'Colour May Be Faded'

#1 by Martin Dew , Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:36 pm

I'm sure this subject has come up before among forum members' gripes about eBay, but don't you find it infuriating when sellers claim that a print's 'colour may be faded'?

If anyone selling a 16mm or 8mm film is educated on the subject enough to know that colour fade is an issue at all, then surely they also know that all they have to do is unravel a few feet of leader and look at the picture quality in the light? Furthermore, I would venture that most of these guys do actually own or have access to a projector, even when they claim they don't.

These posts waste buyers' time, and ultimately lose money for the sellers. I wish people would learn that honesty is directly proportional to cash return!

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Gwyn Morgan

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

Last edited 01.26.2017 | Top

RE: 'Colour May Be Faded'

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:43 pm

Me also Martin.

As said now many times over, the truth is often hinted upon, but the fact of the matter remains that these guys know exactly what they have and choose to just "indicate" any probable issues rather than describe it in any detail, or better still, with pictures.

They do so in the hope that some gullible person will still buy it for good money but as you so quite correctly point out, total honesty is always the best policy if you both value your own time as well as your reputation.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Vidar Olavesen
Martin Dew and Gwyn Morgan say Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock

#3 by Nigel Higgins , Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:35 pm

That is exactly why i put screen shots in my listings.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan, Martin Dew and Vidar Olavesen

Nigel Higgins
Date registered 12.06.2015
home: haverhill
ThankYou 14

#4 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:44 pm

Have to agree with both Martin and Andrew on this one,what is the matter with these people,do they really think anyone who knows anything about film is actually going to buy this crap because they are too lazy to check a few feet of fim.The other things that get me going are when they say they don't know whats on the film usually there is some indication of what a title might be,or just look at the film at the start of the reel surely they can see whats on a few frames.
Then of course you get the ones marked as "Rare",well I suppose if you don't know whats on the film,and it may be faded a bit,and may have a slight strange smell with no leader on a rusting metal spool then its rare.
Must be my strange sense of humour but Ebay has become a joke as far as I'm concerned.
Thank goodness for the reputable dealers still around who you know are going to let you have the film as described.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen, Nigel Higgins and Martin Dew

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:54 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

not always entirely correct in my experiences with these people on many an occasion Gwyn, but at least not a million miles away from description as is often the case now with film sold on ebay.

Again,..economy with the truth often prevails! 😂
On each occasion you simply get told, well I haven't seen it all the way through.

Maybe they should then, before advertising these things for sale with a precise price tag on each of them.

How can you gauge how much something is worth just by viewing the beginning?

The only occasions I've had a completely factual assessment of a film is when it is a flawless print. On all other occasions, I've noticed many things they themselves apparently didn't notice.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Martin Dew
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:05 pm | Top

#6 by Nigel Higgins , Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:25 pm

I sell regular on ebay all films (unless new and sealed) have been watched all the way through and screen shots taken all faults described as best as possible ,evern if it means i end up with less than it cost me ,i know that the buyer is always happy SIMPLE.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Gwyn Morgan
Vidar Olavesen and Martin Dew say Thank You!

Nigel Higgins
ThankYou 14

#7 by Tom Photiou , Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:44 pm

And mine arrived today Nigel and am very pleased thank you.
Will pop in a review this evening.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#8 by Nigel Higgins , Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:50 pm

Thanks tom ,im glad you got it ok and are happy.

Nigel Higgins
ThankYou 14

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Can anyone help with an email?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 3
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor