Worth a watch

#1 by Gwyn Morgan , Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:17 pm

Two recommendations for those who still go to the videorama,
Darkest Hour starring Gary Oldham
The Post starring Tom Hanks
Both seen in the last couple of days and not a space ship or alien in either,admittedly quite a bit of talking but non the less still very gripping in there own right.
(Bus mans holiday for me😄😄😄😄)
Anyway if you have a spare couple of hours have allot see.
📽📽📽

Del Phillipson likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

RE: Worth a watch

#2 by Christina Taylor , Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:13 pm

Thanks a lot for these recommendations! I will use them

Del Phillipson likes this
Christina Taylor  
Christina Taylor
Date registered 02.12.2018

Last edited 02.15.2018 | Top

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:07 pm

No thanks, film at home is better than video out :-)

I might Ask a Policeman today

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

Last edited 02.16.2018 | Top

#4 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:06 pm

Agreed Vidar; going to the cinema now is not a pleasant experience. I can relive the original experience at home. You will enjoy 'Ask a Policeman'.

Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!
Robert Crewdson

#5 by David Skillern , Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:55 pm

I love Ask A Policeman, I also have the full features of Convict 99 and Oh Mr Porter

Vidar Olavesen likes this
David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#6 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:49 pm

Actually, I think the cinema experience has improved greatly over the years. I can only speak regarding the United States, but cinemas in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s could be just plain gross, with sticky floors, popcorn strewn all over the place, and chatty people sitting behind you. Now cinemas offer stadium seating, recliners, and the opportunity to have drinks/food delivered to your seat. Much better than the filthy and trash-strewn cinemas of yore.

(Also, allow me to congratulate Robert on becoming moderator of this forum. While the prior “wild west” version of this forum certainly made for an entertaining read to someone just looking in, it was the move to having a more assertive moderator to bring order to the chaos that prompted me to join the forum. Congrats Robert!)

John Hourigan

#7 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:36 am

Thank you for those kind words John, and we are very pleased to have you here. The cinema experience is different in the USA and the UK. When we only had the one screen we had an intermission when someone would come round with ice cream , popcorn, and orange juice. When they moved into 3 screens in one, that all ended, and not even an usherette to show you to your seat. My main complaint isn't the change from film to DVDs, but the noise levels. I find it uncomfortable, and go to enjoy the movie, not to have my hearing damaged. If you want anything to eat or drink you have to buy it before you go in the the screening room.

Robert Crewdson

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:17 pm

The cinemas hit rock bottom for presentation during the late 90's and early 00's in my opinion, here in the UK.
Many multi screen smaller theatres suffered with shabby seating and even torn screens as I recall in this era..
Whenever I have been to any multiplex in recent times however, I have been pleasantly surprised by new investment in furnishings, presentation and overall comfort standards now.
The seating is better, the theatre's are generally cleaner and the 4k / 10k images and Dolby Atmos True HD sound has been sensational to my eyes and eyes at least.
I have enjoyed my last few occasions of visiting the cinemas even though it isn't something I tend to do too often for entertainment nowadays.

That is more to do with release title appeal to myself and my family than anything else though.
Some titles I feel, are only worthy of spending the money it takes to view in HD at home on our own big screen.

As for the moderator situation, Vidar and myself at least, didn't particularly enjoy to police this forum with a rod of steel John. Many comments were allowed to stand, just as they always did in the early days of this forum when Robert was still a member of the admin team back then.
Vidar's policy may have now changed, hence Roberts New appointment and perhaps now this forum may be moderated in the manner often seen elsewhere where many comments do become deleted for many many different reasons.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:07 pm | Top

#9 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:28 pm

I'd be interested to know what the average screen size was back in the 60s, and what it is now. We frequently went to two cinemas in Oxford, but have only been to the one since it changed to 3 screens in one building, back late 70s or early 80s. The film I saw in the new revamped cinema was the remake of 'Flash Gordon'.

Martin Dew likes this
Robert Crewdson

#10 by Martin Dew , Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:45 pm

When I was at Lucasfilm, the requirement was for every seat in the house to have a 32-degree viewing angle to the screen. What we were doing in the 1990s was to redress the appalling state of cinemas in the United States, and to encourage exhibitors to build out their 'shoebox' multiplex cinemas - mostly developed in the 1970s - into larger screen complexes. I was charged with bringing that model and THX Certification licensing to Europe and Asia at the time, and I'm happy to say that while the THX brand holds less equity now, I believe it was our commitment to preserving 'what the director intended' (our much-aped mission statement), that cinemas around the world improved immeasurably. It's a pity that film gave way to digital images, but exhibitors only need to follow a few basic rules to ensure superb presentation.

