A generous gift

#1 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:51 pm

Just received this surprise parcel from Hugh Scott, containing 25 issues of 'Movie Maker'. I knew he was sending me some duplicates, but the size of the parcel took me by surprise. With the others he has sent me on occasions I think I have quite a decent collection. I never thought of saving them at the time, except for the issue on making a 3D attachment. It's good that others were of a different mind, as they contain much info which is invaluable.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen, Del Phillipson and Greg Perry
Robert Crewdson

RE: A generous gift

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:18 pm

Great guy, Hugh ... Give my regards

Del Phillipson likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#3 by Tom Photiou , Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:21 pm

Thats very generous. Now then Robert, you have to decide wether to view films or catch up on lots of reading

Looking for Abba the movie Scope trailer

Del Phillipson likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#4 by David Ollerearnshaw , Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:33 pm

My retirement project to scan some of them. I have done about 8 issues.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

The following members like this: Del Phillipson and Tom Photiou

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#5 by Del Phillipson , Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:35 pm

I have one or two copies of Movie Maker, like Robert I never saved them, I bought it every month back in the day.

Del Phillipson
Date registered 07.18.2017
ThankYou 137

#6 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:39 pm

Del, did you buy 'Film Making' as well; it came out at a different time to 'Movie Maker', so I had something new to read about every fortnight. It wasn't as good, and I bought it mainly to the see the dealers adverts, as new releases were coming out all the time. I only saved the final issue.

Robert Crewdson

#7 by Tom Photiou , Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:43 pm

Yes i also regret not keeping my movie makers, the first pages i would turn to was the Bill Davidson reviews and the test reports. All gone now

Looking for Abba the movie Scope trailer

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#8 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:49 pm

I'll try to do both Tom; catch up on reading and watch film in the evening. In those days I used to eat, drink, and sleep cine.

Tom Photiou likes this
Robert Crewdson

#9 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:27 pm

Yes, Robert, in my early years in the hobby (1970s), I, too, used to eat, drink, and sleep cine. But, like you, I now have a much healthier perspective on it during the succeeding decades. There’s a lot more to life! 🙂

Tom Photiou likes this
John Hourigan

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:24 pm

I've been seeking these out and buying what I can find when I find any.
I don't have hundreds of them but a nice mixture of both Movie Maker and film Making.

I try to find one's from around the mid 70's to around 1984/5 latest.
Some tasty super 8mm gear in the later ones but beyond 85 it's almost all video chat so I don't bother with any after this year.

They are still a terrific read, very informative and give great reviews of our kit and films quite besides the nostalgia aspect of all the advertisements within.

When I was very young, I used to love cine, now it's something that is pretty much part of my DNA! 😂😂

Hugh once again, shows his generosity to others far beyond what is typical in this hobby and how refreshing it is to see among all of the everyday greed and rip offs that many in this game complain about and find on a fairly regular basis at times.

Well done once again Hugh, Top top man, hats off!

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Tom Photiou likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:19 pm | Top

#11 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:59 pm

I was quite surprised at some of the prices; looking back to 1973, a 2nd hand B&H 16mm projector the 655Q was £295; you could buy one half that price now. At the other end, there were sets of new geared 16mm rewinds for £2.75 , and Collectors Club were only asking 5p postage for a 200ft film.

Robert Crewdson

#12 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:26 pm

People often lose sight of just HOW unbelievably expensive this hobby was when all offerings were brand new or used but still only a few years old back then,.. film or kit!

There is no way on God's green earth I could ever have purchased one half of the things I have been able to since returning and my own income isn't anything like what It was some twenty or so years ago when I spent a lot of my time in the field as a service engineer.
So things are much easier now than they used to be if you consider how long it would have taken us to have afforded the brand new versions of what we have or even things that were only a few years old.

It was only when new revolutionary video equipment first captured the imagination of cine fanatics and the population in general that our cine gear was sold cheaper and en masse.

When you frequently saw almost new and Derann's latest feature releases hitting the Derann "used" lists in the very late 90's for around £150 -£200 in "A" or "-A " condition, it was no coincidence it was at exactly the same time they were advertising the then newly developed latest Sony and Sharp dedicated HC Video Projectors to part exchange their film collections and film equipment against!
They were basically buying their very own products back from their customers for a fraction of what they had previously paid out for them only a short time earlier when they were brand new, as people switched over to the "new revolutionary" format.

Those days now have well and truly been and gone already, so it's no wonder at times now, we do now see items at what is considered sky high prices for the most desirable items ever provided.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:19 pm | Top

#13 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:27 pm

In those days Andrew it took me weeks to be able to buy a feature; I had a mortgage, plus, I wanted to shoot film. I was an avid record collector as well. Then you need money for a holiday every year. I was only able to do it because I was single. A sound cine camera was the only thing I ever bought on HP, as it allowed me to have money for buying or making films.

Robert Crewdson
Last edited Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:29 pm | Top

#14 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:29 am

In those same relative days, I cannot remember buying much without the aid of HP Robert!
Well to be fair, more once I had kids to feed, cars to be paid for as well as the mortgage to be met each month.

In one hand, out of the other.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:33 am | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
cheak this one out one born every minute

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor