THX, Daysets, The Movies opening and The Killers

#1 by Tom Photiou , Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:31 pm

I have a fair number of excellent short reels, (100ft reels) full of excellent promo's, trailers and other unusual items including what I consider to be one of the best intros to any film show. These items were either imports or supplied by fellow collectors, all are A1 quality in every way, the screenshots are not great due to the fact all of these items are fast moving, but they are pin sharp with excellent colours and first class sound as is usually the case with 16mm films.

Anyone who has seen the TV series "The Movies” will know the excellent opening with a montage of fast moving clips that blend brilliantly into each other and the music that accompanies this opening is also outstanding. When I watched this series I thought if I could get a few of these openings onto 16 they would make the one of the best, (if not THE best) opening to any trailer reel/promo or even just at the start of a feature, so I managed to obtain a few copies and the image on screen is superb, great colours and sound, If you haven’t seen this series I cannot recommend it enough, by far the best documentary about films I’ve seen in years. This is the opening I now have on 16 and for those who haven’t seen it, here it is, and on the big screen it looks and sounds great, my own are cut at the end of “The Movies” title and obviously does not include the last credit of "produced by".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq0yYNCA...nnel=CowMissing

Other items on the reels include various THX animated logos one of which is where it all breaks down as the opening sound slows and the top of the letters fall, in true Pixar fashion , in flies the repair man with his tool box and opens various doors within the letters and fixes it to the well-known THX sound lifting the roof. There is also the Simpsons THX animation which is great fun, next up is a warning to those who wish to be naughty while watching the movie. Most of the images are not well framed in the images so it looks like somethings missing off the edge, it isn't, its my crappy picture taking.

There is also a live music performance from The Killers who play their hit song from 2020, the blowback, again, very good sound and image. The last items are the opening titles to the TV series The Monkees on LPP stock and three cinema daysets from the states as per images, again, all with vibrant colours and pin sharp images.
Sometimes, wading through the little reels reminds me of the items I keep saying i'll put together, now I must.

The following members like this: Graham Sinden, Greg Perry, Martin Dew and Paul Browning

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 04.03.2024 | Top

RE: THX, Daysets, The Movies opening and The Killers

#2 by Greg Perry , Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:33 pm

Tom,

Exceptional color and clarity! I enjoy these bits as well--fun additions to run with a feature...

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#3 by Tom Photiou , Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:17 pm

These are all still on one reel, I dont want to start hacking them up to put onto films we may only view once maybe twice a year.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#4 by Greg Perry , Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:18 am

Agree, I have all my trailers, adverts and day sets separate from any features. I have thought about attaching them to appropriate features/TV shows, but I am afraid I will lose track of them. Also, I enjoy watching them on their own as shorts when time is scarce.

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#5 by Tom Photiou , Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:00 am

For years I attached most of my trailers to the start of features but over recent years I've separated them and now have them on trailer reels. All are 200dt only with two exceptions, those are the Disney trailers and promos which are on two 600ft spools. All the others are on 200s and are either made up of a particular actor or decades, I.E. trailers of the 70s /80s 90s 2000s or, through the decades with one each from the 70s/80s and 90s. The cinema ad reels are all left on their original 200 reels. All make good starters or just an hour or so of ads and trailers which as it happens, is what I viewed last evening.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#6 by Martin Dew , Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:49 pm

I'm still on the hunt for those THX trailers, Tom. Do you know which company produced them on S8? It wasn't Derann, was it?

I am proud to say that I was part of the small creative team at THX who developed the 'Tex' trailer (repair man) with Pixar's John Lasseter back in 1996 at Skywalker Ranch. Those were the days!

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#7 by Tom Photiou , Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:37 pm

Hi Martin, If I'm honest with you, I have no idea, I would imagine it would be Derann if they did them on super 8, these that I have are on 16mm. When put out via an amp the sound is pretty good to say the least. We only use twin mono for the 16 and super 8 full full stereo if I use the Sankyo. Never been interested in bothering with the 5:1 but the quality of sound produced by these THX items, (and all the 16s) is pretty phenomenal, clearly recorded from a digital source.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Cops and Robbers

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor