"Cleopatra" (1934) 200' silent digest

#1 by Tim Duncan ( deleted ) , Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:17 pm

Well, after three runs of this reel, these are as good as my screenshots get. :-/
It's an interesting reel that I bought early on in my collecting venture. Cleopatra (played by Claudette Colbert) is abducted and left abandoned in the desert. But she makes her way to Caesar in an amusing way (concealed within a rolled-up carpet). Caesar is informed of the planned abduction promptly. After some dialogue between the two, we go to the next scene where a man is hidden behind a curtain. ready to attack during a conversation between Cleopatra and Caesar. Cleopatra spots the man behind the curtain and picks up a spear, carrying on the conversation as if nothing is wrong. In the midst of her talk to Caesar, she jabs the spear into the curtain, killing the man. After the body is carried off, she and Caesar embrace and the reel ends there with the closing credits. Although it may sound a bit lacking in story, this 200 footer is actually quite entertaining. The intertitles are very easy to read and not overdone. The theatrical release was during the time that the pre-code era was coming to an end. Therefore, some of Colbert's costumes were a bit more revealing than was allowed in films to come later. I love the box art on this Castle release. :-)

The following members like this: John Armer, Oemer Yalinkilic, Eivind Mork and Vidar Olavesen
Oemer Yalinkilic sais Thank You!
Tim Duncan
Last edited Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:22 pm | Top

RE: "Cleopatra" (1934) 200' silent digest

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:25 pm

Not seen this, only the Elizbeth Taylor one ... Nice screenshots as usual :-)

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 349

#3 by Eivind Mork , Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:52 pm

I didn't know about this film. Nice screenshots!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#4 by Oemer Yalinkilic , Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:10 am

As I was a child, I saw the cover in a catalog and I was always very curious but unfortunately never found a print for sale in a foto shop in the 70´s. There was only cartoons or universal horror from castle films in the shops.

Oemer Yalinkilic  
Oemer Yalinkilic
Date registered 08.17.2015
ThankYou 4

#5 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:36 am

Very nice screenshots Tim and I wasn't aware of this version of Cleopatra. It sounds like a typically well edited Castle digest.

Douglas Warren

#6 by Tim Duncan ( deleted ) , Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:09 am

Hi Oemer! I only wish the screenshots could have been clearer for you. But that box is what made me buy this in the first place! I've never seen the feature. :-)

Oemer Yalinkilic likes this
Tim Duncan

#7 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:13 pm

The screen shots are just fine Tim! Thanks for posting them here for us all and don't do yourself a disservice, they're absolutely fine Tim.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Eivind Mork likes this
Andrew Woodcock

#8 by Oemer Yalinkilic , Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:44 pm

They are 3 different excerpts from the old movie Cleopatra. Antonios and Cleopatra is easy to find, but this one is quite rare. This is a very good example of the great box art of castle films.
I like it, I love it.

Oemer Yalinkilic  
Oemer Yalinkilic
Date registered 08.17.2015
ThankYou 4

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Buster Keaton - Pest from the West

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor