Home Alone & other single stripe sound releases.

#1 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:54 pm

Because the new releases are now on single stripe, I'm curious to know where the recordings are done now if anyone could help.
Are they recorded here in the UK or is the whole process done under one roof in Europe or elsewhere?

I did read elsewhere that some prints of the Home Alone 600ft reel had a couple of split second sound drop outs, (not many, but definatly noticeable) if that is the case, is it due to the new single stripe having a problem or was this something that was picked up and fixed? I am curious simply because I still no nothing or very little, about what the stripe is and who manufactures it. It is an important part of any new release. .

My only 600ft release, Jurassic Park, has the light grey stripe (and balance track) which was done by Alberto and it has to be said, the sound is flawless, the best I've heard on a super 8 print.
My own thoughts would be that as there is only a very few prints of each release made, they should be tested by viewing before they sealed and sold. If I paid £400 (which I wouldn't) for a 30 minute film and heard any flaws on the sound track, I would not be at all happy.

Paul Browning likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: Home Alone & other single stripe sound releases.

#2 by Graham Sinden , Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:34 am

Hi Tom,

As I explained before, from what I know ALL recordings for films from the USA are done by Adam Deierling regardless of who sells them. I know for sure Reel Image use him and I'm pretty sure Dave Baker does too. Also Home Alone was supplied by Adam so I'm sure he recorded these himself. All films sold in the UK from Dorun are recorded by Dorun here.

I've never read anything about the sound on the Home Alone release (where did you read this) but I doubt very much it is a problem with the mono stripe as when I inspect it while cleaning and rewinding, it is perfect, totally in line and no breaks etc. It could just be a bit of noise on the signal at that moment or maybe something on the mag head just for a split second.

I'm not sure if Alberto did any recordings in the early days and then stopped. He certainly doesn't record the latest releases. As Jurassic Park was an early release he may have done it, best ask Dave Baker.

I also do not know where the new mono stripe is applied. I believe it is done in Germany but not 100% sure.

Graham S

Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#3 by Tom Photiou , Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:10 am

Graham,
Thank you for your reply. I think Alberto did the stripe on the early releases, not the actual recording.
The Home Alone sound (though first class in quality) was mentioned on another channel, there was a mention of a couple of prints with one or two drop outs, though they are literally off and on again so dont stick out like a sore thumb, but they were there, may have just been a couple prints, but thanks for clearing up who records the sounds.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#4 by Graham Sinden , Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:27 pm

Tom,

I only said about Alberto's recording as I was informed it wasn't very good but not sure if it true or not.

P.S the next release from Dorun films is having Stereo tracks applied.

Graham S

Tom Photiou likes this
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

ELMO GS 1200 XENON REFLECTOR REMAKE /REFURB
Gone with the wind for sale!!

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor