Lobby card for each movie

#1 by Eivind Mork , Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:34 am

I have started a little project: I try to get a lobby card for each feature film I own. As I have not collected too long, I own just 8 16mm movies and 3 Super 8 feature films (I have mostly cartoons and educational films otherwise), so I can find some space at a wall for this. I thought that could add an interesting dimension to the hobby, and when I want to see a movie, I can take a look at the wall to browse the movies I own. My 16mm films are stored in boxes under my bed, so it is not very practical to browse through. I know many collect lobby cards generally, but anyone else collecting lobby cards of the movies you own?

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

RE: Lobby card for each movie

#2 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:03 am

I have collection of "original " UK Quad film posters of films I own. GOLDFINGER and JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS for example.
I also have some original Front Of House stills.

David Hardy

#3 by Jonathan Trevithick ( deleted ) , Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:39 pm

I used to have about 400 UK quad cinema posters and masses of lobby cards and press stills. I sold off most of my collection when I emigrated.
Over the years, i've started to rebuild my collection with Australian,British and European lobby cards or posters. All of them relate to the films I have in one format or another.
Very few of them have any great value but I have decent Australian posters for Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge on the River Kwai and Young Frankenstein. I also have pretty much any poster and lobby card for all Monty Python films from most countries.

Jonathan Trevithick

#4 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:21 am

Hi Elvind! That's a great idea to display a lobby card for each film in your collection! I wouldn't have the room for it, much less my wife's approval, but that's a terrific addition to our hobby!

Timothy Duncan

#5 by Mats Abelli , Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:16 am

Hi guys! Good idea, but some are hard to find at all or at a reasonable price. I found a great substitute if you just want a print of the lobby card. If you put them in a frame it´s hard to see that it´s not the original.

http://lobbycards.tumblr.com/list

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#6 by Mats Abelli , Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:21 pm

Timothy! You could collect them in an album.

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#7 by Eivind Mork , Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:43 pm

I have a small collection. If it takes too much wall space, I will just put some of them in an album. Not a problem at the moment :-)

I haven't paid much for any of them. If they are too expensive I'll go for a reproduction. But I would rather choose an original although it might not be the most popular than have a reproduction.

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#8 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:53 pm

we have a few lobby cards to, some colour and b/w ones from the disney feature Robin Hood, a few excellent ones from The Trap among others.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#9 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:03 am

Mats, I just might do that!

Mats Abelli likes this
Timothy Duncan

#10 by Eivind Mork , Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:28 pm

The first lobby cards and magazine clippings arrived this week. I had bought a big frame beforehand. It didn't work out too well. It didn't have a clean white background, and the layout didn't work out too well. I have to buy more and smaller frames and rearrange them. But I really did like to have them on the wall. My better half even said I could add some more :-)

Mats Abelli likes this

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#11 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:45 pm

Thank you for sharing that Elvind!

Timothy Duncan

#12 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:32 pm

As I'm 'remodelling' downstairs I have decided one wall will be my poster/lobby card display wall. My idea is for posters to have the frame easy opening to change them, and the same for the cards.

For film labels I have made a few of my own labels using photo paper A4 is great for 600ft boxes and if you can print on A3 for 1200ft boxes.

Posters especially are works of art, some better than others of course.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#13 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:16 pm

I'd love an A3 printer for my 1200ft box art but then things would start taking over one quarter of the house I fear. Lol.

Andrew Woodcock

#14 by Tom Photiou , Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:30 am

I think i could get hooked here, lobby cards for my film room would be great, we already have some for The Trap and Disney's Robin Hood, so i will now start looking around for these.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#15 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:18 pm

Lovely artwork

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61