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#11 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:35 pm

The difference between the forum in the beginning and now, is that after the recent problems, Vidar was looking for someone to make the hard decisions, which he was formerly responsible for. Hopefully we won't be like the other forum, where the the censorship seems unnecessarily strict at times. The main rule is to be polite, even if you hold a different view to another commenter.

Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!
Robert Crewdson

#12 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:38 pm

I agree that censorship on other forums at times, borders on the ridiculous.
It is no nanny state that we live among and our adult conversation should be allowed to reflect this fact at all times imo.
All opinions and outlooks should be respected and tolerated in an adult society so long as they stay legal and non liable imo.

Problems and people leaving as a result existed right from the outset here, have still existed in presence terms here recently, and will continue to always exist while ever individuals are not mindful of the fact that irrespective of whether someone has the same opinion as ourselves, it really doesn't matter.
What right does any of us here have to delete anybody's comments while ever they are valid or legal?

It is people from all creeds and colours and all sectors of society which brings about its diversity which is a truly marvellous attribute if viewed through very open eyes, no matter how opinions and beliefs differ.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:30 pm | Top

#13 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:06 pm

I think times to intervene will be very few and far between. The problem is when people who appear to be losing the argument turn to verbal abuse. That's probably the only time a Moderator has to step in. Over in the other forum, there was that elderly Scotsman, who through ill health was having to dispose of his collection, and was looking to sell as one lot, and was told that if he didn't list titles and prices, his post would be deleted. I wasn't the only one who thought this was being too strict.

Robert Crewdson

#14 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:15 pm

Ian is a real gentleman as well to deal with. I picked out what I wanted from his collection a few months back now and he and his wife are superb to deal with.

When something is advertised as "a complete lot" it is only almost impossible to place a price on the lot based on each items estimated value.
Much again is to do with timing in the market and the overall desirability, condition and collectable interest of the items on offer, including any equipment.

All Ian could realistically do here in this case, is ask for any interested parties to enquire further on his lot and see whatever offers were made to him.
It's bonkers to expect an upfront price to be placed on sales such as this.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:24 pm | Top

#15 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:36 pm

Just a friendly perspective from someone who was one of those “outsiders” that the earlier version of this forum gnashed its teeth about in terms of the question, “why aren’t more people joining?” At times this forum was amazingly pugilistic for no reason, with some of the post strings, while having the entertainment value of an unhinged soap opera, became quite jaw-dropping to outside readers. I think that dissuaded people from joining the forum — I know it did for me, as it wasn’t exactly the “friendly film forum” as it was being touted back then.

Thank goodness Robert became moderator and got it back on track. At that point, I decided that it was then worth it to join the forum. Everyone needs to remember that it’s just a hobby, and it’s supposed to be fun above all else — there are plenty of other unrelated forums where one can demonstrate their supposed prowess at engaging in philosophical questions and animated intellectual banter at all hours regarding a whole host of world-heavy issues. But I joined this forum because of my life-long interest in film and screening technologies.

Simply put, keep up the great work, Robert — I sincerely believe this much-needed change in direction of the forum will yield many more people joining the forum, just as I did.

John Hourigan

#16 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:44 pm

Let's hope you're right then John.

I agree that this is ONLY ever a hobby, but a hobby needless to say, one in which some merely dip their toes in the water to test among, while to others, one which plays an enormous part in their everyday existence in terms of time spent with it and time spent being pro active among it.

Of course from one extreme to the other, people's attitudes towards it all will differ just as with any other passion in this world.

The main thing is all are tolerated, respected and allowed to play their part no matter how insignificant or significant as the case may be.

All should always feel welcomed here, no matter how little or large is their overall interest and contribution to this lot here.

I personally however, am not a particular fan of individuals who join such places as this just to shift goods for free without also contributing a little towards such places especially if involved within this hobby.
I understand it goes on and that it has to be tolerated but I for one, would always pass comments on such activities as I feel is any regular participants right who visits here.
If this entire hobby is one which is or has been of interest to you, well let's hear about that interest then shall we, would be my own outlook in such circumstances.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:13 pm | Top

#17 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:25 pm

Thanks, Gwyn, for the recommendation regarding Darkest Hour — as a result, I’m going to screen it in the home theatre tonight.

Thanks!

John Hourigan

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Survey: What is your MAIN gauge

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor