Old Technology ?

#1 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:36 pm

I just finished a debate with someone regarding film and film projectors. Of course I was in favour of film and putting forward my
points as to why we should keep them working for future generations to experience.
I was met with the response " Yes but film is an old technology anyway so its going to die and be forgotten over time. "
I replied " Oh Yeah ! Well the wheel is old technology and that is still with us is it not ? "
I rest my case. Some people eh !

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Mats Abelli
Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!
David Hardy

RE: Old Technology ?

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:45 pm

Well said, David :-)

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#3 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:47 pm

Absolutely David, well said, what a lot of people don't seem to realise is that the master source is film, "old technology" that the
releasing companies have to return to, to use for the unmentionable releases, sometimes even 16mm in some cases. The release
of "Planet of Dinosaurs", had to use the only existing print, which was the Directors 16mm copy.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#4 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:57 pm

Yes guys those same people try to deny the fact that even todays movies are still being stored and archived on Film Negative
stock because the unmentionables storage files go corrupt and constantly need to be "updated" at great expense and will not
last as long as film stock will. Its they who have their heads in the sand I think.

Mats Abelli likes this
David Hardy
Last edited Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:57 pm | Top

#5 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:01 pm

I don't think I have mentioned this before, but it's been reported that sales of vinyl records are at a 20 year high. Last week I was in Leamington Spa, and a privately own record shop had a large selection of brand new vinyl albums, as well as reissues of classic albums from the 60s. They were also selling portable record players starting at only £75. Next time someone says Digital is better than film, ask them 'what is the original source for this DVD?'.

Robert Crewdson

#6 by Tom Photiou , Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:05 pm

Let me tell you all something on this subject
A good topic this for today, here's why, I have worked in the same place as another colleague for over 28 years, over those years i have stayed 100% cine while my mate had kept up with all the technologies including laser disc's, remember those, they were going to be the in thing,along with VHS, betamax, DVD and now blu-ray which has not taken off already redundent because of the looming 4K.
Of late i chat to him and explain to him how my old films are very old technology but still take off the roof with quality, how i can put a super 8 film on any super 8 projector around the world and it will work, no region codes here, i recently added a top range projector for a few hundred quid, yet today in order for him to get rid of his laser discs,& they look new, he looks after everything, he is having to give them away because no one wants to buy them, they are worthless, even on e-bay.
so in very harsh terms to the twats who go on about our old technology answer this, how come they are still going so strong after decades, how come our films are going through the roof in value whilst there crappy technology ends up a few years later in boot sales for next to nothing, and still no one buys them, all those people who bought films on VHS, then again on laser discs, then again on DVD and some replacing them on blu-ray soon to have to do it all again on 4K then 10k and so on and so on.
Yes our technology is old, but the magic of a film show complete with projector and a few marks here and there wins hands down on new stuff built to be superseded within a few years in order to keep the rip off company's in business. You dont get DVD conventions do you?
Whenever i do a kids film show it guarantees there good behaviour as they watch the big screen in awe. Our projectors are all good for years to come and so are most of the movies.
So tell them to stick that in there pipe and smoke it!

Mats Abelli likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

#7 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:15 pm

Now for some shocking news ... VHS is a huge seller here in Norway at least. Laser Discs are going for about 2-3 GBP too. Just a year or two ago, you couldn't give away VHS's, just had to bin them. It's turned a bit now and DVD's and Blu-Rays are the worthless medias. But for me, I rather see film, but there's collectors for all out there. Not seen much to beat any of my 35mm. 16mm is sometimes looking less sharp, but a good 16mm is absolutely gorgeous. Even my Super 8 of The Adventures of Robin Hood looks better than most unmentionables (I know, I know, I mentioned them earlier in the post, but I feel better now)

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#8 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:16 pm

What wonderful comments Tom. I never considered DVDs to have any value, and would't want to pay much above a tenner: they usually end up in charity shops at £1 each. Talking of old technology David, I have a single sided 78 of Harry Lauder from1907.

Robert Crewdson

#9 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:48 pm

I have to smile at Vidar and having to give in and mention his nemesis DVD, it reminded me of the "Yes, No Interlude" on "Take Your Pick"
a British TV Game show where part of the show had contestants interviewed by the Quizmaster, Michael Miles, but had to answer questions without using the words Yes or No, poor Vidar put up a valiant fight, but had to concede defeat.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
ANONYMOUS AUTHOR OF ARTICLE

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor