Yes Petunia, there is a Santa Claus....

#1 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:55 pm

It never fails to amuse me, looking at other peoples expectations when asking for prints etc, but not "silly money", what the hell
does that mean? So I'll sell you my print of Star Wars for £50.00, hope it ain't too much for you my 'ol son, oh, so you want free postage as well? Are these people of this world? Have they been in hibernation? Have they had a kick in the head? Film is an expensive commodity, strange how on one hand, we have a hopeful selling a 200' silent Castle film for $200.00, then another thinking a couple of
hundred euros is dear for a rare feature print in col/snd. Derann, ( can you hear the heavenly chorus at the mention of that hallowed name ) were selling prints priced like this twenty years ago, granted new, but strangely enough, they are as rare as rockin' horse shit lately, try buying a new print from Germany and see how far 500 euro goes. I know it isn't me, so it has got to be them, Champagne taste,.......Lemonade income. may I suggest another interest sir, like Stamp collecting or dirty books....

Hugh Thompson Scott

RE: Yes Petunia, there is a Santa Claus....

#2 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:54 pm

I agree with your sentiment as evidence of people selling 50',Super-8 shorts for $22-25 (USD) and up. Not sure how those figures come to be but the same ones selling high like that are most often the cheapskates when it comes to buying.I like a bargain as much as the nexy guy but don'y insult my intelligence by asking me to accept a best offer on a film I'm selling that is way lower than any sane person would sell it for.

Douglas Warren

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:32 pm

My income is Asti Spumante but I will always try and purchase the odd bottle of Don Perignon of the correct Vintage on special occasions!

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:32 pm | Top

#4 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:33 pm

Yes, fair enough Andrew, but we've all seen on various forums, someone comes on with a specific want/need, usually advertised
elsewhere, or on dealers lists, but not for them, they want it for next to nothing and no damage, signs of wear or in a film's case,
no scratches! I, like many others, have spent a bloody fortune on this hobby, I have advertised for film and paid what the person wanted,
I can't imagine an ad for my much pined for "Wicker Man" reigning in much interest if I added, must be excellent colour, IB Tech or Agfa,
no splices or scratches preferable and not "silly money", I'm sure they'd be falling over themselves to sell me one! I actually view these requests as cheeky, if its an item you want, you should be prepared to pay the going rate, I always have, as have other folk, this other
excuse "I'm only a poor student", oh yeah, well stick to your studies before taking up hobbies. Try walking into an Estate agents for a property in London, telling them what kind of playboy pad you want, but you don't want to pay "silly money".

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:36 pm | Top

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:40 pm

Yes, I agree Hugh, for the right prints I am seeking, there is no shortage of funds available from me now I have given up another mega expensive waste of money hobby of mine for more years than I care to admit to!.......Smoking 😁😁😁

As you say we have to be realistic with our demands nowadays given the age and scarcity of many prints. If you're looking for picture perfection on a budget, try Blu Ray!!

If you're looking for unique works of art on a real medium, just like the same on canvas, expect to pay a premium price for the best examples offered for sale.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:43 pm | Top

#6 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:42 pm

Well done that man.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#7 by Tom Photiou , Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:48 pm

Hugh, your right, its funny really as i am also guilty of saying "i wont pay scilly money", but here is what i mean & i think it applies to many of us.
Die hard, silence or any of the more later Derann features, i would pay 200-280, maybe 300 for a good one, thats what they seem to go for, BUT, if one came up on ebay i am not someone who will keep bidding just to be the winner, no matter the title or how much i want any feature i will certainly not entertain anything above 400. As for the ones that go for over a grand, well good luck to the seller, it maybe me selling one day and if someone wishes to pay that then so be it, that's human nature. Of course i am not alone in thinking what films i would buy should i ever become lucky on the lotto but fat chance of that. At the end of the day we have acquired over 400 titles of various lengths and at 54 now i am certainly not looking at doubling that figure. Its more quality than quantity now but i still sell to buy. My hobby has become self funding, i wish i did this years ago now.

Hey Andy, well done on the no smoking now, whatever you do, dont work out how much you spent on fags over the years otherwise you'll be thinking how you probably could have bought Deranns entire stock at the end Not too sure if people really want to go to blu-ray for budget, (but i must say i am more than happy with that "you know what" i bought from Mark on the other forum, i certainly wouldn't knock it),
I just think when films have start prices of 400 500 or more pounds it just gets ridiculous. Some of my very best films including Disney Derann features have cost us under 150 and not that long ago.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 04.12.2016 | Top

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:57 pm

You're right Tom, but that was then ...and this is now.

Andrew Woodcock

#9 by Tom Photiou , Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:23 pm

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#10 by Paul Browning , Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:04 pm

Oh dear Hugh that's a tough choice, er stamps or dirty books, either way something's getting licked................

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:18 pm

Nothing worth licking between the two though!

Andrew Woodcock

#12 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:12 am

Tom, you are not in the firing line, you are a collector of many years and know the score, no, its the people who fancy a dabble, "we found a box of my granddads films in the loft but no means to show them, anybody have a projector, but we don't want to spend too much", they are my hates, the buggers that suddenly materialise and try to de value everything, "Oh we wouldn't pay that for a film,
far too expensive," or " We couldn't justify paying that for a projector", the people who "dabble" or play at it, really annoy me, as do
some collectors who like some dealers like to sell dear but buy cheap, we all like a bargain, but there are times when the title you crave
carries a hefty price tag, as we all know, because we are not "dabblers".

Hugh Thompson Scott

#13 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:18 am

I agree with the comments on this topic.
I can also relate to certain collectors who want everything on the cheap.
Those guys always come up with some reasons for not spending a reasonable
amount on a print that is NOT definitely way over the top in asking price.
However I hate the excuses when they refuse to buy that most coveted print
they have harped on about for years offered at a reasonable price.
The most common excuse being..." I really cant afford it and don't want to pay that for it."
Then off they go down to the pub to blow their money on booze and/or cigs.
Of course they can afford it. Only thing is they cant sacrifice their desires for a
few pints of beer or whatever.
Stingy pretentious numpties.
Yep these folks are most definitely " playing at" being a FILM COLLECTOR.
Yet they have wasted money on booze and buying hundreds of Video Tapes and
Silver shiny discs over many years.
It kinda sorts out the sheep from the goats when it come to FILM COLLECTING ... Don't it ?
Film has always been an expensive medium and always will be.

David Hardy
Last edited Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:22 am | Top

#14 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:25 pm

The only time I ever have asked for a better price is when an eBay listing contains a 'BUY IT NOW' or 'BEST OFFER' option. Even then, my offer is only slightly lower than the asking price. I figure that the seller can either accept it, or reject it. Oft times, the other person simply wants to unload the item as they have no real use for it. If an asking price is through the roof, I just simply don't pursue the item as another one will come along (with some patience).

Timothy Duncan

#15 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:23 pm

Don't feel as though you're putting anyone out Tim, when they ask for best offer, these people are shifting goods, rapido, so if its
refused, try again. As for the tightwads and dabblers, there's one in search of a 'scope lens, but not silly money, yeah these lenses are
given free with Cornflakes, the tithead.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#16 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:28 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I am one of those cheapskates :-) Bought two scope lenses, great ones. I think I paid 30 dollars, but could be remembering wrong. But cheap they were. Saw them later on eBay for around 200 I think

It's one of these
Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-Rathen...QIAAOSwT6pVvxUl

The following contents have been linked to this post::

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

Last edited 04.13.2016 | Top

#17 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:44 pm

On the contrary Vidar, there is a difference between a bargain hunter and a pillock! We all dream of such good fortune, unlike
others that think it is their right. Well done though on picking those up. Those ancestors with the big boats, long hair and beards would be proud.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

#18 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:59 am

Yes Hugh there is a world of difference between a bargain hunter and a downright
stingy collector.
In so far as buying a scratched or very splicey print we are really buying a DAMAGED print and the
asking price should reflect this.
These days we should take film fade and VS into consideration too as damaged stock.
No point in forking out good money for damaged film regardless of its
alluded rarity.

David Hardy
Last edited Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:39 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Welcome Tom Groskopf

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor