Buying Film...For the Sake of It!

#1 by Tim Duncan ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:48 pm

Am I all alone here, or has anyone else had this temptation? Have you ever bought any film(s) just because they were cheap, interesting and/or in acceptable condition, just because you wanted them for yourself? :-) Or maybe you weren't really interested so much in the subject matter. Do you ever buy film just for the sake of buying something, because you can't seem to control your urges to keep adding to your collection?

If my case were tried in a court of law, I would be guilty as charged!

The following members like this: David Ollerearnshaw and Vidar Olavesen
Tim Duncan
Last edited Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:54 pm | Top

RE: Buying Film...For the Sake of It!

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Sometimes ... I have bought many, just because the price was low ... Not a big fan of French films, but still got a few in my collection. They were 16mm features at 4 pounds, so why not I thought

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#3 by Tim Duncan ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:14 pm

At 4 pounds, I would have gotten them too! :-) I'm not into westerns, but I've bought a couple (digests) just because they were in good shape and cheap. :-)

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Tim Duncan

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:22 pm

Love Westerns myself, top ones are Once Upon a Time in the West, the Dollars trilogy, just about all Eastwoods westerns, Rio Bravo, Fort Apache, True Grit are all great. Just got Westworld, but not sure it is classed as a western

Oh, not to forget, Django Unchained and the masterpiece Hateful Eight

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

Last edited 04.11.2017 | Top

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:02 pm

Never just because they were cheap, but always whenever a title I fancy appears, especially if in tip top shape! 😂

To be honest, whenever anything appears too cheap, I'm usually put off by it suspecting something MUST be wrong with it.
Not always the case, but in 98% of my own "bargain buys", it nearly always was true unfortunately.

Saying that, I've spent sometimes fairly big, and still been very dissatisfied.
That's always down to the seller offering the goods though.
Completely inappropriately priced in each case and description was way out to the reality in each case.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:02 pm | Top

#6 by Eivind Mork , Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:12 pm

I have done this many times. Especially at the club if no one wants a film and I get it for next to nothing. I have several educational films I got that way :-)

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#7 by Tim Duncan ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:40 pm

From what I've heard of the Norwegian Film Club prices, it would be hard to turn down a film you could get for pocket money. :-)

Tim Duncan

#8 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:59 am

Guilty as charged! I bought two Super-8 features from the same seller and other than one missing the opening titles, both were in great shape. I paid less than $25 for the two so It was a good impulse buy!

Douglas Warren

#9 by Mats Abelli , Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:47 am

I have bought tons of films. Full collections, without knowing the condition and somtimes not even the titles. I keep what I like and sell the rest in the Club or on Tradera ( the Swedish Ebay ). I have mad many nice finds and when you buy big Collections the price tends to be really good. I Guess I have at least 500 films to sell to get Money for New purchases.

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:44 am

The two examples above from Mats and Douglas simply represent just brilliant astute buying power, aside from buying just for the sake of it, by the sounds of things.

Any two features on Super 8mm for only $25 that then turn out to be in good serviceable condition, has to be a bargain so long as both are not completely faded to beetroot.

The same for Mats example. If you can buy a collection and generate enough revenue from selling the titles individually on ebay to then provide you with the cream of the crop for free by doing so, this has to be a great way to acquire new good films. Perhaps a fairly sizeable initial outlay, but good films for free?..Has to be a great method of buying film.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:50 am | Top

#11 by Tim Duncan ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:18 am

I bet Mats has found some real treasures amongst those collections that he has gotten. :-)

Mats Abelli sais Thank You!
Tim Duncan

#12 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:28 pm

Luckily the two features I purchased were B & W prints from Walton Films. No worries about fading there!

Douglas Warren

#13 by Mats Abelli , Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:18 pm

Tim! I shurely have found a lot of interesting films. The only problem is to store and organize the lots. Two years ago I bought a 40 feature collection. 36 on 35mm and 4 on 16mm. That´s about a ton of reels and it takes some place to store, but I couldn´t resist to buy it. I payed about $600 for the whole lot. Among the titles are Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi ( 90´s editions unfortunately ), Titanic etc. I hope to find the time needed when I retire 2021. As I work in Norway far away from my Swedish home, i can´t spend all time at home to take care of the collection the way I´d like to.

Mats Abelli
ThankYou 112

#14 by David Ollerearnshaw , Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:25 pm

Bought a 16mm film no idea what the film is, but just thought the reel was nice.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#15 by Tim Duncan ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:55 pm

LOL David!
Sometimes those reels ARE worth more than the film mounted on them! :-)

Mats, I remembered you had far to travel for your job. :-/ 2021 sure is a LONG time for me to wait to come to Sweden to see your theater! :-) I'm very curious as to just how yourself and Vidar have your vast film collections organized! ;-)

Doug, I don't worry about my B&W films either! If they were going to shift, they would have done so YEARS ago!

Tim Duncan

#16 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:59 pm

It was organized for a while, now I lost control totally :-(

Space ... need some

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#17 by Mats Abelli , Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:56 pm

Tim, my friend! You don´t have to wait that long. June 16 -18, I will arrange a film collectors weekend in my home and you are very welcome. ( As well as all my friends on this forum )

Mats Abelli
ThankYou 112

#18 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:29 am

Another this time for the film lover among us all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL87sHjXlVU

https://vimeo.com/13717963

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:35 am | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Silver screens

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor