The UK Euoropean Referendum... Film Import Customs Duties.

#1 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:34 am

I am not going to talk politics here.
However I was just thinking that if the Majority of the people vote to leave the
E.U. it may have consequences for Film Collectors in the UK.
We may be faced with having to pay Customs Duties Fees if we buy a print from
an E.U. Country.
I personally am voting to leave the E.U. regardless of the SNPs policy to remain.
I voted for Scotland to leave the UK. So there is no way I am voting to remain
in the E.U.
Do other UK collectors think we may have to pay these duties ?

David Hardy

RE: The UK Euoropean Referendum... Film Import Customs Duties.

#2 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:24 pm

Hi David, there are ways and means to avoid the dreaded import duty, I have just received a film from Jonathan in Australia and we managed to sort it without paying any. I'm sure if we leave the EU it won't be a problem, that is if the world is still around because according to the stay campaign the world will cease to exist if we leave the EU. Didn't know we were so important

Del Phillipson

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:53 pm

Legally Del? ;-)

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#4 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:31 pm

You shouldn't pay import from Australia Del as they are part of the Commonwealth, something we had long before membership
of the expensive nonsense known as the EU. I imported two films last year from Aussie, I asked they be sent Seamail, both different sellers, as airmail was far too dear, it eventually came, no fees. Likewise when bought from Canada, two years ago got "Brannigan" from Canada, no duties.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:34 pm | Top

#5 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:02 pm

In answer to David's relevant question, I'll happily pay imports, small price to pay to leave this European mess, as other European Countries wish too, they are individuals with their own customs and borders, not this super state of higher and higher membership fees,
if we carry on the way Brussels wants, they'll all be living here anyway.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#6 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:04 pm

Del and Hugh ... Hahahahahahaha !
Great replies.
Yes if the Stay Voters are to be believed the UK is DOOMED !
Yeah right !!!

David Hardy

#7 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:07 pm

I am going to start a campaign for the E.U. to join the U.S.A.
Just think of all those lovely film prints we would not have to pay duties on.

Mats Abelli likes this
David Hardy

#8 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:13 pm

D'you know David, when some of these shitheads that want to remain and come with the crack "We are too small etc", I'd like to remind them to read their history books, we had an Empire, we still have a Commonwealth, we civilised the best part of this planet, we had one
of the biggest Navy's and English is a Universal language, not bad for a little country, that helped free Europe in the last War! I won't go
into the Industrial Revolution and the inventions like Railways, Steam Ships and countless Farming inventions, how would we manage, I'll
tell you, very well thank you. As for paying import duties, small price to pay to be rid of this millstone.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:17 pm | Top

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:29 pm

Del hits the nail on the head here earlier. If you know the person you are buying from and have gained their trust., much of these fees can be sensibly avoided.

E bay of course controls this for you and so it is a completely different story outside of private and trusted sales.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

#10 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:32 pm

Hi Andrew, they are Commonwealth countries...... no fees.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#11 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:03 pm

All this is irrelevant anyway as if we do vote to leave the EU then as mentioned the world will end. But at least we can then ship our films all over the world with no customs fee's, oh then again

Del Phillipson

#12 by David Ollerearnshaw , Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:56 pm

The only way I would vote to stay in the eu, would be if they made films available again. Just think a 'film' mountain.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#13 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:03 pm

Well put Hugh. My thoughts as well.

David Hardy

#14 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:27 pm

Well its a bit like being in the Mafia David, when you're in, you're in, no retrograde steps, who wants to be in this kind
of environment, we fought wars for freedom, here we are giving all our freedoms up..... for what, to be swamped by
loads of flotsam coming here for economic reasons, and to plot aggro, and when that vote is cast, once in, we can't come out,
if you're out, you can always re negotiate fresh terms. If it meant I never bought a film again, I'd still want out, as do many
European countries that gave up their currencies for the Euro, all the horrors were trotted out by all and sundry if we didn't take it on, it
is thanks to Gordon Brown, a canny Scot, who kept us out. They were wrong about the currency, they are wrong on this too.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:10 pm | Top

#15 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:17 am

My honest thoughts are that if we vote to leave, it will have a domino effect on the rest of Europe, there are a lot of people in different countries watching what's happening in the UK with interest.

Del Phillipson

#16 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:26 am

Yes Hugh certain principles in life are much more important than merely "buying things".
That includes for me at least Films and other stuff.

David Hardy

#17 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:29 am

The EU will implode Del, the Netherlands had a vote the other week to leave, it isn't only us, the other countries want out too.
Imagine inviting a few friends round for a get together, perhaps a film show, you dutifully stock up on the booze, nibbles, something
for a bit of supper etc. They dutifully arrive and take their seats, suddenly the doorbell goes, another group, friends of your friends
who wish to join the fray, no sooner in then another gang arrive. The room is quite full now, they start discussing your décor and colour
used on the walls, curtains need to be changed too, the furnishings are rearranged, some thrown out onto the patio, you are gobsmacked,
the bedrooms you are told will have to be let out too lodgers, that you will keep for free, no charges for rent etc, and they will tell you
when you can cut the grass, oh, and they are all staying for good in your little home. Nightmare scenario? Not really, we are in the EU.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#18 by David Ollerearnshaw , Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:41 pm

Guess what the eu are stopping next? CFL

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#19 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:00 pm

LOL at Hugh but totally agree, oh and by the way, you'll be told your grass is too green

Del Phillipson

#20 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:26 pm

That is a point too Del, I forgot to add in my parable of the suckers, for all this "help", we pay through the nose as well for it,
you couldn't make it up. Charles De Gaulle was the best friend we had, he didn't want Britain in the Common Market, they soon
changed their minds when they found out how easily fleeced we are. I am still amazed at this 6th largest economy in the World,
but we have Food Banks for our poorest, but bloody big cheques and housing for migrants, not to mention access to things they have made no contribution to. Something gone wrong somewhere.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:13 pm | Top

#21 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:12 pm

Hugh I think being in the E.U. is not merely a case of something having "gone wrong somewhere"
but something has gone wrong everywhere.
I totally agree with everything you say.
That's not a bad thing coming from an indigenous Scotsman.

David Hardy

#22 by Thijs de Kort , Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:53 pm

Totally agree on this one with you Hugh. You did make one false assumption though.
The Netherlands didn't vote to get out of the EU it was a vote about becoming a tradingpartner with Ukraine, our government doesn't even need to listen to the result seen the fact it was only a "advisory referendum" and they are free to do whatever they want.
I don't think we will vote to leave the EU soon seen the fact we are one of the six primary countries (see: ECSC)

Thijs de Kort  
Thijs de Kort
Date registered 10.05.2015
home: Tilburg, Netherlands
ThankYou 1

#23 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:59 pm

Well here's a thing David, listening to Cameron & Osborne, the L & H of Downing St., If leaving this fiasco was as dangerous
as these idiots are trying to make the easily led believe, why give a Referendum? Remember the promise from "Call me Dave",
if he couldn't get the deal he wanted he would lead the campaign to leave! Empty promises from a bunch of rich layabouts that
have never known a hungry day in their pampered lives. Always the same drivel from these Out of Touch Bastards, who earn Thousands
of pounds a week, telling some poor soul how to live on five.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:25 pm | Top

#24 by Paul Browning , Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:53 pm

I would be happy to pay any duty if it means we get out of this bloated gravy train for the unelected bureaucrats. I will be the first outside the polling booth to vote, the last time
I was just too young to vote or have an opinion on this, but I believe Enoch was right on this along with many other issues, which I now believe will influence the vote this time round more
than ever. Bring it on.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

Last edited 04.19.2016 | Top

#25 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:37 pm

I've been giving it careful thought while cutting the garden, I would think that Europe just might remain duty free, if we left, remember we
buy more from them than they do from us, probably because all our industries were sold on for short term gain. If I were on the
board of the OUT brigade, I'd take the leaflet page by page, accept their argument, then dissect it with facts, just to prove to the
population of this country that there is life beyond this Bargain Basement in Brussels, we gave Parliament to the World, but are happy
to surrender sovereignty to people we had to liberate 70 years ago. I still think of Britain as it was years ago, but it has been diluted
by imports and a generation that are not the sharpest in the box, so am prepared for the worst.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:38 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
R.I.P. John Bourne.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor