RE: Film Condition

#26 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:08 pm

Here's mine um, 0 or is 10, it might be o-i, wish I would have sent it to you sooner Hugh.

Steve Carter

#27 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:23 pm

See what I mean Steve, its even more advanced than we thought, I urge you all now, get your numbers in quick while there's still
time, my flight is waiting.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#28 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:05 pm

As we get older our eyesight starts to fail, and we lose muscle tone, making it harder to man handle those heavy projectors. If it ever gets too much for you Hugh, I am sure some here would be happy to relieve you of your burden; I am sure Vidar would be happy to play the Good Samaritan, and take 'The Thing' off your hands. It's times like that when you will find out who your real friends are.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Robert Crewdson

#29 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:28 pm

How very true Robert, if Vidar got wind of me "pegging out", he would be knocking together a boat and turning the tide into a froth with
his paddling, yes we have experienced the little Raiders from the North before in these parts. I'll bet he has an outfit too. Vidar the Viking.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

#30 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:49 pm

Ha, ha! My viking costume is sweat pants and T-shirts with some film related thing on :-)

I'd hate to see anyone leaving, especially Hugh. Stay in there forever man, you know you'll regret it later, so why risk anything. But I drool alot for that The Thing print :-) (Flooding in Norway comes from this I think)

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

Last edited 10.02.2015 | Top

#31 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:14 pm

Seriously though, we don't know what is going to happen to us; my wife works with dementia cases every day. I would hate to have to part with my collection, so as long as I have my faculties, and can carry a projector, I shall keep watching films.

Clyde Miles likes this
Robert Crewdson

#32 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:23 pm

I need to get someone to handle the collection when I am done, either from death or inability to use it snymore. Told my wife I come haunting her if she throw it all. Hope I can find someone that would help her sell it for a reasonable price.

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#33 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:26 pm

Hopefully that's a long time in the future for all of us Vidar.

Robert Crewdson

#34 by Clyde Miles , Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:24 pm

want to thank publicly robert crewdson for sending me, free of charge, the missing footage for my feature 'land without music'. the title card was gone, which i knew when i purchased the print, but being able to add it back is almost like completing a missing jigsaw piece. print is now complete and i am well chuffed.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Mats Abelli

Clyde Miles
Date registered 08.09.2015
home: bromsgrove, worcs, uk
ThankYou 19

#35 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:27 pm

Robert is the salt of the earth, very kind, and a fine addition to any forum.

The following members like this: Clyde Miles and Mats Abelli
Hugh Thompson Scott

#36 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:32 pm

Second that. Very nice to hear prints being complete :-) I am hoping the Odd Reel Central would be of help, but it needs all of us to enter what we got. I am a slow person myself and need to add some odd reels that lies about. I assume most are subtitled, but I'd settle for anything to complete a print

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#37 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:37 pm

Very pleased that I was able to help you Clyde: what are the chances of coming up with something like that again. Hugh Scott has been an enormous help to me in the past, and now it was my chance to help someone. Interested to know Clyde, if you can date the film I sent, I know your copy was 1942.

Robert Crewdson

#38 by Clyde Miles , Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:47 pm

yes robert, i did look but the symbols are very fuzzy. i need to get my super duper magnifying glass on it. will let you know
asap. this is the first print i have ever been able to replace the missing title, like you said what are the chances of that
happening!

Clyde Miles
ThankYou 19

#39 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:08 pm

I have a few films I can't date, one is B&W and says Eastman safety Film, another two are Kodak, and all I can find are the number 15, no symbols. I must tell you this story Clyde. In the 70s I had a friend who worked for Royal Mail; he was a Tauber fanatic. One day he told me that he had found Tauber's widow (Diana Napier Tauber) through the Electoral Register, and called on her uninvited. She let him come into the house and offered him tea. I asked him if he had mentioned the Super 8 copy of 'Land without Music ' that he had from DCR Films. He told me that she said she had a copy of every one of her husbands films except for that one.

Robert Crewdson

#40 by Clyde Miles , Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:43 pm

great story robert, thank you for sharing that with us.

Clyde Miles
ThankYou 19

#41 by Tom Photiou , Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:33 pm

I think everyone strives for the best possible possible print. Over the 35 years or so we have had many films that have had to be returned to dealers selling them as good when they were scratched or had trashy sound and picture.
I personally hate poor sound, green tram scratches and dozens of splices. these are unacceptable. no point in watching these.
Having said all that today a few light scratches to far side are usually made near invisible with a good cleaner so i dont mind this, i like good strong colours but again, bearing in mind how old films are, very slight fade is OK. I'm fussy when it comes to sharpness but cine films on 8 are often ever so slightly soft, namely MGM cut downs.
I would say generally most of our films are of good/very good to excellent quality.
If people insist on 100% colour sound and mark free i think you're in the wrong hobby, & maybe digital is for you.
Cine films are by their very nature going to have some marks somewhere. Thats the look of film, i once did a film show for a load of kids, one of the parents was fascinated that cine was still alive and commented on how you can see its real film, he said digital stuff is good but too clinically clean and isn't the same. I think that sums it up well.

Clyde Miles likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#42 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:40 pm

Bang on Tom and for me, I really don't mind any level of fade so long as the print isn't beetroot. Obviously it's not as good as you'd like but if we are to be interested in film for much longer, it's something we will all have to learn to tolerate more and more.

I just really like film projectors, simple as that. I'd hate to not want to use one anymore just because a film has lost some of its colour. There are just too many really good titles that didn't make 82 film stock for these to be ignored or overlooked.

Clyde Miles likes this
Andrew Woodcock

#43 by Tom Photiou , Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:49 pm

mind you one way of ensuring great quality other than agfa or LPP is a good b/w print.
I think these are better than many colour prints. We have many of these and one that stands out for me is our feature of the Jerry Lewis viacom print of Don't give up the ship, its a really good clear print with top sound. Oh and also the 400 footer of Psycho, this was one of universals best, (pity it wasnt a 2 x 400).

Clyde Miles likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#44 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:36 pm

I got my print of Psycho just a few weeks back from Barry on here.
I'd waited a very long time to ever find one.

Andrew Woodcock

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
my test results.track 1/2

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor