RE: Severe sanity check now required

#51 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:37 pm

Oh well, there is plenty an outlet for these things David if you ever wanted to cut your losses with the prints you feel are holding on to money of yours.

At least you weren't spending it back then on cigarettes. That would have been a complete waste!

As for Ferrania, I give up??????

Miles out of schedule and no updates so who knows what is happening????

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

#52 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:39 pm

Andrew ... No I spent my money on booze instead and THAT IS a complete waste of money. hahahaha !!!!

David Hardy

#53 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:40 pm

We're all guilty on that front David!

Andrew Woodcock

#54 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:03 pm

David, Andrew, I'm guilty as charged regarding the booze

Del Phillipson
Last edited Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:03 pm | Top

#55 by Michael Lattavo , Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:34 pm

If so many are upset with how much they have spent, how much their collections are worth, either now or in the future, why not sell? If not sell the whole collection, trim the fat, sell the most expensive titles - that way you won't have to worry and fret about how much you've spent, but still have some titles to enjoy??

Michael Lattavo
Date registered 10.01.2015
ThankYou 42

#56 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:25 pm

No thank you Michael, respectfully! Then again , you won't find me moaning over what I've spent!

Nothing could have given me greater enjoyment from whatever I've spent!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:25 pm | Top

#57 by Tom Photiou , Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:02 pm

Michael, i am at the front of the Q for DH
Well, we have had our film showing tonight, had a yap with my Brother and told him, as many of us often say on here, once its gone its gone. As he is a huge Western & war fan with many titles in his collection i think it looks like we have decided to plod along but just be a whole lot more choosy about what we purchase in future.
Oddly enough two of our best purchases this year has been from Tavistock market & from Dave Guest, the 400ft version of Blazing saddles, and the 400ft of Scrooge, both are like new, & the odds and sods that went with it.
I am in the middle of my trusty Elmo 1200HD's having a good overhaul by the master so to sell up would truly be a waste. There are only a couple of feature's we are after and i think reading through this thread the sensible among us appear to be thinking the same way on price etc. I'm glad there is still some sense out there.
I guess it's the shock of seeing what some people are actually asking for there films, it could very well be that they are thinking, sell the cream while the goings good. Like Hugh, we were never in this hobby as an investment, yes i have bought one or two goodies to sell on but this was purely to make a little dosh to make purchases, indeed i worked out that i sold around a total of 40/60 minutes worth of various footage, & used the money to gain around two hours worth. But overall out of a total of well over 400 titles now it was small fry that was sold. Indeed in the past we have been very guilty of paying a little more than we should have but never anything as extortionate as to the sums being asked for now. However, i still say good luck to the sellers, if they are selling there collections they must get what they can.
Thanks for all for your reply's on this, it has kind of made us think a bit on it. Having cooled down a bit we shall try and turn blind eyes to the comical sales of the ridiculous.

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 06.23.2016 | Top

#58 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:15 pm

I'm really chuffed time has allowed you to rethink the situation through here Tom.
We love having you around here and the input you've given to fftc CHC mag etc etc, it's simply too much to be lost in the wilderness forever.

These barmy sky high prices of £750 upwards are seldom realized, there simply aren't enough wealthy film collectors anymore to sustain it! Ha ha.

Any money the wealthy film buffs once had, has been spent many years ago...on film! 😂😂

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:39 pm | Top

#59 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:04 pm

Tom, let me relate a true tale, way back in 1982/3, I wanted to buy the "Enter the Dragon" 400'. I rang Derann, this was on a Saturday, I
was told that they had had a sale and sold off ALL their films and were turning to video, I nearly fell off the end of the 'phone, now obviously this member of staff might have got it wrong, or it could have been the way it was going. It didn't mean that just because they
were going to drop film, that I should do likewise, no sir, I like my films, if I never bought another, I will enjoy what I have and am happy to share screenshots with anyone who cares to look, our film collections took time and care to amass, you don't chuck it on a whim.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#60 by Clyde Miles , Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:13 pm

hugh, i would phone them saturdays and the film department was always closed. the only day of the week most collectors could make a visit. anyway i think with all the prints that we have all amassed over the years, we should all consider ourselves film archivists

Clyde Miles
Date registered 08.09.2015
home: bromsgrove, worcs, uk
ThankYou 19

#61 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:24 pm

I know it became the norm Saturday closed, but I remember it distinctly Clyde as I was laying flags around the house at the time when
we were still living in Whitehaven, it might have been an "open day", but it was the weekend and was told that 8mm was being discontinued as video was the interest for people now, I felt lost, but still kept my films. I ended up getting "Dragon" from Ian at Perry's,
who was as puzzled as I was.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:26 pm | Top

#62 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:07 am

Michael that's a good point but I think I would sell my entire collection if
i chose to pack it all in. That would also include my projectors.
However I don't think I would sell up to go Digital but invest my money
on one of my other hobbies.
I am like that its all or nothing with me.
However I was never in the hobby of FILM collecting to make a future investment.
If I were I would have sold it all long before now.

David Hardy
Last edited Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:11 am | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
A GIGANTIC THANKS TO VIDAR .

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor