Frankenstein. U8 400ft b/w Sound

#1 by Tom Photiou , Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:00 pm

This is defiantly a movie that needs no introduction at all, the classic 1931 universal horror film on the super 8 gauge.
This film is very well edited and again, what a shame U8 didn't release these b/w horror classics, (wolfman,Dracula and this one along with Psycho), as 2 x 400 footers, they would have been super 8 classics.
As it stands it is well edited and the run order is simply this,
A short section of the original titles runs into two men, Frankenstein (Colin Clive) and his hunchback assistant,Fritz, (Dwight Frye), robbing a grave for the experiment.
They are then seen passing by a gallow,with a body hanging;Fritz, is ordered to climb up and cut the body down. Frankenstein realises that the neck is broken & the brain is useless and must get another one.
Fritz beaks into the university and finds the "normal" brain, a loud sound makes him drop it onto the floor so he grabs the "abnormal" brain and runs off.
The scene then fades into a large tower,were everything is now ready for Frankenstein's experiment the creation.
The body is hauled high up into the ceiling & brought back down, and we see a hand begin to move.
In a montage of shots with the main title music this a clever trick of U8 edited version which if you have never seen the full feature you would not guess at where this part is cleverly put together.
The creation escapes,and then appears from the bushes in the daylight where he meets the little girl by the lake.
He plays with the child,throwing daises heads into the water, it is clear when he runs out of daises that the girl is going to end up in the river, a scene completely removed by universal even in the full version, still images of this exist in many books.
Next up is the girls body being carried into the village by here Father, the villagers go out in force and go off in search of the monster. We next see the monster waiting for his creator, Frankenstein, behind a rock, a scuffle ensues and the unconscious Frankenstein is carried to the top of a windmill.
The climax from here on is shown almost uncut and eventually ends with the U8 logo as the end title, such a shame they couldn't have just had a snip of the original the end, but all in all an excellent editing job by U8 and a chance to own what must be one of the most iconic horror movies of all time. very recommended.
The quality is very good, the contrast has been better on some U8 releases but generally it is very good with sharp image and very good sound considering how old this movie is.

Looking for Home alone trailer and Abba Scope trailer

Vidar Olavesen likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 10.03.2017 | Top

RE: Frankenstein. U8 400ft b/w Sound

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:04 pm

Arghh! I know it so well!! 😂😂
Vidar will fill you in on the gag. 😂😂

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:04 pm | Top

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:09 pm

Very thankful for the lan from Mr. Scott and your, Andrew, effort in getting the English sound onto it for me. It just feels wrong when they speak German

:-) A very nice digest it is

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:12 pm

I think I must have viewed this film on two different prints about 15 times in 4 days!

I know it literally word for word. 😂😂😂

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Tom Photiou
Andrew Woodcock

#5 by Thomas Peters , Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:02 pm

Quote: Tom Photiou wrote in post #1

The quality is very good, the contrast has been better on some U8 releases but generally it is very good with sharp image and very good sound considering how old this movie is.

I have a copy of this, too.

I had heard a long time ago that Universal 8 made their b&w classic digests (not sure about the color digests of then-recent films) by editing 16mm prints. Negs were made from these edited prints for Super 8 and 16mm prints -- so they were basically dupes. When they were Castle Films, they made their digests from edited 35mm fine-grains! Many Castle prints I have leap off the screen, even in Super 8. Occassionally, however, Castle produced a print a bit dark. Depends on the copy you have -- I have had more than one Castle print of the same title, and one was too dark, the other was fine.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

Last edited 12.01.2023 | Top

#6 by Tom Photiou , Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:05 pm

They all seem to be pretty good for image, it's a shame they didn't do the classic horrors such as this one, Dracula, The invisible man and the wolfman, along with Psycho as 2 x 400footers like the modern titles. No idea why they opted to put these out only as 400s.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#7 by Thomas Peters , Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:14 pm

HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN full-length in Super 8 just sold on eBay a few days ago -- not sure who released it. It went for big bucks.

I have most of the Universal classic monsters films from Castle and U8. I still need THE WOLFMAN and DRACULA. I don't have those later ones from the 50s -- not interested. I have THE MUMMY, but not the sequels -- not interested in those either.

For the first 3 FRANKENSTEINs, I have the U8 versions, not Castle, except when I bought SON OF, it had the Castle parts spliced in.

I think U8 released a full-length BRIDE, but I've never seen one for sale. Could be an Internet rumor.

I agree, 2x400' for these would have been great. Instead, they opted for XANADU and THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING WOMAN!

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

North Sea Hijack, (ffolkes)
The Best of Benny Hill 1 x 600ft

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor