Really exciting news regarding a new Polyester Striping Service

#1 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:27 pm

As I'm certain many will have read, Alberto over on film tech is now offering a new striping service for 16mm or Super 8mm Acetate or Polyester films which even includes a balance stripe for Stereo Super 8mm recordings and if you don't fancy having a go at this yourself, they even offer a mono or Stereo recording service!

Things really are at last looking up now for a healthy future regarding small gauge film.
We just need some newly produced film stock now! 😊😊😊

Contact details...

ALBERTO VANGELISTI C/O ONDA RADIO SERVICES SRL
Via Provinciale, 35 - Loc. Crespellano
40053 VALSAMOGGIA (BO)
ITALIA
EMAIL : moviemagnetic@gmail.com
TEL. +39 339 3937360

And here is a short video of Alberto's superb set up and skill set! 😊😊😊

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q...+magnetica+16mm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NEgyDMLwu1s

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen, Mats Abelli, Eivind Mork, John Armer, Del Phillipson and Tom Photiou
Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:31 pm | Top

RE: Really exciting news regarding a new Polyester Striping Service

#2 by Eivind Mork , Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:49 pm

That is indeed very interesting news!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#3 by Maurice Leakey , Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:55 am

How are magnetic slurries obtained? Anyone know?

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#4 by Paul Browning , Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:52 pm

You could ask Alberto Maurice, but I doubt he would tell you, I have looked at the youtube upload, it looks like the paste the Derann used when Kodak/ Agfa stopped production in 1978/9 and sold it to 3M. Its looks like pyral product to me, but he claims its a better formula than the Agfa f5 product with better fidelity, I hope it is, but the grey stuff is where the problems with the sound recording started with Derann, but I think it was more like a bias problem than the paste itself. It does have to be carefully made with the correct structure to get a good recording, long grain structure, its just rust made in the lab, suspended in an oil like substance to stop it becoming one piece, a thinning agent is added and some form of glue to help it stick to the film base........

Stuart Reid sais Thank You!
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#5 by Maurice Leakey , Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:30 pm

Thank you, Paul.
The agitation period was very long, and the preparation was quite involved. I watched a section of the video many times but could still not see how the oxide actually got onto the film. It was poured into a tank in which some kind of "wheel" was revolving. But, at that point I was lost.
Has anybody got better eyes than I have?

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#6 by Paul Browning , Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:53 pm

You are correct Maurice, if you imagine how the lines on a road are laid down, this is the principle of how the paste gets on the film, and its reversed, a very heavy wheel is in
constant contact with the film in the exact same place from the outside, its crude but effective, it also has to keep the spread and thickness of the stripe a constant, it then goes on a very long tour around many pulley's in an air drying process before being spooled at the end of the process, a really messy process, how they ever kept the paste from the film plain is a miracle, but they did for many miles, and the balance stripe was half the width of the main stripe ( super 8) ........

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#7 by Tom Photiou , Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:08 pm

I wonder what the long term effects are on the heads of projectors, especially with some of those bumpy stripes reported in the past.
I think i would rather avoid a film with that type of "lumpy" stripe. (or were they exaggerations?)

Looking for Home alone trailer and Abba Scope trailer

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 11.05.2017 | Top

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:03 pm

You already own some of the worst examples Tom, as do I!!

Titles like Madagascar, Dancing In The Street for example,.. so you decide whether or not this is too lumpy or not for your mag heads or simply a mere exaggeration.

Personally, I think it's somewhere in the middle on both counts.

I wouldn't want every print going past my mag heads looking like these, but just like any other vice in life, a little bit of what you fancy every now and again does nobody any real harm! 😊😊

The good news and most important news among all of this here is simply that this stripe should always be much much better and a great deal of thought and technical expertise has seemingly gone into this latest exciting process on offer here!
I don't remember seeing or hearing of a strong magnet fitted to previous examples to distribute the paste particles to just where you want them and to even out the density of them into a precision dried layer like this before. 😊😊

I was also impressed by the level of detail offered to the temperature control throughout the process until the paste is fully cured.
40 minutes agitation also seems very thorough.
So long as the finished product lives up to all of the boasts of this video, I'd be delighted to send one of my prized prints to Alberto in future times ahead.

Just imagine,.. Lethal Weapon in Stereo mag track sometime in the near future!

Tom Photiou likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:34 pm | Top

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:39 pm

If only this service was around when i first obtained my print of Robocop.
I may just have stood half a chance of rectifying the first 18 minutes of it without the disastrous consequences that followed!!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:39 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Welcome new mebers

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor