RE: What happened to good old fashioned customer service?

#51 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:37 pm

Are we talking about the ST-1200HD MO? If so, I am very happy with it. It cost abour 200 GBP plus around 30 for shipping. Fair price for me. And it was less noisy than the other ST's I have. Cleaned and fixed by Mr. Parsons dab hands.

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#52 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:42 pm

Mr Guest in my humble opinion, must be the most non diplomatic event organiser in history!

How can you promote a FILM convention, be in charge of one, liaise with customers and sellers at these events.....then, as Hugh quite rightly points out, scorn on the most popular collected gauge and give IT and it's collectors a complete lack of respect??????????????????

I am simply flabbergasted!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried to contact David regarding the illusive film list,
All to completely no avail????
I have asked him many many questions in the past surrounding his sales on the other forum and never get a straight answer or worse still, no answer at all!!
I can't imagine any reason whatsoever why anyone would ever inconvenience themselves by going to such an event knowing the overall attitude of the event organiser unless you are a 16mm collector.

I live relatively locally to these events but am more than happy to say that I would never ever waste my time, money or efforts in the future attending one of these events due to recent revelations and experiences.

How can a film lover talk of smashing up a piece of perfectly serviceable equipment??????? I am gobsmacked, completely jaw droppingly gobsmacked!!!!

Lucky you stepped in Vidar and rescued the Elmo, otherwise it may well have been video'd landfill by now!!!!!!

Bill spends all his time and efforts using his wonderfully skilled aging anatomy preserving this machine only for someone wanting to smash it in pieces and video it???
What's all that about?????

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:59 pm | Top

#53 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:08 pm

I don't want anyone to "like" this statement because I certainly do not like saying it. I so wish I was reporting on matters being totally the opposite.

I am appalled by this public show of irrational behaviour by an event organiser.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:00 pm | Top

#54 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:10 pm

I liked what you said about a true film lover would NEVER EVER break a functioning projector, even if it's a gauge one not collects themselves. Give it away to someone who wants it instead.

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#55 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:14 pm

But equally Vidar, surely to be an event organiser, you must show respect and compassion to all of the film gauges in the manner someone like Paul Foster does when you visit his vast empire of film and projection equipment?

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:18 pm | Top

#56 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:24 pm

For sure, all gauges are equally valued for me. I agree with you on some of those comments. I didn't read them myself, only seen what you written here. To put it like this, if there was no Super 8 in Blackpool, I'd never go again (16mm, love it, but it's not something you easily bring home on a plane)

I know I can't do Blackpool this year, hopefully I can attend Ealing again. Also want to join our other Norwegians for a Cleethorpes trip in August. Crossing my fingers for economy to change and the health

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#57 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:25 pm

I agree with everything you said Andrew, I can't understand why a film lover would post about videoing himself smashing it up with a hammer. I also don't like someone advertising a projector for sale and adding 'If it doesn't sell then it goes to the landfill'. Why not advertise it on Preloved or some other site, free, collection only.. He was brought up in a house with 16mm. When I came into the hobby, Standard 8 was being phased out, and 16mm was too expensive. Super 8 is probably the most popular guage ever, and has done a lot for home movie interest. This is where the money is to be found. He should have sent the list out, not everyone can attend Blackpool. People who fly in from abroad don't seem to understand how difficult it can be, especially if you live in some remote part of Britain.

Robert Crewdson

#58 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:51 pm

I actually think that David has made the right decision here in taking the films to his event.

I am certain that if they prove to be quality well preserved titles, there will be a frenzy of interest at his event and numbers in the future will soar at this event.

However, I also think that if the event does indeed go from strength to strength as a direct result of having top films offered for sale at this event. Then perhaps while ever David cannot appreciate all of the different film gauges and their collectors needs, then perhaps he ought to partner up with at least one other organiser in order to cater well for ALL collectors on the most popular gauge of them all as well as some of the less popular gauges like 9.5 for example.

Someone like Lee Mannering would work well I think. He has a vast knowledge on all things 8mm and lives quite local to David and the event.

I agree also Robert, that a list could and should have been posted on the forum no matter how the films are intended for sale.
A good friend of mine from the other forum, a Mr Alan Rik, did ask publicly for one to be posted, but once again, was completely ignored apparently as were people's e mails on this seemingly.

It couldn't have done any harm to have posted a list and would surely have meant the interest would have increased leading up to the event if the 200 features are decent titles and in decent condition.

I guess we will never know now, well certainly I wont sadly.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:49 pm | Top

#59 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:50 pm

He doesn't like Super 8, but will gladly take YOUR MONEY for it.

Steve Carter

#60 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:53 pm

The thing I don't,and probably never will understand, is how you can like one gauge of film but not another.

I only collect Super 8mm but that is only due to physical restraints. I love all film as I'd expect most film lovers would?

Super 8mm can look magnificent on even the largest of screens as John Clancy and Keith Wilton at the BFCC have proven over the years

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:56 pm | Top

#61 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:01 pm

I like to sound of any film in the gate, the dancing beam from the lamp, sometimes I like these more than the film I am watching.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Mats Abelli
Steve Carter

#62 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:39 pm

I seem to remember a time when Dave Guest was in competition with Derann over the date of the November convention, when two
conventions were clashing, but he refused to move his, seems like a reasonable guy I don't think, considering DFS had been running the Blackpool Bash for a number of years. His decision to keep his list close to his chest, after dangling the carrot, then choosing not to sell
just makes me think that as far as I'm concerned 'ol son, you can shove 'em where the sun don't shine, no doubt he'll be putting a list up of whats left after his bunfight, I hope he grows old with them.

David Ollerearnshaw likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:40 pm | Top

#63 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:42 pm

My only experience of seeing Super 8 on a full size cinema screen was during a specially organised visit to Pinewood. The organizers showed Disney's 'Mickey's Trailer' and a digest of Easter Parade. I was amazed that Super 8 could be projected to that size, it was perfect. They were using one of the latest high priced lenses to show it.

Robert Crewdson

#64 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:47 pm

Not even two of the better S8 prints either Robert.

I can only imagine just how two of the best I ever seen would look on that huge screen using a Beaulieu HTI!

1/ Mickeys Christmas Carol
2/ Madagascar Penguins Christmas Capers.

Two of THE sharpest and very best prints I have ever seen on eight!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:49 pm | Top

#65 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:14 pm

All I can remember Andrew, is that 'Mickey's Trailer' was a brand new release, not sure about 'Easter Parade', I remember the extract was Judy Garland and Fred Astaire singing 'We're a couple of Swells'. The organisers had two coaches, and the idea was that you would buy copies of the prints and the lens. I know they showed it on a Noris projector, not sure if the lens was only for Noris or others. The lens was around £90, and would be advertised in Movie Maker at that time. I couldn't get an image like that with my Eumig, the lens is not the best, doesn't have corner to corner sharpness. It showed what Super 8 was capable of. The prints that I were buying in the 70s probably leave a lot to be desired compared to what was coming out before Derann ceased.

Robert Crewdson

#66 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:02 pm

I hope your health is better Vidar and your goodself and friends can make the trip to Cleethorpes to visit Phil and his new shop,
I'd just mention to him that you had to come in person to buy some film 'cos you couldn't get a postage quote, that should bring a smile to his little face, but just to be safe, keep the door ajar for an exit stage left.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:03 pm | Top

#67 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:51 am

87237 vs 8533 says i'm right on this one!!
16mm has less than 10% of the same figure in comparison with that on Super 8mm posts.

Like I said, it is not a competition, I simply adore real film whatever the guage, but how can you possibly ignore or dismiss super 8mm based on these figures of genuine popularity. It simply makes no sense, financially or otherwise if you are a dealer!!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:58 am | Top

#68 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:31 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Well when I first showed interest in 'THE' projector I was told another 'guy' had offered 'X' amount for it, this was the first time around, but as I was the first to show interest I could have it for the price the guy had offered, I said you better let him have it, of course there was no other buyer, as it went on ebay another 2 times, that's 3 times on ebay. The second time it was on ebay I offered a price, and If I remember correctly quibbled over a fiver or so, I was then told it's back on ebay now at a starting price of £299, it was starting at £199 before this, I was then told if it don't sell or if I don't buy it, he would take it to the Blackpool event and smash it up with a hammer, question so why quibble over a fiver or so if it has no worth to your-self and you would rather smash it up, in that scenario I would think any monies was better than none.

Steve Carter

#69 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:37 pm

I remember him boasting about a projector that didn't sell, then he increases the price and it's sold.

Robert Crewdson

#70 by Dave Guest , Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:23 pm

wel well well what wonderfull comments you have all made never got this many when I appeared in the royal, heartbead last of the summer wine
as for the mills and booms author who mentions blackpool load of rubbish ,I took over blackpool in march when Derek packed it in as other collectors asked me to organise it has it would be a shame to lose so I did .it ran for about 4 or 5 years then I decided to call it a day as interest was lost in march .years later after Derek had died derann cancelled blackpool in nov only weeks before it was due to happen I contacted Adrian and asked why and he told me .I then asked have you any objections to me taking it over he said no go for it so I did .he then gave me all the dealers contact numbers and I phoned them all and they came to blackpool ..some dealers actually turned up for deranns do in nov and I had to accomadate them , as they were not informed .
re super films at blackpool
there were plenty of super 8 films their last year and even more this year
chc will be in attendance plus a lot more dealers selling super 8 I myself will be selling super 8 as well
there were over 200 super films changed hands on the bring and buy and over 200 in the auction
re the collection that came with the 16mm films I bought recently I did intend to reply to forum members ,but due to questions being asked are they this or they that it was very time consuming to check all the prints I have no super 8 projector so I sent 50 of the titles to a friend of mine to check and he told me they were all stunning prints which I knew they would be .I then decided to sell on a few on ebay I have sold over 50 to my personal friends who collect super 8 some I am going to keep as these titles are very very rare .the others whats left will be sold at blackpool from when I arrive on Friday to first come first served I did have some pesonsal collections that came to my home and bought some .when I buy collections I pay the most money than anyone as collectors have told me what other dealers have offered them that's why I always end up with them .when buying collections I look at the titles to see if they are of interest and if so I make a offer as it would take weeks to view a collection and most collectors want their money straight away
re elmo vidar stated on here its the best elmo he has ever owned
I did advertise it on ebay and it devolped a fault so a decision had to be made scrap it or get bill to overhall it so that's what I did and there was no expenses spared. then I got all the nit pickers is it this is it that when I clearly stated it had been overhauled by bill .you all go on about the hobby and say how good super 8 is then when I sell a projector serviced by bill you don't show any interest and let things like this go buy .I am pleased vidar bought it it will last him many years
re my film fair I do my best at blackpool lots of people make comments about blackpool but never come their loss .there will plenty for everyone this year with lots of surprises .I do get some wonderfull comments of 98% of the people that go and I am pleased to hear them if you lot on here can do any better have a go your self
I will not be posting any more comments on here thank you all david guest
blackpool northwest film fair imitated by many surpassed by none
just one more thing I am pleased I have kept 50 of the super 8 features I only wish I had them on 16mm I do like all gauges but I like 16mm the best and when the time comes I will sell them to my personal friends who know what they are and I know they will be well looked after
re Robert wanting a 2300 spool if you would have contacted me I would have give you one and only charged you the postage

Dave Guest
Date registered 09.28.2015
home: lancashire
ThankYou 69

#71 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:49 pm

I was afraid if this when I read some comments earlier. I hoped for all to be friends, but we all have our opinions. I have had no problems with Mr. Guest, but if it is true that the projector would be scrapped while filming it, that I could never support. If I had a projector, I rather give it away for shipping costs or pick up free.

Sorry Mr. Guest that you give us up, would be nice if we all could talk politely about it. Maybe not possible to all be friends, but that's my hope.

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#72 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:59 pm

Some good points raised there David but as far as the Elmo was concerned, I had no idea from reading the forum that it had somehow developed a fault? I just remember seeing that it had been serviced by Bill not repaired.

I apologize if I have misread that forum posting. Also, it did sell thankfully to Vidar who, as you quite correctly point out, is very satisfied with it after Bill had sprinkled some of his magic touches over it.

I understand why you offer the films to your personal friend first but as said, these film conventions are crying out for later LPP Super 8mm titles.
The interest any of these type of films generates would be phenomenal.

It is precisely what's missing since Derann sadly closed its doors for the last time

Also, I really don't understand why you wouldn't want to stay on board here and indeed on all of the forums to plug your event. These forums plus the BFCC Facebook page would surely work to your advantage in getting bodies into the event as well as keeping people highly informed on table numbers, dealers attending etc etc.

We do have members here who do not join other forums so it would be very good for them also.

I hope you decide differently and stay as a member David .
I think all our remaining dealers and organizers should post on these places to keep everyone informed and spark newcomers interest.

As Vidar points out, collectors like myself can never be happy with talk of sabotaging a perfectly useful super 8 projector .
I am sure you can understand why that kind of talk would not be received well by any Super 8 enthusiast.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:26 pm | Top

#73 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:01 pm

I have invited most of them to join, but sadly not all has done so.

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#74 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:09 pm

Mills & Boon author here, I don't want to cause aggro here, so I'll leave the last word to the late Derek Simmonds from the September 2000 Newsletter from Derann , "I understand that leaflets have been distributed announcing a Film Convention at The Savoy Hotel, Blackpool.
I WISH TO MAKE IT PERFECTLY CLEAR THAT THIS CONVENTION HAS NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH US AT DERANN, WE SHALL NOT BE HAVING TABLES THERE AND ITS NOT A DERANN CONVENTION. Derek's capitals, Doesn't sound so friendly to me. I rest my case.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#75 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:13 pm

The 3 times it was advertised on ebay, he already had Bill overhaul it, it was used as a selling point that Bill had overhauled the machine even after the overhaul and just before it was sold he was going to smash it, selective memory

Steve Carter

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Blackpool

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor