Fade restoration, I'm still not convinced

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:48 pm

This is an interesting item put up on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=deskto..._channel=pro8mm

I know there is a treatment to restore some colour back into film, though not proven how long it will last, I'm too sure what this application is not would I be convinced until a collector well know and trusted to us tried it.
Are they saying a single application to a faded film will make it all better? 🤣.
Pro 8mm California have (according to their website) been going since 1972, perhaps they genuinely do have the answer, but how come no one knew this all these years?

The following members like this: Paul Browning and Eivind Mork

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: Fade restoration, I'm still not convinced

#2 by Paul Browning , Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:08 pm

I'll bet the cost far exceeds the 400ft extract, and not that good an improvement anyway, how we got conned .......

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#3 by Tom Photiou , Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:25 pm

I know the price is expensive, I think I read that someone had an optical print done and it cost around 300 in think if memory serves me right.
I think for me, once a films faded or fading thats the end, if it was something mega rare then that may be different but until we know how long the treatment will last it's something I'll watch in the background, after over 40 years of collecting I would prefer to continue to move fading films on and replace with good ones.
At least it can be done though, thats a plus for the hobby for many.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#4 by Thomas Peters , Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:03 pm

If I understood the youtube description properly, it sounds like they re-printed the film. So that would be a dupe of a Super 8 print. Yuck.
Might as well just make a new Super 8 print from a digitial source -- oh wait, that's been done already.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

#5 by Tom Photiou , Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:05 am

Fair point, revisiting the video, it does state this is a potential, i guess you could say that about any print, at least people are trying I guess. I still think the prices are just too much without knowing how long it was last before the fade starts again.
Until the film industry gives any restoration treatment a thumbs up it'll just be trial and error, as it stands, the fade process cannot be reversed, but it can be slowed and improved on with the process available if you think a print is worth it.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#6 by Thomas Peters , Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:59 pm

If we are talking about collectors restoring the color to their actual print, it would have to be some process where the whole film is treated of soaked in some solution that applies the correct colors that have faded -- I can't imagine that being possible other than to somehow dye the whole print with perhaps a light blue, like using a color filter. But it seems impossible to selectively add color to only parts of the image. I'm talking about the one individual print you have -- not scanning into digital, where color can be restored at a much finer detail, which is what is now done for blu-ray, etc.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

#7 by Tom Photiou , Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:31 pm

To be fair Thomas, the company who do this do put the film through a heck of chemical process. As long as there are still fair colours in the print they can make a massive improvement to a print and bring it back to a good colour life. I cant recall the costings but with all the shipping that goes with it all, it wouldn't be something I would choose to do do, I've been collecting films for a very long time and got to an age where I just appreciate decent colour prints on low fade stocks, the films that are fading will either stay with me until I bin them or will sell them on, the later being the most likely option. If I sell a faded film it is listed as such and will have screenshots of my print not some pin sharp perfect colour image copied and pasted from the internet, I just do not get those sellers who do that, those images are nothing what so ever to do with the prints they list, but yes the process is out there and available in Italy.

Martin Dew likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#8 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:42 pm

I am to send a 1200’reel for treatment shortly, price for treatment is 60 Euro, so it should not be 300, unless it was a 16mm, which might be more than 60 Per reel. I will post some pictures when it’s done

Friendly guy too

Martin Dew and Tom Photiou say Thank You!

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#9 by Thomas Peters , Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:22 pm

This is basically a rhetorical question, but...
How can the chemicals restore color that has disappeared? If the chemicals have dye, then it would have to cover the whole image. If it added blue, then both the sky and your grass would be blue. It would have to know what colors were there to begin with to selectively dye the correct color, much like when a computer does it.

In any case, it would only be worth doing to one-of-a-kind prints, and certainly not a Ken Film's STAR WARS digest.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

Last edited 11.21.2023 | Top

#10 by Martin Dew , Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:00 pm

Actually I'd love to get some of my cutdowns redone like The Odessa File, Midnight Express and The Wild Geese. But it would have to be a rigorous recolouring process to get me to part with the dosh. If the result just ends up looking muted and grey, then it wouldn't be worth it.

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#11 by Thomas Peters , Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:47 pm

Maybe they hand paint it like they did for the Melies shorts back in the early 20th century!

Unless the chemicals can somehow increase the stauration of any color, and it doesn't have to detect where on the film a specific color is. I'm just guessing here.

But that youtube description said that STAR WARS extract was printed on new film -- again that strongly implies to me that the original print was scanned and then a computer recolored it, then it was printed back to film.

Zitat
Test shows the potential to restore Magenta faded film materials. This was printed on the New Ektachrome 94 stock.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

#12 by Tom Photiou , Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:42 pm

£60 for a 1200ft is actually pretty good, thanks for that Vidar, for some reason I thought it was that sort of price for a 200, I'm happy to be wrong on this.
I Agree with Martin, I would like to hear from others who have had the work done and perhaps any before and after screenshots, but NOT those who use a filter.

With printing from digital being so cheap, (and I will add to this later) it would be pointless doing the treatment to reprint a copy off film, the colours dont come back as they were when new, it is an improvement and the more fade your film has, the less it will work, if it faded to red or pink with no colour left, it cannot be done.

Those three titles you have Martin were among my favourites so having very good colours restored would be great but I'V a long way to go to be convinced that having new copies made would be better, or, simply project the blu-ray and save your cash for buying another film with good colours

Martin Dew likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#13 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:46 pm

Just got this price from him, so it is current price

Here is a Norwegian collectors Jaws, before and after pics. 16mm

Attached pictures:
IMG_1717.jpeg   IMG_1718.jpeg   IMG_1719.jpeg   IMG_1759.jpeg   IMG_1761.jpeg   IMG_1762.jpeg   IMG_1763.jpeg  

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#14 by Mark Mander , Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:54 pm

I'd be interested in seeing the results Vidar, Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#15 by Tom Photiou , Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:28 pm

A definite improvement.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#16 by Thomas Peters , Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:44 pm

You're getting a dupe of your original film. I'm not saying that's good or bad, but it just confirms my suspicion that you can't restore color back to the original unique physical film print. The output of the process is a digital copy and a printed-on-film copy. The original faded film remains the same.

Now I'm curious if they handle adding a magnetic stripe with the soundtrack in-sync.

I couldn't find anything on their website about this process -- probably because I was looking for a process that physically restores the color on your original print. Now from their youtube I see that is not the case -- so their processes described on their website for digital scanning is what they offer.
https://www.pro8mm.com/collections/scan-...-8mm-to-digital
I can't find anything where it says they print back to film. In fact, they clearly say:

Zitat
We are unable to make prints of super 8 film. Most people will scan to digital and if needed, blow up the digital to 35mm at a post facility using the high-quality files we provide.

Found here: https://www.pro8mm.com/pages/faqs
Color me (pun intended) confused.

Zitat
One application for Pro8mm's new Film Out tool is to restore badly magenta faded Super 8 prints. Original Super 8 film can be scanned to digital then color and exposure corrected and then Film Out as a new colorful film print. This was an old Elmo promo film that had gone badly magenta and we scanned to digital , corrected and put back out to Super 8 Film.

Their website says they don't have the capability to print! What am I missing here????

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

#17 by Thomas Peters , Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:03 pm

Quote: Vidar Olavesen wrote in post #8
I am to send a 1200’reel for treatment shortly, price for treatment is 60 Euro, so it should not be 300, unless it was a 16mm, which might be more than 60 Per reel. I will post some pictures when it’s done

Friendly guy too

Quote: Vidar Olavesen wrote in post #13
Just got this price from him, so it is current price

Who's "him"? Maybe we are not talking about "pro8mm", who made the youtube video that Tom posted in the first post above.
Is that why I'm confused?

Thanks

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

#18 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:07 pm

No, his company is Movie Magnetic I believe and is Alberto Vangelisti.

Some info here : http://mimundoensuper-8.blogspot.com/201...ubstrative.html

You get your film back, no dupe or digital copy

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#19 by Thomas Peters , Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:12 pm

Thanks, but I thought this thread was about Pro8mm and their process. When did it transition to a thread about another company and their process?

No wonder I've been going crazy. Still doesn't explain how Pro8mm says on youtube that they printed back to film from digital, yet their FAQ says they don't have the capability to print.

I'm too exhausted now to go through http://mimundoensuper-8.blogspot.com/201...ubstrative.html and get even more confused.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

#20 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:36 pm

Probably my fault, thought it was the process of removing the magenta layer, never heard of anyone else doing it. My apologies

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#21 by Thomas Peters , Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:44 pm

No problem, at least now I know I'm not crazy!

They must add some colors like blue to the film to have the same effect as a blue filter. I've never actually tried a blue filter, but I've heard it helps. The filter would be a lot cheaper soultion, too, and if my memory is correct, screenshots I've seen with a filter look a lot like those corrected pics of JAWS above.

Now the Pro8mm process, since they scan to computer, should have a much better result than what they've shown. Their result looks much like a blue filter, too.

All this reminds me of Ted Turner and his crayolas with B&W films! Remember how P-O'd Orson Welles was when he thought they would colorize CITIZEN KANE? And wasn't he on his death-bed when he said it?

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

#22 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:42 pm

Blue filters help, though you lose some light

My 16mm Man Called Horse, with and without filters

Attached pictures:
IMG_2531.jpeg   IMG_2532.jpeg  

Tom Photiou likes this

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#23 by Thomas Peters , Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:49 am

Oh, so that's the same blog that I linked to recently that had the 10 parts on various Super 8 projectors.

So, in short, the process is like Visine -- it gets the red out!

I'd be curious to compare a blue filter to the chemical process. From your screenshots, my gut feeling is that a color filter is probably good enough.

But my gut is often wrong.

I have very few color films, and they all have those darned lines from my old Elmo. It would be great if there were a process to remove the lines permanently, not like lubing a film to hide base scratches for awhile. My LPP Disney cartoon shorts I bought used from Derann could use it. Also, my LPP ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD from Red Fox, though I stopped projecting it for awhile until I eilminated the scratching problem, so it is not too bad.

Tom Photiou likes this
Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

Last edited 11.22.2023 | Top

#24 by Tom Photiou , Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:54 am

I did use gels/filters for a very short while but while it obviously hides some of the red, it takes light away from the screen, (obviously), so the use of them was very short lived, I think I tried it on three short films and that was when I decided to start clearing out and aiming for better quality films instead. At the end of the day you cant polish a turd.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#25 by Paul Browning , Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:23 am

You can use dichroic glass filters for more light output, you may find them expensive though but worth a try if its a film you intent to keep, or have more than one with the problem, the coloured gels are for changing flood lights or colour balancing, so will absorb light from the lamp output, glass has better transmission and they don't fade through time and heat.....

Tom Photiou likes this
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

Independent 8 - trouble with phone land line
Friday at Blackpool

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor