up spool, and again when it's been rewound, as some parts of the film are obscured by the parts of the spool.

Robert Crewdson
Last edited Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:02 pm | Top

#53 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:02 pm

Yes, it was a silicone wax liquid that the cloth was impregnated in Robert that came with the projector sealed in an airtight bag.

It worked well and effectively for a number of years before I discarded it.

It never dried out, nor did the films harden or suffer with any residue from using it, it simply became ineffective after a number of years.
I then moved on to 2.22.

Personally Robert no, I don't lubricate the spools.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:04 pm | Top

#54 by Paul Browning , Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:17 pm

Never tried tap water it might work, a lot less than you pay for film guard that's for sure. If you read Roberts previous download from the Kodak website, it hints that the edge of the film and perforations need to be lubricated for reduced wear, how on earth can you apply this liquid with such accuracy without blobbing it on the film frame with a cloth between your fingers, and Kodak go on to say a machine is required to do this correctly, my point and the point I have been trying to make, I know you think your the leader of the Pack Andrew, with pages and a pages of technical twaddle that only you understand, but your not the school teacher here and I'm the school boy learning from the back of the class, not so not in a million years....... I repeat again not ONE of the films I own or have owned ever needed this film guard to help it through the projector or make it quieter in doing so, some film I own may have the stuff on, but without close examination I could not tell you which it was or when it was applied. Apologies to Martin Dew for hijacking this subject, I will say no more, so Andrew as always can have the last word ..................

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#55 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:19 pm

One hours detention after class Paul!
It's You're not Your!

I lead nobody Paul, not here not anywhere.
Never confuse enthusiasm and willingness to participate, share and help, with that of a leader of anything.

If any of us ever need any kind of leadership, may I suggest the enrolment of Mr Guardiola here.
He operates a master class in leadership!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:08 pm | Top

#56 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:35 pm

Andrew, I always put some liquid on the cloth and wipe the exposed area on the spool. I just do it in the hope that it's assisting a smooth passage through the gate area as the sides are bound to rub in the channel.

Robert Crewdson

#57 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:39 pm

I know some people are fond of soaking the entire film in a bath of cleaner or lubricant to also entirely coat the film edges and relax the film etc etc but that is something I've never ever tried Robert.

You certainly couldn't do that with FilmGuard even if you wanted to. You'd just finish up with a bollocking mess on screen if you did!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:44 pm | Top

#58 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:01 pm

I wouldn't like to try that either.

Robert Crewdson

#59 by Tom Photiou , Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:46 pm

Nor would i!!!

Roger of Movieland here did tell me once that he had a couple of customers who cleaned there films before AND after every viewing. Thats well overdoing it and i cant see that does a projector any good at all.

There use to be a guy here in Plymouth based at Robrough, i think he traded as Projex. His speciality was 16mm service and repairs with Eiki being his preferred machines. I took one of mine to him for a look over when i first got it. He changed the gate and aperture and also upgraded my amp to a later model. The one thing he did talk about was, and i quote, "all the crud that people let build up in the projector from front to rear caused by excess cleaning.
It was at his place i first saw a xenon version, i didnt take too much notice of it until he put a short film through. Jeepers was that image good!!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#60 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:05 pm

What I used to like about the old 2.22 was that it was a one off application. I have had to lubricate one or two 16mm films more than once, but I prefer not to. I think the less contact with magnetic stripe the better.

Tom Photiou likes this
Robert Crewdson

#61 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:40 pm

I have to say, it doesn't make any difference whatsoever to the soundtracks Robert, how often you clean your films in FilmGuard.

I've cleaned some shorter films dozens of times now and nothing ever changes with the tracks.
Another reason why I have so so much faith in this product is because hardly any cleaners now are entirely suitable for all of the various types and qualities of stripes that are in circulation. This one is very very kind to them all.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:56 am | Top

#62 by Stuart Reid , Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:41 pm

Whatever happened to the Projex guy Tom? I took my Eiki xenon there about 8 years back. Nice guy, AMAZING hifi setup.

Stuart Reid
Date registered 03.07.2016
ThankYou 37

#63 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:06 pm

B&O, B&W??

Andrew Woodcock

#64 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:37 pm

B&O, B&W?

Robert Crewdson

#65 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:52 pm

I just said that!

Andrew Woodcock

#66 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:34 am

What does it mean?; Bang & Olafson?, Black & White?; don't forget B&Q.

Robert Crewdson

#67 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:40 am

Ha ha ha love it Robert, Bang & Olufsen Yes! Bowers & Wilkins,..no. 😂😂😊

Still no answers from Stupot yet till tomorrow though.
Maybe it was Super Duper High End gear?

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:27 am | Top

#68 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:59 am

Lessons start again tomorrow at 9 don't forget. Let's not be late for lessons folks! I don't want any more detentions for bad grammar or for bad spelling! 😂😂😂😂🔟

"Fook me", I can have some fun with this one here now. Thanks Paul!!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:28 am | Top

#69 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:59 am

'How's your Grammar?'
'Oh, she's fine, thanks, knitting a pullover for Grandpa'.
Made me think of that post on Minty. i would like to say to these people 'Don't you know the Queen's English?'; to which the reply would probably be 'Of course I know she's English!'.

Greg Perry likes this
Robert Crewdson

#70 by Tom Photiou , Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:19 pm

Styart, im not too sure but i dont have wish i could get a contact number, he wasn't an old guy so i am sure he must still be around.
I have searched on-line but cant find that particular projex, (thats how it as spelt by the way )

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#71 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:22 pm

Despite all that was earlier levelled at me Tom, this is no classroom.
We are just here to share our enthusiasm and experiences in the hobby and occasionally have a little banter just for fun.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:36 pm | Top

#72 by Stuart Reid , Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:17 pm

Andrew, it was ri-dic-ulous-ly high end, Martin Logan electrostatics standing over 2 meters tall, McIntosh CD player and IIRC Krell monoblocs. Easily the best I've heard.

Stuart Reid
Date registered 03.07.2016
ThankYou 37

#73 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:36 pm

Wow, that is HIGH high end!! 😊😊

I would have loved to have listened to the sound quality from that little lot!

Andrew Woodcock

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Documentary Supporting The Future of Film - Keeping It Reel

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor