Quite a large leap!

#1 by Michael Lattavo , Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:09 pm

Well, I've gone and done it - I've purchased a 35mm projector. I met a guy at the last CineSea show in Wildwood, New Jersey last April, who until pretty recently had collected 35mm. We talked quite a bit, and I caught the bug.

He put me onto a forum, gave me some advice on what to look for, and after a few weeks got a solid lead on a Century projector that had just been taken out of service from a theatre.

When I first went to see it, I thought "no way - much too big for my basement, my wife will kill me, and way too complicated of a machine (the thing is actually several different parts)".

Then he threaded a trailer, and I was just blown away - and within the week I was picking it up. Got an incredible deal - Century projector head, Simplex sound head, the dolby sound processor, DTS reader, laser optical reader, equipment rack, xenon lamphouse, iron pedestal base, flat lens w/ aperture plate, almost brand-new scope lense w/ aperture plate, lots of reels, and a ton of spare parts - almost enough to build a second one someday!

I'm keeping it in the back file room of the office until I get the other side of my basement finished (at which time I'll break the news to my wife) - have been coming into the office extra early so I can tinker with it before starting my days. Recently got my amps and speakers in the mail, and have just finished cleaning it (which took over three hours - my gosh, it was filthy!) and setting everything up so I can practice using it. My current screen is the white cinder block wall.

Everything works perfectly, except the threading lamp - which I discovered this morning just needs a new switch.

So, definitely a learning experience, and definitely a bit over my head, but also very exciting! So far just screening trailers, but have a couple of inexpensive features on their way, so will take some screenshots once I get them!

Attached pictures:
Century.JPG  

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Vidar Olavesen

Michael Lattavo
Date registered 10.01.2015
ThankYou 42

RE: Quite a large leap!

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:37 pm

Beauty ... Be prepared to run out of space :-)

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:44 pm

Wow Michael!! That is one giant leap for Man....ha ha

I doubt that would fit anywhere in my house, certainly no way it could be hidden! 😂😂

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

#4 by Tim Duncan ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:34 am

Oh my goodness Michael! It may be a few years before your son can thread that one! Congratulations on your new toy! And good luck breaking the news to the mrs.! :-)

Tim Duncan

#5 by Eivind Mork , Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:48 am

Congratulations! What a beast to hide :-) Beautiful machine!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#6 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:06 am

Awesome, what a beauty, how quiet do these machines run? Mark

Mark Mander

#7 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:18 am

WOW Michael, that is a beast, what a machine, I can only imagine the picture quality you will get out of this, well done.

Del Phillipson

#8 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:26 am

Congrats Michael! If I may ask, how much did that machine set you back? Lots of selections for sale now since 35 mm is no longer shown in most theaters.

Douglas Warren
Last edited Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:28 am | Top

#9 by Michael Lattavo , Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:35 pm

Thanks everyone!

It was $1500 for everything I got - works great, and is a lot quieter than I thought it would be. The sound head is missing its cover, so I plan to fabricate one using Plexiglas - should help a little with the noise, and will definitely help keep dust out of the machine.

The sound is unreal - so far only have the two 'front' speakers hooked up - its like being in a real movie theatre!

Soon to come will be the hard part - telling my wife. But, I have a plan: Last winter, I re-did half of my basement. The finished side is a combo home theatre/kids play room. When I first finished it, my wife and I talked about my finishing the other half. That way, I can have one half for my films, the kids can have the other half for a play room.

So, I'm going to proceed according to plan - I'll build a projection booth, and set it up with my smaller projectors - would like to have one regular 8, one super 8, and two 16's set up at all times. I'll leave a gap in the middle for the 35. After I show my wife the room and booth, I'll sneak the 35 down. She never comes downstairs, so it could be a very, very long time before she sees it. Now, how to keep the kids from ratting me out?!?

Michael Lattavo
ThankYou 42

Last edited 12.13.2016 | Top

#10 by Gwyn Morgan , Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:58 pm

Very nice Michael,lovely looking machine you will have great fun with it.I see you are selling the red vehicle in the background to pay for it 😄😄😄😄
Don't tell the wife just wait for her to come across it and say it's been here all the time " you just never saw it!" Is your reply.
That's what I tell mine...".......... It works for a while
Very nice📽📽

Michael Lattavo likes this
Michael Lattavo sais Thank You!

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#11 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:25 am

Michael, what films are considering for your first 35 mm purchases? Any particular titles come to mind?

Douglas Warren

#12 by Michael Lattavo , Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:15 pm

Well, I have Teen Wolf and Thor on the way - and got 8 seconds for practically nothing - that will be the one I practice with, to keep me from damaging the others!

Michael Lattavo
ThankYou 42

#13 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:23 pm

There are tons of cheap 35mm prints out there to practice with first Michael.

Some people here have tried giving them away for postal cost or collection and still with no takers!

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:24 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Young Frankenstien

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor