Lost for words, Dawn of the dead

#1 by Tom Photiou , Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:16 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Just when you think you've seen the craziest price on ebay, and this turns up, a popular film among the horror fans, but can anyone tell me why it would sell for this when it is fading??
Surely it would be cheaper to have a new print run off from the un-cut blu ray. Am i missing something perhaps?

Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235479708250

Of course, we dont know if it's been paid for as yet but I hope for the seller it has, and well done to him, (or her).

The following contents have been linked to this post::

Paul Browning likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: Lost for words, Dawn of the dead

#2 by Paul Browning , Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:37 pm

I wouldn't pay that much for it if was lpp and scope. A day of celebration for the owner, lets see if it gets relisted, the madness continues. I 've paid more than i would have liked for plenty of prints, but not in this condition........

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:00 am

That name sounds familiar, Wonder if it is Ted Schroeder?

Me too has paid more, in my mind insane, price for a few prints. 1200 dollar for The Empire Strikes Back on Super 8, 900 pounds for Return of the Jefi, 600 pounds for Star Wars, 500 and some for Alien are my most expensive titles. Guess 250 pounds for a decent scope of Jaws on 16mm was a bargain then. Now, with how the banks, governments are screwing us over, I can’t afford anything anymore :-(

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#4 by Paul Browning , Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:09 am

Yes vidar it is Ted. To be fair to him he can't control the runaway fingers on the keyboards across the world, and he's always been good with me on the costs, but yes i share your frustration of very high prices for films that could be bought for a fraction of the end price now especially some of the super 8 titles, hindsight is wonderful thing ........

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#5 by Don Cunningham , Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:44 pm

The price is from those who like this particular movie, perhaps their favorite movie. I have seen intense appreciation from others on this particular title, so the heart wants what the heart wants.

Vidar Olavesen likes this

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

#6 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:16 pm

Paul, yes, Ted is a great guy and hus starting price wasn’t unfair, happy for him, hope it goes through. Lots of unserious people on eBay

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#7 by Tom Photiou , Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:45 pm

Don, I get what you say, if it's something you really really want and money is no object then yes, my thoughts though are, the buyer could get a new copy from a 4K blu ray made up for less and it would have outstanding colour and sound. Perhaps the buyer may not be aware of this though.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#8 by Gwyn Morgan , Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:10 pm

It’s a sign of the times,eBay has quite a few prints turning or red / pink whatever,and starting prices range tween £100 and £300 .I understand if it’s a good condition print and is sought after,but prices for some films has got really silly.
It’s almost as if there has been a sudden increase in people wanting to watch films on any format.Judging by some of the daft comments on some sites I’m not really sure why there is the sudden interest.Still each to his own.
Good luck to the sellers.

Tom Photiou likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#9 by Tom Photiou , Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:18 pm

Again though Gwyn, I'm not getting why though when a new print could be made for less, I do understand many people are happy with fade, i get that, but I'll never get why sellers start faded prints at such stupid high prices, (not in this case though, this is an excellent seller).

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 03.26.2024 | Top

#10 by Gwyn Morgan , Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:36 pm

That’s it Tom,we know you could get a new print for less,obviously in this age of prosperity for some money is no object or perhaps for reasons best know only to the buyer “ I must have it”.
Yes this seller is very good and he certainly has some very good films but in my case buying from the USA has become expensive,by the time you pay tax for this and that and increased postage it’s not for me any more.Back in the last century I bought quite a few from across the water Lawrence of Arabia and French Connection to name two,but costs were low.
I still think people have more money than sense,but each to his own.😁

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#11 by Tom Photiou , Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:44 pm

Absolutely. Regarding the buying from overseas, i was the first to rant about global shipping via ebay after the first time I used it a 16mm print to Spain appeared to get lost and I had no way of tracking it. The buyer then opened up a case as not recieved, BUT, I ranted too soon. After both my buyer and myself were refunded, he then jumped on to say it turned up but he didn't know what to do. Ebay then messaged me to say this buyer had history of this and therefore he was kicked off.
I started to use it again for the smaller films to the states and have to say the advantages are,
1/ both buyer and seller are completely covered for losses,
2/ ebay deal with everything during any case thats opened,
3/ all taxes are sorted out by ebay, no export forms to fill out,
4/ they tell you when its recieved, when its cleared and on the way, and again when its delivered.

The most important point here is, if you buy from the states and the seller uses GS, you pay a normal price, those who dont use GS seem to add stupid money on, I've seen 16mm prints for around £150 and it states, + (in some cases) the same again for ship[ping + half again for taxes, in those cases you just have to ignore the sale. I would only use one or two sellers from he states, but agree with Gwyn, it is generally way over what any film is worth.

Back to thread thread though, on top of the dawn of the dead film is £90 for postage but tax isn't mentioned, the print may well be staying in the states but if it were to be flying over seas, the tax on top of that price would be as much as another fim, BUT as said, well done to the seller and hopefully the buyer will also be happy. still nuts though

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#12 by Graham Sinden , Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:54 pm

You make a good point there Tom about making a new print. Just curious though, how long would it take to make a new print of the complete feature? I know just making a 200ft film can take months so how long would a feature take?

Graham S

Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#13 by Tom Photiou , Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:50 am

Thats a good point Graham, it would be a case of, whats worth having is worth waiting for.
It probably would be several months but the result would be a brand new print on low fade stock. For my own mind, if i had to pay a grand or more for the films i really wanted i would switch to digital projection without hesitation.

Graham Sinden likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#14 by Graham Sinden , Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:52 am

I'm totally the same Tom. Even if it was my favourite film of all time there's no way I would pay a grand for any feature. I'd be happy with the trailer on Super 8 and good old Blu Ray for the feature.

Graham S

Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#15 by Tom Photiou , Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:04 am

As i get a little older i often look at all the films on the shelves and wonder how many i would end up with if i did remove anything that has any degree of fade,as well as wonder what i would have to pay to get some of titles today. Must add, it is nice to know our collections still hold a value, i think most of us thought that our collections would be worth next to zero once Derann closed up, how wrong we were., but going the other way, i never in million years thought that some day faded or scratched films would sell for hundruds let alone thousands.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#16 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:25 am

Not quite the same but:
Titanic 'door' prop that kept Rose alive sells for $718,750 (£569,739).
So maybe a 16mm 1600 spool that one held the original Star Wars film................???? and so on and on and on....

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#17 by Tom Photiou , Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:10 am

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

🤣🤣🤣 I guess those rich buyers have no idea what to do next with their dosh, it just keeps getting funnier, but I guess as already said, if it's what they like and they have the cash, so be it.
This particular Zombie film does seem to have a huge following along with a few others. One that always seems to sell for big money is Night of the living dead, (1968 version) be it on 16 or super 8. I've not actually watch it myself other than extended clips on TV documentary's, from what i can see it was more or less the first of it's kind, the Zombie films before hand were very old style.

This particular film sold on ebay for a mortgage price is clearly the 1978 version which did really well at the box office which was rare for a film like this. It was heavily cut to start with so this print being uncut is likely to be the appeal for the buyer, my Brother has the ultimate uncut re-release on DVD which he bought for a fiver, I watched it once, as a horror film I do see it's appeal, I do like horror films very much but not zombie films.

As a point of interest, another very gory horror film, Evil dead 2, is enjoying some high bids as I thought it would,

Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166663833908

The first evil dead film in 81 was a must see, everyone seemed to be talking about it. Here in the UK the silly scene where the woman is raped by a tree, (yup 🤣) was cut before being restored later. Some years later at the age of around 22/23 I was very excited to have offered to me, by an ex video rental store owner, his banned, un-cut VHS video which had to be taken off the counter, along with many others as they were branded, "video nasties" and were banned from being hired out. It had many viewings with my mates.

The following contents have been linked to this post::

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#18 by Don Cunningham , Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:52 pm

Creating new prints is dangerous territory and hassle for those that just want to watch it. There is charm to an original print vs new from digital, red or not. Why spring for creating a new one from a disc when you can just spin the disc? There is a reason the bidder put down whatever price they did.

Tom Photiou likes this

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

#19 by Tom Photiou , Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:34 pm

I agree Don, regarding producing new 16mm prints from a disc, I also agree 10%, to me there is no point, it'll be a lot cheaper and easier to project the disc. I have only ever had repair sections imported to improve and restore my own prints, a great job they do as well.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Happy birthday
off2 Dialogue presents a Super 8 activist from Norway: Eivind Mork

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor