Dark Star 4x400ft Iver Feature.

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:59 pm

In a nut shell, One of the best "cheap n cheerful" sci-fi/comedy films ever.
We first picked up the 2 x 400ft double album of this film many years ago but i always wanted the full feature, one day here in Plymouth from our very own movieland international Roger rang me with a copy, £80. A bargain.
Being an Iver film we were half expecting this one to have started fading, what a great surprise to see that it's as good now as when we bought it.
I am sure many of you know the plot with the talking bomb that just wants to blow up after several malfunctions and of course that comical Alien which appears to be a beech ball with Webb feet, its got the right mix of science fiction and comedy and made on a budget of just $60.000 when John Carpenter and Dan O' Bannon were film students.
John Carpenter and Dan Bannon wrote the screenplay while film students at the University of Southern California. Six years later, the basic "Beachball with Claws" sub-plot of the film was reworked from comedy to horror, and became the basis (along with an unpublished story about gremlins aboard a B-17) for the O' Bannon-scripted science fiction horror classic, Alien.
The super 8 copy we have is very very good considering how old this must be now, there is no fade and colours are very vibrant, very few marks on this copy, the only bit of criticism i can come up with is that it isn't quite pin sharp, but it is far from soft, generally a good overall image. Sound is good, & through our old pioneer stereo amp the added bass gives the film so much more woomfff, especially those deep motor sounds as the bombs go in and out, the electric storm and the light speed sequence before the title, all sound so good with that volume cranked up.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen, David Ollerearnshaw, Paul Browning and Martin Dew

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

RE: Dark Star 4x400ft Iver Feature.

#2 by Paul Browning , Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:59 pm

Looks pretty good Tom, all things considered. It certainly has held up well, I don't have that many iver films may be just tommy a 400ft, will check that now to see how its held up
colour wise, and at £20 a reel damn good entertainment value.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:12 pm

That's a weird little film for sure :-) Wouldn't mind owning one on film too

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#4 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:29 pm

Thank you for posting this Tom! Very nice screenshots!

Timothy Duncan

#5 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:43 am

Nice one Tom. I have only seen a 400 foot version of this one of my favourite films.
I think it was the DFS version if my memory is right.

David Hardy

#6 by Tom Photiou , Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:35 pm

Hi David/Tim, thank you for your comments,
Derann did issue a 400 footer along with the Texas chainsaw, both these cut downs came with a free teaser trailer to.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

#7 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:56 pm

Great pics Tom from a great film, indeed when I first showed it to my mates, one of them said, as the opening logo is the
same as "Chain Saw" Bryanston, "It's bound to be good!", never were truer words uttered, a very clever film, great country & western
opening theme and a cool spaceship. The alien on board helped sire, along with other films, the screenplay for Alien, for O'Bannon, as you know.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#8 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:10 pm

Yes it is a "classic" film of its genre.

David Hardy

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:30 pm

Wonderful print Tom !!!

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock

Coal Black & De Sebben Dwarf's, 200ft Colour sound
Days of Steam/Days of Steam Collector's Magazine

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor