Oh, my ... The other forums been Hi-Yak'ed

#1 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:32 pm

General Yak is now the most used thread in the 8mm forum. And saying, without digital there wouldn't be any talk on any forum. How blind can one get? What's the point of a dedicated forum then?

Hope we all stay on here and talk film, which is what we love and our forum is for.

Big thank you for all that contribute

Mats Abelli likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

RE: Oh, my ... The other forums been Hi-Yak'ed

#2 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:04 pm

They have moved from their original purpose, a group of cine enthusiasts with varying degrees of knowledge helping one another answer questions like 'Where can I get my 8mm projector repaired', 'Who sells bulbs', Does anyone have a copy of a manual?'. The forums were necessary when informative magazines such as 'Film Making' and 'Movie Maker' had disappeared from the High Street newsagents.
Now the talk is mostly about digital projection and what boxed sets are available to buy on Amazon. What was odd was that with the exception of our member Andrew Woodcock, the other forum members couldn't see what the problem was. Most of them still don't seem to grasp that we don't remain with film through ignorance; I doubt there is anyone who doesn't own a DVD and is well aware of quality, they take up less space for storage, and are relatively cheap to buy. So no one can tell us anything we don't already know. We remain with film because we love it.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Mats Abelli
Robert Crewdson

#3 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:28 pm

I expect many of you feel the same as I do, that we will keep our films until we die. If I want to watch a movie in another format, the TV will do for me.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Robert Crewdson

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:25 pm

I find it ironic that I am the bad guy on the 8mm forum, defending film on a film forum. Who do I think I am?

Tired of a few people there now

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#5 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:37 pm

This hobby has become an addiction. I was going to be a good boy (at my wife's request) and not buy anything for awhile. That lasted a whole month! I have one reel on the way and have a bid on another. I haven't cared about buying too much in the unmentionable format in favor of the mentionable format. I'm glad for you guys' love of film and mission to keep the forum pure. I always had a feeling Vidar was a 'good guy', although I never spoke directly to him much on the unmentionable forum. You can get a feel for a person in their writings (at least I can). Out of the heart, the mouth speaks. Anyways, I'll do my best going forward not to get off film topics, but getting to know you guys in a personal way is cool with me too!

Timothy Duncan

#6 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:40 pm

Some of these people are now projecting digitally about 50% of the time, but when questioned will tell you they are still committed to film; I didn't know there were different degrees of commitment. If they are committed to film, then how would we be described who have not gone with the flow?

I could see the comments were starting to get nasty; when this particular person joins in the conversation it always goes in the same direction. In a forum you should be able to debate matters in a friendly fashion, but with some, if you differ in their views then they go on the attack. You have joined the ranks of the bad boys; and if Mr K learns that you are friends with Hugh and myself he will be demanding your resignation. So much for the recent claims that that forum is a band of brothers helping everyone.

Robert Crewdson

#7 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:47 pm

I wouldn't worry about their comments Vidar; that has always been the premier Forum, but if things continue as they are, a year from now there will be nothing of interest there for the real film collector. If that's how the good guys treat their so called friends, then I am happy to be one of the bad guys.

Robert Crewdson

#8 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:50 pm

It's not due to one person, more like I get nothing positive vibes at all there anymore. Specialized forums should stay on topic. No problem telling a joke, mention something in the news, just let it be at least 95% on topic. The unmentionable we can try to stay off

Thanks for your support, I feel at home here

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#9 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:56 pm

Gentlemen,
Just keep up the good work here and thank you for your dedication to film.For me,my films provide a connection (call it nostalgia if you will) that bring me much joy and happiness.I too have noticed that the other forum seems to have fewer and fewer threads of interest for me.I'm still a member there and shall remain so for the immediate future,but I too wonder how long it will be before the purely film discussions trickle away altogether.

Douglas Warren

#10 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:06 pm

Vidar, you're bound to feel at home, you made it. Seriously, take no notice of any adverse comments, cine is obviously a four letter
word, film is another naughty one. Its got a lot in common with Scientology has the electronic movie projection, it must be all embracing, the one true way. How many of those video forums entertain film/cine, none. I reckon its like a disease, slow creeping,
then before you know it, the urge to sell all your cine gear takes hold like nothing else, remember it happened before with Video,
many were taken by the "video bug", a bit like "Hong Kong Flu", it was an epidemic, many eventually saw the error of their ways and desperately tried to buy back their long lost film collections, but how could they be taken seriously again, they were tempted and
were found lacking, but we all love the repentant sinner, some came back to the fold, but some went to the "dark side" and 'tis them
now who are the carriers of this electronic menace, which will be superceded by another format and they'll come back to be redeemed
and it starts all over again.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#11 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Will delete this, if everyones okay with it?

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#12 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:05 pm

I'm o.k. with it Vidar.

Timothy Duncan

#13 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:14 pm

Reading through it, I can't see anything we said is wrong. I will stand for what I've said ... Getting unsure here, to delete or not to delete ... It's just stating what's happening, isn't it?

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#14 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:38 pm

It's YOUR forum, to do with as you please Vidar. No laws are being broken and you are being quite civil despite the backlash. One thing that irked me about the unmentionable forum, is that the moderators don't seem to care if some of it's members are out of line or downright rude. I read some of the things awhile ago that you guys were referring to that were posted there. I know it wasn't funny to you, but when you said in one of the posts: "I know I am wasting time here", I laughed because I know that there are some members there that are absolutely clueless and thick skulled.

I also wanted to say that it takes a courageous man to do what he feels is the right thing even if it has the potential to stir some people up. I personally don't like conflict, but nothing ever can be changed if you keep quiet about something you feel is wrong. You've got some loyal guys here Vidar who support you 100%.

Timothy Duncan

#15 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:47 pm

Thank you. Warms my heart. Appreciate that, but will insist it's our forum and we will consider all suggestions. So please, claim your part in this. We are doing this together

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#16 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:09 am

Totally agree, you have done nothing wrong Vidar, you love your hobby, nothing to be ashamed of there and have formed a group
of like minded folk who all share your view, its a shrinking hobby, but at least we can try to keep it truly celluloid as long as possible.

Hugh Thompson Scott

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Chat anyone?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor