BLACK AND WHITE FILMS

#1 by Paul Barker , Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:06 am

being a collector of 16mm i mainly like B/W films. in fact i dont own any colour films in 16mm. i just love B/W .i love the old films.B westerns, gangster, drama,comedy etc. the older the better. i wondered if any other members had the same feeling for B/W as i do.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Paul Barker  
Paul Barker
Date registered 12.01.2015
ThankYou 45

RE: BLACK AND WHITE FILMS

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:19 am

I don't collect 16mm Paul, but I know David Guest on here shares much the same view as yourself for the gauge.

Is there a reason why B/ W is preferred for 16mm? Surely there are plenty of later LPP or IB Tech prints out there that still have beautiful colour?

I know also, that our one time moderator here, Mr Robert Crewsden, shared very much the same views also as yourself Paul regarding the affection for older films.
You and he would have been able to share many fond memories of such films I'm sure.

It's such a shame that Robert decided to move on from here but we very much hope for his return one day.
In this hobby, often people tire of it for a while but equally often they do return. It just gets in your blood so to speak!

We live in hope.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:24 pm | Top

#3 by Paul Barker , Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:23 pm

hi Andrew. no its just that i like films made in B/W. most of my all time favourite films were made in B/W. A KIND OF LOVING. SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY MORNING. BRIGHTON ROCK. IM ALRIGHT JACK. SCHOOL FOR SCOUNDRELS and FORMBY. WILL HAY. etc etc etc. the list goes on and on.

Paul Barker  
Paul Barker
Date registered 12.01.2015
ThankYou 45

Last edited 12.07.2015 | Top

#4 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:36 pm

Paul the majority of my favourite films are B/W. I try to collect them on B/W stock where possible.
I notice a couple of titles you mention there such as Saturday Night Sunday Morning and A Kind Of
Loving are among those favourites.

Paul Barker likes this
David Hardy
Last edited Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:36 pm | Top

#5 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:40 pm

I have some lovely prints on 16mm such as Whisky Galore , Great Expectations , The Smallest Show On Earth ,
Frankenstein , and others in my collection.
Black and White has a certain magic for me that Colour does not.

Paul Barker likes this
David Hardy
Last edited Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:41 pm | Top

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:45 pm

There are some truly fantastic films made in the b/ W era it has to be said.

Two of my favourites at this time of the year are "Wonderful life" and "A Christmas Carol".

They have a charm all of their own.

I am not so keen on some of the b/ W ones I've had on 8 that can be very dark though. Almost as though there may have been a printing error of some kind they are so dark in certain scenes.

Andrew Woodcock

#7 by Tom Photiou , Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:07 pm

Some of the best quality super 8s are in b/w and some of the best films were only ever in b/w,
The Elephant Man, Psycho, The longest Day, A Night to Remember the list is endless, and no colour fade

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 12.07.2015 | Top

#8 by Paul Browning , Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:37 pm

I would love a copy of School for scoundrels on super 8, but I don't think it was ever done in this guage, one of my favourite and underestimated comedy actors, Terry Thomas, he
plays a great part in this, and a film of two parts, as he gets his pay back from Ian Carmichael, with a great cast of British actors in fine form. The young of today would not entertain anything B/W as there not enough guns, bombs and murders with no CGI, just a good story to follow, if you bother to follow it. Night of the Demon would have been great on super 8
feature too with Dana Andrews, a great little late night chiller. Not big budget films, but still very well made, and entertaining.

David Ollerearnshaw likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Welcome Nigel!

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor