RE: What happened to good old fashioned customer service?

#76 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:13 pm

Just like in any walk of life. You should be able to have differences in opinions without any talk of falling out in my book.

Surely that's what separates civilised adult human beings from Children and petty politicians

Andrew Woodcock

#77 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:17 pm

Yes Andrew but I do not make things up never have, I say it as it is, if you read my previous post about what went down.

Steve Carter

#78 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:20 pm

Very true Andrew, but facts speak for themselves, I thank "The Little Mermaid", as while searching for a review, here's some newsletters I
hadn't chucked out, fortune was smiling on me for once. Just backing up Steve, he did say he was going to destroy it and record the incident, a lot of thanks for Bill Parsons hard work in restoring it.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:40 pm | Top

#79 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:42 pm

I do not like it being insinuated that post's are of Mills and Boon, I don't make up stories, after all what's in it for me?, I don't know the person I can only go by my own contact and how it panned out. I just thought I had first hand knowledge of the situation and could tell it as it was, obviously not. Sometimes facts are more bizarre than Mills and Boon.

Steve Carter

#80 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:44 pm

None of us want to get involved in arguments, just telling it as it was. I was alerted to this story in Dan Lail's forum 8mm Worldwide. His post, plus David's original in 8mm Film Tech will still be there for anyone to read.

Would be nice if David decided to stay and maybe we could all benefit from his being here.

Robert Crewdson

#81 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:47 pm

Don't worry about it Steve, we all know what happened, somebody threatening to film themselves smashing a projector is not something you forget.

Robert Crewdson

#82 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:48 pm

I agree Robert, but we aren't all suffering from delusions, facts are facts and the truth needs no defence. It would seem that when questions are asked, people are blocked, he had his say, then disappears into the ether, he can read for himself, its an open forum.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#83 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:55 pm

Might be better if we had the facility like other forums where you apply for membership, then have to wait for Admin approval. No one on here has anything to apologise for we only told the truth.

Robert Crewdson

#84 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:47 pm

Even with that facility in place Robert, would anyone like to turn away a fellow film lover let alone an event organiser?
I know I certainly wouldn't.
I am hoping that all those who join us here, stay for good just as I always like to see the numbers swell on film tech.
It is healthy for the hobby and widens everyone's knowledge the more that share their film collecting experiences on these forums.

Anyhow, time to move on I'd say. Did you manage to unearth anything Hugh from searching about "Mermaid" release?

I think the problem with trying to find this kind of information out is that when Keith Wilton reviewed the print when first released they were the first batch produced so they were known to have soft focus issues.

I don't know if a different later negative was ever obtained from the Disney vaults to improve subsequent batches but it would be nice to find out one way or the other.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:37 pm | Top

#85 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:37 am

Hi Andrew, I have trawled through FFTC mags, I packed in the subs in 2011 and can't find any mention of that film review. I wonder if
there might be something on Keith's site, I am sure I saw something on there about film reviews, didn't it appear on the 8mm scene around '96/97? I have even looked in the previous years mags, and they go back to '85, to no avail.
I wonder if it was missed on purpose, fearing collectors might not want it if not perfect, although the feature "7th Voyage of Sinbad"
had a few blemishes, nothing that was too serious, but it was mentioned on the lists at the time.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:38 am | Top

#86 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:45 am

Thanks Hugh, I will take a look at the ones I have and it will give us all an opportunity to catch up with some of the fabulous articles and reviews from them even if I unearth nothing.

I am sure I've read something somewhere on it. It was big news at the time as it was the first full feature of Disney's to be released by Derann. Soon shortly after came the 600ft mini feature Mickeys Christmas Carol.

I know,I have the catalogue that this first appeared in but then this would just be advertising it, not giving it a review etc.

I can't remember too many features anyhow that ever received much critical acclaim. Most scored A or -A for picture and Sound regardless.

Andrew Woodcock

#87 by Dave Alligan , Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:51 am

When the Little Mermaid first came out it had a blueish tint to it, this was down to the negative that Disney made. Derek had to go back to Disney and explain about the negative and eventually a new neg was made thanks to Derann but the original batch of Little Mermaids were not very good.

Just as an add on when the feature was first released Derann printed some little mermaid trailers, when Disney got to hear about it they were not very pleased as this was not part of the original contract and Derann had to stop immediately.

Dave Alligan  
Dave Alligan
Date registered 09.23.2015
home: Felixstowe
ThankYou 11

#88 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:57 am

Hi Andrew, when I joined 8mm Film Tech, 8mm Worldwide, Jubilee Regal, and I think Small Format Film Forum, I had to wait for Admin approval and a password. I only mentioned this because there are one or two known troublemakers in Doug's forum. All we could do would be to remove them if they come here and try to disrupt any threads.

Robert Crewdson

#89 by Dave Alligan , Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:12 pm

Sorry if my comments came in the middle of another discussion didn't read all of the thread, I have had dealings with Mr Guest and will never deal with him ever again.

Dave Alligan  
Dave Alligan
Date registered 09.23.2015
home: Felixstowe
ThankYou 11

#90 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:22 pm

Nothing to apologise for Dave, just an experience logged with Arthur Daley, minus the charm.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#91 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:26 pm

Just to go back to Andrew, luckily I double checked Andrew, the review was done in issue 23 in 1992 of FFTC, it was reviewed
by John Kane, who awarded it A for print & sound. If you let me know your email address through private messages, I can send a scan.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#92 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:52 pm

Thank you so much Hugh and Dave for the excellent informative explanation. Much appreciated all and I have sent you my mail address thanks Hugh.

Andrew Woodcock

#93 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:54 pm

Thank you so much Hugh and Dave for the excellent informative explanation. Much appreciated all and I have sent you my mail address thanks Hugh.

Andrew Woodcock

#94 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:38 pm

No probs Andrew, scans sent, glad to help.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#95 by David Ollerearnshaw , Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:23 pm

Hugh, you got my curiosity going so I wrote to him, this is the reply:

Dear David,

Many thanks for getting in touch with Grant. After speaking to him about this he's asked me to reply on his behalf.

Yes - that is correct - Tony and Beryl are Grant's parents.

With kind regards

Nicholas

Nicholas Langley
Office of The Rt Hon Grant Shapps MP
Welwyn Hatfield

House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA

Now can we get him to do an early day motion banning digital projection All cinemas must use film.

Vidar Olavesen likes this

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#96 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:27 pm

If that happens, I spend money to watch film at the cinema. If only dreams came true

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Blackpool

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor