Gate cleaning

#1 by Colin Fish , Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:26 pm

Does anyone clean or polish the film guides at the gate? If so what do you use?

Colin Fish  
Colin Fish
Date registered 10.06.2016
ThankYou 5

RE: Gate cleaning

#2 by Gwyn Morgan , Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:06 pm

Colin ,can't say that I have used any type of polish on the film guides or on any area of the film path.I clean with a soft cloth and usually remove the pressure plate and give it a clean with a soft brush,toothbrushes I find quite good,but I "polish" the film path if I could call it that only with a cloth and hand pressure.
I suspect it's down to the individual as to whether one uses any form of liquid type polish, I think the nearest I have got is a slight dab of we 40 on a cloth and me rubbing a lot to remove and clean anything ate wise.
I was always taught obviously never use anything metal on metal or anything which may scrape the metal on the pressure plate or gate area.I certainly don't want any residue from any polish / liquid anywhere near my films,but I think it's all down to the individual to decide.
The other thing I do use is canned air to blow out the " cobwebs " and dust.
Sorry not much help but as I say each to his own.📽📽

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#3 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:32 am

Cotton buds/swabs and rubbing alcohol for me, including the aperture which tends to attract dirt and dust quickly. I saw an old film from the 70's via the internet about projector care that showed someone using a wooden toothpick to clean the gate.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!
Timothy Duncan

#4 by Colin Fish , Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:49 pm

Thanks for the advice.

Colin Fish  
Colin Fish
Date registered 10.06.2016
ThankYou 5

#5 by Martin Dew , Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:53 pm

Bell and Howell recommends naptha or lighter fluid to clean the gate and sprockets. I usually apply it with a gate cleaning brush or old piece of t-shirt (lint-free). I've heard many people recommend isopropyl alcohol, and even WD40. I clean the gate and film path after every reel, just to be sure.

I also keep manicure sticks (orange wood) from Boots, for just £1, for removing stubborn emulsion stains. Probably better to use these soft wood sticks, rather than a toothpick.

Mats Abelli likes this

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Miss / Mrs Phylis Stein or philistine maybe?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor