Analogue Vs Digital.

#1 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:36 pm

I don't mean to start a debate on this forum regarding the differences between these two mediums.
However I would like to state FILM IS STILL KING . DIGITAL is crap.
For goodness sake they don't even give you " the original Mono soundtrack " option on those
bloody shiny things. Only remixed 5.1 sound or some other crap.
The Dr No Blu-Ray is a fine example of this mucking about. So much for restorations and remastering.
On another note ... CDs are shit ... VINYLs are GODS when done right and played back properly.
I WILL SHUT UP NOW !!! hahahahaha !!!!!

Vidar Olavesen likes this
David Hardy
Last edited Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:37 pm | Top

RE: Analogue Vs Digital.

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:51 pm

I love vinyl too David in preference to cd's.
Coupled with a decent set of hi fi equipment like a Linn Sondek for example, vinyl cannot be beaten in my opinion.

Now then onto the first point, I agree that the discs give you what the companies want to regarding the picture and sound versions, but what I will say is in most instances, I have found that when a film was originally made using a mono track, on all the older movies I have on both Blu Ray and DVD, the mono track has been included as a selectable option.

I feel the film companies HAVE to attempt to "modernize" even the oldest of classic films now on the shiny stuff, simply because modern younger audiences demand that Standard now. I agree though that these efforts to give old snap crackle and pop movies a 5.1 or even higher makeover, are futile given the source material.

Blu Ray for projection in the home as far as I am concerned, gives the most stunning picture quality imaginable in nearly all examples I have so far witnessed.
It's too perfect to ever be film like, but coupled with a very good projector, if ultimately it is about image quality, then this is it. It really can be breathtakingly good.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:52 pm | Top

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:53 pm

Still it has not the same resolution as film, those digital evil things. Even 4K isn't enough to compete with film, let alone 70mm which is probably waaaay higher than digital will be in a long time. Hope the world see the difference when seeing Tarantino's wonderful The Hateful Eight. It looks stunning

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:58 pm

No, on a bigger screen than the home can accept, things differ, but 10k is already with us and in the future, no doubt even 70mm resolution will be surpassed digitally.

I love film, but even film ultimately does have its limitations for both resolution and colour palette.
Eventually technology will go beyond these limitations whether we like this or not.

I don't have any issue embracing both. They both offer their own merits to me.

Nothing can match the buzz of screening real film though. It's such a tactile challenge.
Man and machine in perfect harmony when all is well.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Graham Sinden
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:01 pm | Top

#5 by Gwyn Morgan , Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:42 pm

I have watched this entry from a distance,but I agree withAndrew I too embrace all the formats.I am in what some might regard as a happy position,I still work in a projection box in a small art house cinema,to remain in that job I have had to learn all the new digital technology,but sitting alongside the digi projector is the 35mm Victoria just in case.As you may have seen from an earlier post I have recently shown 35mm at another location in Plymouth so it's not dead yet.
But at home I have my 16mm and 8mm set up and I have the shiney discs.I for one can't afford some of the asking prices for real film prints and also my tastes include obscure foreign thrillers and westerns which you never see on film.
On a recent trip to London I went to the Empire Leicster Square and saw Star Wars which was being shown using laser projection,the film was in 3D and I have to say in my opinion there was no loss of light as you get with 3D sometimes and quite frankly it was a dam good show with superb sound.obviously unless you live in London then you are out of luck with seeing this but it certainly puts a whole new perspective on going to to the cinema.
But just around the corner at the Price of Wales cinema was a sign outside advertising the return of 70mm and 35mm projection to that cinema with Lawrence of Arabia and others advertised,so there are places where for better or worse all "formats" are side by side.
Yes we few love our hobby and will do our best to keep it alive,but it is now really only a hobby the cinema has changed forever and like it or not if you work in it as I do I have to go with the flow as they say.
Food For Thought ...........📽📽📽📽📽

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#6 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:49 pm

Sorry guys I did not mean to open up this can of worms. BUT ...
Andrew I fully agree with you regarding the Blu-Ray picture quality on projection.
However its the very "limitations" of FILM that I prefer. So my preference is a
purely subjective and Aesthetic one. I prefer the LOOK of a good FILM PRINT.
I too use a LINN SONDEK among other for my analogue LP listening.
Although I have hundreds of CDs they just cant match the analogue natural
sound quality. CDs can be quite good at times but sound very clinical and
sterile. SACD does not do much better. They are for me the aural equivalent
of those DVDs and Blu-Rays we are not discussing at the moment.
Yes Vidar you are right there.

David Hardy

#7 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:15 pm

Gwyn ... I too am Cinema Projectionist by trade.
I am "old school traditional". I started in the days of carbon arcs and reel change-overs
and proper FILM PRESENTATION with screen tabs and stage and houselights and masking.
I worked right up to the coming of Digital and beyond. In fact I showed the first Digital
show to public here in Aberdeen Scotland.
I always disliked those bloody platters and long play film systems as they were tantamount
to a de-skilling process from a projectionist perspective and they were hugely exploitive of
the projection teams. By that I mean they allowed the Exhibitors to install more screens
for less wages.
DIGITAL has taken it to a logical conclusion ... Unmanned projection boxes.
You are indeed lucky to still be employed in the industry today.
As for me I could not get out of the box quick enough when redundancies came our way.
I don't miss it one bit.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
David Hardy

#8 by Gwyn Morgan , Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:34 pm

Yes David I to started with the carbon arcs change over every 15 to 20 mins even ten mins for kids shows,yes i do miss those days but i just like film in all its sorts and i do love the "mechanics" of it all,and I am quite happy to continue to show film as long as they will have me and pay me.I could not agree with you more that the industry as a whole has become very exploitive of its profesional staff and as such in the run of the mill multiplex there is no presentation and quite frankly sometimes its appalling,but what I was saying is that a few places are still using projectionists all be it not in the true original sense of the meaning.
There you go you certainly opened a can of something here,but long may reel film continue...........

Gwyn Morgan
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#9 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:23 pm

That was part of the magic. the marks on the right side of the screen. Then that magical beam of light jumped to another porthole.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#10 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:43 pm

Yes David that was indeed part of the magic. You just knew there was someone up there in the projection
box keeping the show going. We were "showmen" in those days. Although some were much better at it
than others. hahaha !!!

David Hardy

#11 by Mats Abelli , Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:11 pm

I remeber one of the worst projectionists. He mixed up the reels of "The wild bunch".

David Ollerearnshaw likes this

Mats Abelli
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#12 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:44 pm

I also think there is room for both mediums. I love the super 8mm hobby and that includes the getting a new film having to clean it before projection, running it through a projector seeing a little bit of grain (how it should be) etc etc etc. Now I also love blu ray through a video projector, the quality is amazing, It's a Mad Mad Mad World is by far the best I have seen yet on blu ray, closely followed by Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines and if you have ever seen a live concert on blu ray, one word "UNBELIEVABLE". So if you're like me, I'm a film fan and am so so lucky to be able to enjoy both formats.

Del Phillipson

#13 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:12 pm

I had this happen too, Mats. Mystic Pizza. It was quite messy :-) Got our money back though

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#14 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:25 pm

I am like Del, happy to embrace all formats, I only project film though, video tape in some respects is a more reliable format
than the dreaded disc, it doesn't skip, if recording, you can pause for advert gaps and I didn't get recorders that decided they
didn't like a particular tape, unlike my dvd recorders that at times will suddenly decide they will not play back a recording
just made on the same machine, film might have its faults, but is far more reliable.

David Ollerearnshaw likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

#15 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:45 pm

Hate having to sit though the crap on discs FBI at least with film you can cut it out.

My local doesn't have curtains now.

David Ollerearnshaw
ThankYou 61

#16 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:01 pm

That is so true David, nothing like the threat of a jail sentence or bankruptcy, maybe dismemberment if you even think of
watching something, I really hate the "You wouldn't steal a car" routine at the start, how do they know, such absurd assumptions,
one minute we are pirates who will be fined, then playing to the basic good in people, the Chinese have been doing it for years.
Someone ought to tell these duck eggs, or maybe they are a bit cautious of the Chinese, who obviously are crapping all over
themselves at these baseless threats. Can you imagine it, "Me no understandee lingo mister, you wanna buy some dvd cheap?"

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:07 pm | Top

#17 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:36 am

Hi there guys ... I agree there is room for both as both have their pros & cons.
However if forced to choose between visual/audio mediums I know what I would dump without
hesitation. DIGITAL !
As I say I have my reasons which are valid to me and justifies me to choose FILM.

Mats Abelli likes this
David Hardy

#18 by David Ollerearnshaw , Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:48 am

Quote: Mats Abelli wrote in post #11
I remeber one of the worst projectionists. He mixed up the reels of "The wild bunch".

Well he might have thought it OK just a wild bunch of reels/

Mats Abelli likes this

David Ollerearnshaw
ThankYou 61

#19 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:45 pm

David .. On the topic of showing wrong reels. I heard about one Projectionist who missed a reel
while showing GONE WITH THE WIND. Rumour has it that it contained a fair bit of the civil war battle
section. I cant verify this though but interesting as he got away with it.

David Hardy

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Welcome to all new members

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor