RE: Digital references.

#26 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:00 pm

I hope not, as we need clearly defined borders, so that I can do my job as Moderator. I'm pleased to say though that the forum is generally self regulating. I see myself largely here to try and keep order if disagreements get out of hand. As already said, digital will come in from time to time, but we need to try and keep it to a minimum, so the forum will be enjoyed by all.

Martin Dew likes this
Robert Crewdson

#27 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:34 pm

The forum nowadays (and for some time now) is pretty much self regulating, I agree Robert. Since the very early days here, I have seen little of political and religious discussion for example which people of course take exception to, to then feel the need to ever "moderate" and delete anyone's comments.

I just wish, as I do with them all now, there were more people inputting to these places and sharing their collections and enthusiasm with us all here. They are out there,.. somewhere.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:51 pm | Top

#28 by Martin Dew , Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:37 pm

Yes, Andrew, there is absolutely no question that 16mm and Super 8 looked better on a big screen than 425i video. If you remember in my article in HCC, I found it shocking in the mid-1990s that we were reviewing laserdiscs for quality control on Runco and Barco line-quadrupled projectors costing as much as small houses, ten years after film had been given a wide berth. The images were rubbish, but we thought it was progress.

Stuart Reid likes this

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#29 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:40 pm

I don't remember that particular article Martin, i must admit. I would however, have been in complete agreement with you had I have done at the time.
We all wasted a lot of money back then, thinking back.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though!

They were the first of the "almost there" days, but of course, never entirely convincing any of us. The dust that my first PJ gathered was nobody's business. Barely a week went by without me having to dismantle the light engine to clean the three panels and converge them all again!

I am sure those small houses nowadays will be worth hundreds of times more than those same quadruple lining projectors, almost the very same size as those small houses!

Martin Dew likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:27 pm | Top

#30 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:26 pm

With all due respect, Vidar, and if I may say so, you have just made Robert’s job as moderator much harder by saying, “post whatever you like.” We’ve seen what happened to this forum earlier without assertive forum leadership — it descended into chaos.

John Hourigan

#31 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:30 pm

John I honestly do not know how you can possibly ever say that.

You weren't even a member here at the times you are referring to so how on earth would you possibly know?

Robert has one of the easiest jobs in the world here moderating this forum.
As said, for the most part, it self regulates as Robert has found for himself since being back here.

Rather than posting statements in your early days here surrounding the political way forward for this forum to be ran successfully from just your own viewpoint, why not simply post about your collection of films and projectors?

I am sure most would be far more interested in that conversation.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:45 pm | Top

#32 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:44 pm

Yes, I wasn’t a member, but there was a reason for that — as you may remember, the forum allowed nonmembers access to a portion of the forum, from which I could see where it was headed. Members flaming other members, others resigning their membership in a bluster, and constant teeth-gnashing about why more people weren’t posting, as well as endless conversations about posting quantity “requirements.” All in all, it was a somewhat poisonous environment for something that is simply a hobby. As I said before, it was once this forum decided to go the route of an assertive moderator that I decided to join the forum.

We all need to give Robert our support if this forum is to survive — and let’s all remember, it is always a good idea to not become obsessed — life is far too short for that.

John Hourigan

#33 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:50 pm

The thing is Andrew, this forum is largely open to the public, so non members see what's going on, and as John said in an earlier statement, that he wanted to join before, but was put off by the in house fighting. Saying 'Post whatever you want' removes the need for a Moderator. New members are asked to read the rules of the forum. I think we have to follow those rules, but at the same time, sometimes be flexible when it comes to mentioning digital. As said before, it's impossible not to make reference to it at some time. Real film, and the means to show it should be the main topic of conversation.

Mats Abelli likes this
Robert Crewdson

#34 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:51 pm

John, All you ever ever saw was a tiny snippet of all the good work that ever went into the forum, the vast majority of which you saw was non specific to a particular gauge of film or even anything to do with film at all.

You therefore can have no idea of how the vast majority of actual film related posts were conducted or received here.

It isnt helpful to anyone here just to join here to try to Mix things up among its long serving and regular members here John.

Constructive film related posts have been posted in abundance here by ALL of those people, it would be nice to see similar from yourself to assure us all you are sincere in your intentions for joining this film forum to discuss film related products within it.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:55 pm | Top

#35 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:54 pm

I don't agree Robert.

Only one small section of this forum among many many others is open for public perusal.

Andrew Woodcock

#36 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:55 pm

I'd like to know what other members think; whether we should stick to the original idea of this forum, or whether you want a forum where anything goes. In which case, I wouldn't be required, and would go off and do other things. Film is very important to me, but I do have other interests.

Robert Crewdson

#37 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:55 pm

Trouble is, I am tired, always disagreements. I do not like digital postings, unless they are film related. Like Pedro boxes, even sell DVD’s here, IF they are from Film Conventions or such, just about film. When saying this, others starts to complain again, so I give up. If people are not mature enough to follow rules, why bother.

The time is closing in, I not want this anymore. If people just kept it civilized, about film or film related stuff, nothing else, it would be easy, but always disagreements

Really tired of it and not sure it’s worth it. Facebook page seem to work better

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 349

#38 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:58 pm

And that is just what some people love to hear unfortunately Vidar.

It's a real shame as the vast majority of our sincere membership here simply want to operate within the interests of this forum.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:01 pm | Top

#39 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:58 pm

I have had emails from people who are not members here, who have seen the arguments you had with Mark Mander. Looks like we need to have a vote on what type of forum the members want. By Vidar saying 'Post what you want', then my role is finished. I had persuaded on well known collector to join us later, but that may not happen now.

Robert Crewdson

#40 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:00 pm

Well that would be a real shame also then Robert.
Well known respected actual collectors with something positive to add here, is precisely what is always required and what will always be very much welcomed.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:38 pm | Top

#41 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:06 pm

Well, I just need to know from Vidar whether he wants us to follow the rules as he just said, or whether we can post anything. If he wants the rules followed,then I can do that without being overly strict. I was brought in as already said 'To make the hard decisions'. If we are going to play by the rules, then I need to be able to do that without criticism of my decisions. I don't see that happening between Doug Meltzer and Brad Miller.

Robert Crewdson

#42 by Tom Photiou , Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:07 pm

My opinion is it should be are per originaly set up. Film only.
Anything else does problems and at the end of the day there are other forums for digital items. IMO

Looking for Abba the movie Scope trailer

Mats Abelli likes this
Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

#43 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:09 pm

I agree with everything you say Robert but don't believe for one minute that even Doug or Brad could ever be above or beyond criticism.

They have been criticized on many different occasions at times by my many different members.
It is all part and parcel of not being able to please all of the people all of the time.
That is something every individual posting on any public place has to accept.

As any kind of authority in these places, all you can do is remain level headed enough to be able to see the wood from the trees and decipher accordingly. Then stick by those principles.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:56 am | Top

#44 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:11 pm

I was referring to Doug as Moderator and Brad as Administrator. I do know that members are not always happy; sometimes the censorship seems over the top.

Robert Crewdson

#45 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:29 pm

When it's over the top - people complain, when it's insufficiently regulated according to some - people complain.

It's just the way it is and so long as the person administrating, moderating or any other such title, is satisfied the forum is being run in the manner best suited for its membership's wishes and their subsequent return, that's the best anyone can aspire to.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:57 am | Top

#46 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:39 pm

I want the rules followed, but for some it is wrong too. I do feel, Wolverine is fine, Pedro box is fine, my new Benq digital projector is NOT fine, my new Blu-Ray of Blade Runner 2049 looks great and film is flawed is not fine. If your opinion is, Blu is better, get to n a digital forum, if you love the magic of film, use the film forum and talk film.

Robert has been given the opportunity to make, edit and enforce the rules, I really not want to bother, if people need to disobey rules

Mats Abelli likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 349

#47 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:40 pm

All good points from the various posters — I would just add that the majority of members here, including me, don’t have the time (or inclination) to spend countless hours on this forum, and their wishes, opinions and views should count as much as those who do.

Thanks again for your work here, Robert! You’re doing a great job under somewhat challenging circumstances.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Martin Dew and Mats Abelli
John Hourigan

#48 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:42 pm

You have spent plenty of time here these past few days John i see.

I very much look forward to hearing about and seeing your collection of films and related equipment here in the future hopefully.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:43 pm | Top

#49 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:46 pm

And to be fair Vidar, I haven't seen or heard of anyone here wishing to operate outside of your long existing set of rules here throughout this discussion.

I think the points you make of what you deem as unacceptable here, everyone already understands, is happy with, and already sings from a very similar hymn sheet here.

Mats Abelli likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:33 pm | Top

#50 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:21 pm

We've seen that Vidar wants the rules adhered to, and that's how it will be. There's no need to change or add to the rules, they are fine as they are. I just needed the clarification from Vidar as to what he wanted, and we have got that.

Mats Abelli likes this
Robert Crewdson

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Morecambe and Wise saved from a skip

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor