Upgrade in reverse.

#1 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:19 pm

I don't know if this is the correct heading, and people outside of our hobby would probably say we were downgrading, but here goes. We all know of people that have bought the VHS tape, then along comes the much better DVD, and they upgrade to that: then comes Blu-Ray, and some will upgrade again. Now, my question is, how many of you have been through some or all of those stages, and still bought the film print when it's come along?. When I told my wife just before Xmas that I had finally stopped collecting, owing to acute shortage of space, I was rather disappointed, because I felt the collection was incomplete; the one title I had desired above any other had always been 'Jason and the Argonauts'. I hadn't bought the Derann version when it appeared, as it seemed so expensive at the time. I had to make do with the VHS tape, which was my very first purchase, and later I got the DVD. I'd only just stopped collecting, when David Guest put a 16mm copy up for sale. I had to break my promise of not buying, for one last time. Now I am happy to say 'that is it'. Owning it on digital just wasn't the same. I attach a couple of photos; I could easily show you another 4 or 5 where I have got the print, long after the digital copy. I think this is probably fairly common. I can't imagine that those people willing to pay in excess of £1,000 for a Super 8 copy of 'Star Wars', don't already own it in some format. Film is special.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Tom Photiou
Robert Crewdson

RE: Upgrade in reverse.

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:04 pm

Just missing the Blu Ray disc there now Robert! 😁

Yes I have done this very same thing across many of my Disney titles on at least 2 or 3 different formats, and for some, even 4!
The same also for adventure action films like Die Hard etc etc.

I've never seen J&TA come up on S8 from Derann, if I had, I would have been tempted by it up until a certain price point at least. 😊

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:05 pm | Top

#3 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:31 pm

I don't have Blu-Ray; the non film collectors would probably think we were mad, paying some of these prices just to own something we already possess.

Robert Crewdson

#4 by Gwyn Morgan , Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:07 pm

No Robert you are not alone ,some would most probably say we are mad but I have collected all the different formats just to get a good copy and in some cases an original full length version of a film.
I think one of my best ones is for a film called “ Z” which I saw when it was first released back in 1969.The film won a number of Academy awards.What I liked originally was the theme music by Mikis Theodorakis so I bought the LP,then followed the VHS copy ,then the imported DVD and finally the 16mm film.The first version I had was turning,but fortunately I was able to import a good copy from the USA.THen when I was on holiday in The Canaries I found a special edition CD.Oh yes and I nearly forgot I have an original quad poster.Lost the plot on this one but each to his own.
I did do some pics and a piece about this film about eighteen months ago on here along similar lines.😂😂
📽📽

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#5 by Tom Photiou , Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:26 pm

I have also done the same thing, when the kids were young we bought the Disny video's and DVD, all the usual's, Lion King Beauty and the beast etc, but when Derann released the intro promo and The Elton John video promo to the Lion king i sold a stupid amount of older films in order to buy these, 8 minuets worth, and when the feature came out we bought the first second hands ones we saw, people in work thought i was simple.

NOW< move on to last week, i had my latest 16mm purchase delivered to my work as i was fed up with missing the delivery geezer. It arrived, and as i opened it i could see curious eyes looking over. I took it out of its can and one of the mechanics came over and said , "What the F is that"? I said, "this boy, is real film, it's an episode of an 80s telly programme called the professionals". He came back with, "I've seen that on ITV4". He asked me how many episodes were on that one reel, when i said one he said, (well, i cant repeat it here). then he asked me , "do you have the machine to show that on"? i laughed and said, obviously, his last word, "impressive", followed by "i'd like to see it". He's 20 years old. Peasant!!! Times have changed in such a short time.

Looking for Abba the movie Scope trailer

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#6 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:39 pm

It's surprising isn't it tom, that in such a short space of time, that some people don't know about cine film and how we saw it. Gwyn, there are people who collect the lot, digital in all versions, then 8, 16, 35, and 70mm if they could get it. How many times have I seen an old Standard 8 camera being advertised on Ebay as a Camcorder.

Robert Crewdson

#7 by Tom Photiou , Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:47 pm

hehe, yeah and people selling films and calling them tapes.

Looking for Abba the movie Scope trailer

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Insurance

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor