Bell & Howell 482A Super 8 Silent projector

#1 by Thomas Peters , Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:45 pm

Does anyone know the frame rates that these are supposed to run at? I finally converted mine to use a halogen lamp, so I started using it again, and I noticed that the movement on certain films looks too slow. I measured it, and I'm getting somewhere between 19 and 20 fps -- this is with the speed knob turned all the way up. None of the various Super 8 databases give a number -- nor does the user manual, which I have that came with the projector.

I installed a new belt when I got it about 2 years ago, and it is definitely still good and not loose. I just cleaned it and all the rubber parts again, and re-lubed everything. It runs quietly, so my guess is that it just was not designed to go above 19-20 fps. I measure simply by counting the sprockets on the sprocket wheel, and with a stopwatch count 100 rotations (with a piece of tape on it as a guide), then do the math. This more or less tells you the fps. The more rotations, the more accurate you will be. It's crude, but it works for my purposes.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

Those Ubiquitous GAF Dual 8 Silent projectors
Bauer T610 Service Manual

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor